[Forum Mod][GM+TM Compatible] FTL: Forum Mods

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Law

[Forum Mod][GM+TM Compatible] FTL: Forum Mods

Postby Law » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:22 am

FTL: Forum Mods
For Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey

FTL: Report Post Button v1.0
This mini forum mod (not for FTL itself) returns a feature that's been hidden away in the forum's theme. And that is the report post button. Found in most phpBB installations, it was rather inconveniencing to not be able to report a specific post without going through the PM method.

It turns out that there wasn't a graphic for the report post button (which was in fact hidden on the page), so adding an image via CSS allowed this to happen:

Clicking on the button would direct you to where the forum would, where you can fill in a form telling the moderators all about the infringing post.

FTL: Unread Post Button v1.01
This script re-adds the button next to forum topics, meaning you don't have to search to where you last left off a forum post. It also removes the 'unread posts' icon from next to the page list, and adds a button to view the last post that a user has made.

Usage:
If you haven't already, install Greasemonkey for Firefox or Tampermonkey in Chrome (the inbuilt user script support may/may not work). Download the script from the link below, and install it when prompted. After that, just open up a forum topic.

Downloads
Last edited by Law on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Forum mods, for your convenience!
boa13

Re: [Forum Mod][GM+TM Compatible] FTL: Report post button

Postby boa13 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:06 pm

Good work! :D

Can you also restore the "jump to first unread post" that is present (but with no image) in the forum thread listings? When you view a forum, it should be on the right of the last poster's name (after the name, and before the date), in the rightmost column.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks a lot for this: I've been wanting a way to report posts for a while. :D

EDIT: Just went on a rampage, flagging all of the spam posts. The spammers are getting more spammy than ever. >.>
Last edited by VanguardOfValor on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:58 pm

boa13 wrote:Good work! :D

Can you also restore the "jump to first unread post" that is present (but with no image) in the forum thread listings? When you view a forum, it should be on the right of the last poster's name (after the name, and before the date), in the rightmost column.
I'd love this so much if you could put up a script to do this.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
Law

Re: [Forum Mod][GM+TM Compatible] FTL: Forum Mods

Postby Law » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:51 am

boa13 wrote:Can you also restore the "jump to first unread post" that is present (but with no image) in the forum thread listings? When you view a forum, it should be on the right of the last poster's name (after the name, and before the date), in the rightmost column.

Done, though that's actually for the last post made, not the first unread post. I wrote up that as well. It's good to know I'm doing something helpful!
Forum mods, for your convenience!
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:01 am

Thanks very much for the scripts you wrote :)
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:19 pm

They work great! Thanks! :)
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:05 pm

...Although the script works great and I just went completely bonkers on yet another wave of spam (probably still around at this time of posting), I really wish we "only" needed it for everyday user stuff, not avalanches of spammy garbage.

I know raising the bar on forum entry is generally frowned on, since it's best to encourage new posters, but this forum is in pretty desperate need of a better gating mechanism than what's currently in place. :?
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:48 pm

That spam avalanche is not around anymore. ;)

We have been facing a new kind of spam in the past few days, which I call "live spammers", since they advertise streaming web site for current live events, typically sports. These spammers are very aggressive, and typically post dozens of threads very fast, around the end of the afternoon / beginning of the evening (Europe time). We are not the only gaming forum suffering from them, by the way. :roll:

I appreciate you took the time to report them, and when I deleted the threads, it actually helped confirm that I was not making mistakes. :mrgreen: In the heat of the action, I would not want to delete a perfectly legitimate thread lost in a sea of dubious content. Don't worry, the mods are careful about that. ;)

That said, you do not have to report them, they are usually painfully obvious and removed as soon as a mod visits the forum. :twisted:

What is more tricky, and where the report tool gets most interesting and useful, is when spammers post replies in existing threads, or put discreet spam links in their signature, or even more subtle, only add spam links in their signature after a few days have passed. If you spot such spam, then we will definitely appreciate a report.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:43 pm

Kieve wrote:...Although the script works great and I just went completely bonkers on yet another wave of spam (probably still around at this time of posting), I really wish we "only" needed it for everyday user stuff, not avalanches of spammy garbage.

I know raising the bar on forum entry is generally frowned on, since it's best to encourage new posters, but this forum is in pretty desperate need of a better gating mechanism than what's currently in place. :?

It's not frowned upon really, it's just very difficult to implement restrictions that work well on human spammers as opposed to automatons which can be defeated.

The way avalanches of garbage have been pissing of our users i would say that restrictions would be welcome.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.