[MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
DrkTemplar

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby DrkTemplar » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:33 am

Loki421 wrote:EDIT: OMG I GOT IT WORKING FINALLY. THANKS!

That great! what was the issue? Just in case someone else has the same problem.
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:35 am

epeli wrote:
DrkTemplar wrote:
epeli wrote:However, there is a problem with this mod... the static ships make the beginning rather hard and late game (maxed ship with good crew/equipment) trivial. Really hope you find a workaround for that, this mod could be incredible if you can find a way to keep gameplay challenging and interesting even when the player already has an ideal ship.

This is the factor that will make or break the mod, imo. I will continue to try and balance the ships as people provide feedback. Let me know which ships were too easy, or too hard, and why.

I think you've done a pretty good job regarding overall balance. It's just that since you have infinite time and enemies to build your ship, it will end up being insanely strong. For example, my favorite equipment setup for 4 weapon ships is 4x Burst Laser II + Automated Re-Loader + Stealth Weapons + Weapon Pre-Igniter. Getting the stuff takes a while, but it destroys every single enemy ship in the current game without any risk.

If you want to add harder things - consider hacking events (especially against weapons/multiple systems) and enemy ships with higher survivability. Would it be possible to create a quest where you encounter a lone rebel flagship? At least a simple phase 1 fight?

The crew-based new sector extras are a very nice touch, even if the event gets a bit repetitive when you just check shops and blitz through sectors. But I guess there is no way to implement multiple different new sector events in this mod.
And oh, is there a difference between the rockman/crystal hull repair options?

Just for the record, I haven't implemented anything to make the enemy ships harder than you would see in vanilla, which is what I assume we would all want once you hit max ship.

Right now there is no difference between Rockman or Crystal hull repair. Open to all ideas though!!
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:36 am

Pyrrha wrote:edit also notice the zoltan ships dont have the super sheild after first sector

I will look into this, it was not intended. thanks!
Loki421

Postby Loki421 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:31 pm

DrkTemplar wrote:
Loki421 wrote:EDIT: OMG I GOT IT WORKING FINALLY. THANKS!

That great! what was the issue? Just in case someone else has the same problem.

Wish I knew. Did a third reinstall including wiping my save game files and everything just started working.
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:41 am

Pyrrha wrote:zoltan ships dont have the super sheild after first sector

There was one variant that didn't have the augmentation. Now they do. Please let me know if you continue to see this issue. Thanks

If any other modders knows why Zoltan ships wouldn't have the augmentation when it's defined in autoBlueprints, please let me know.
Mj64

Postby Mj64 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:49 am

With the rebel attacking fuel outpost being killed and the 'The pompous bastards expected free service FOR DEFEATING THE FEDERATION' line, this produce a plot hole. Here's a rebel reference you missed, hope this helps.
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:21 am

Mj64 wrote:With the rebel attacking fuel outpost being killed and the 'The pompous bastards expected free service FOR DEFEATING THE FEDERATION' line, this produce a plot hole. Here's a rebel reference you missed, hope this helps.

Thank you, fixed for next version.
Zaffre

Postby Zaffre » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:41 pm

DrkTemplar wrote:
Mj64 wrote:With the rebel attacking fuel outpost being killed and the 'The pompous bastards expected free service FOR DEFEATING THE FEDERATION' line, this produce a plot hole. Here's a rebel reference you missed, hope this helps.

Thank you, fixed for next version.

Actually there's quite a lot of plot holes. I've come across a lot of events like "A Federation military ship stranded" and several rebel ones. I would also like a scaling ship mechanism though it may be hard. It seems frustratingly hard at the beginning because of the two shield layers enemies have but if you use the Crystal ship and get another crystal weapon you've pretty much won.

A unique crew option for the Crystal crew would be cool too. Maybe he creates shards of crystal for use as missiles, or creates some and breaks them down for use as fuel?

Just my thoughts. I am enjoying the mod tremendously though.
Pyrrha

Postby Pyrrha » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:29 pm

DrkTemplar wrote:
Pyrrha wrote:zoltan ships dont have the super sheild after first sector

There was one variant that didn't have the augmentation. Now they do. Please let me know if you continue to see this issue. Thanks

If any other modders knows why Zoltan ships wouldn't have the augmentation when it's defined in autoBlueprints, please let me know.

once i get my pc back from daughter will give it a thorough test with the new .dat file.
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Zaffre wrote:Actually there's quite a lot of plot holes. I've come across a lot of events like "A Federation military ship stranded" and several rebel ones. I would also like a scaling ship mechanism though it may be hard. It seems frustratingly hard at the beginning because of the two shield layers enemies have but if you use the Crystal ship and get another crystal weapon you've pretty much won.

A unique crew option for the Crystal crew would be cool too. Maybe he creates shards of crystal for use as missiles, or creates some and breaks them down for use as fuel?

Just my thoughts. I am enjoying the mod tremendously though.

I didn't remove the concept of the Federation, but if the majority thinks I should I can. Any reference to the rebels should be removed though. I will take another look at the text for these.

As for the scaling, its not going to be easy because the ships cannot be dynamic based on your current sector like the original. I'm open to ideas, and haven't yet been able to test Whale Cancer's idea (been putting in OT at work). I do my testing with the Kestrel Variant A, because that is the starting ship in vanilla. the other ships may be easier or harder, but should be the case for the original game play as well. Do you find using the Crystal ship makes the base game easier as well? If not, why? Any information you can provide will be helpful.

I can make the Crystal Crew something different, but as it stands now, I have one for Crew, Fuel, Missiles, Drones, Repair, Sector Data. Without overlapping what else could I do?

*Also, The adjustments to the ships that appear in Deep Space didn't make it into this build. I noticed after I posted the build. Those will be in the next version, and I should be able to post that in 8 hours or so.

Thank you for your feedback!