[MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
bathrobehero

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby bathrobehero » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Looks great!

DrkTemplar wrote:I plan to have a download for testing by the end of the weekend (10/14). *Note this download may not contain all of the above features.

Will it come out today?
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:10 pm

bathrobehero wrote:Looks great!

DrkTemplar wrote:I plan to have a download for testing by the end of the weekend (10/14). *Note this download may not contain all of the above features.

Will it come out today?

I'm sorry, but my weekend has not gone as planned, I'm going to shot for next weekend.
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:50 am

Old Uncle Midwinter wrote:This is pretty much what I thought I would be getting when I bought the game. I would love for this - a mod that turns FTL into a legitimate Roguelike would be fantastic, more then fantastic, amazing. Exploration! Quests! Story! Not having the main game be painfully easy, and the final boss being linearly better unless you got an 'optimal' layout! :D

Anything I can do to support? I've got a mind full of words, and don't mind being a guinea pig for events or bug-testing. Anyhow, you've got all the approval I can throw your way - looking forward to this immensely!

I posted a link to the base mod. There is still a ton missing, but you can try out the endless space concept. The mod at this point shouldn't be too hard as the enemy ships have not yet been updated to fit the mod. If you have the time, I would love any feedback.
aveond

Postby aveond » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:17 pm

The endless space idea is a really good feature that I've wished was in the main game forever, thanks for that.
And on the harder enemies(I've been blasting through everything past sector 9ish). Maybe have them slightly dynamic? So that when you get better shields and engines and such (or more power, either or) the enemies become harder, or when you reach a certain sector?
(Like lets say that by sector 4 enemies start to have more than one shield and better weapons, sector 5ish you see more bomb weilding enemies+ more hp on ships? Sector 12 or so would have enemies with 3-4+ shields and stronger weapons?)

Just a suggestion :)
BUBBLE WORM FOR LIEF
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:53 pm

aveond wrote:The endless space idea is a really good feature that I've wished was in the main game forever, thanks for that.
And on the harder enemies(I've been blasting through everything past sector 9ish). Maybe have them slightly dynamic? So that when you get better shields and engines and such (or more power, either or) the enemies become harder, or when you reach a certain sector?
(Like lets say that by sector 4 enemies start to have more than one shield and better weapons, sector 5ish you see more bomb weilding enemies+ more hp on ships? Sector 12 or so would have enemies with 3-4+ shields and stronger weapons?)

Thank you for testing! and the feedback! All suggestions welcome!

The base game has dynamic ship strength, I assume based on the sector you're in. However with this mod, you will never actually progress in sector. Meaning you're always in sector 1. So as it stands, I don't currently see how, with XML modding only, that I can make the ships dynamic.

I have another build where the ship strengths are static, and some ships are weak, while others are a lot harder. This makes for a different experience. You will not feel like you're enemies constantly get harder, instead you will luck out from time to time and run into a weak enemy, and other times run into a hard enemy. In this situation, you will need to run from harder enemies. This could mean identifying them before combat and taking the "bribe" or another possible way out via text choices, or simply charging your FTL and retreating to the previous beacon, repair, and than go around them.

My next release will have the static ship strengths so that "we" can test the balance earlier than later. I ran into some XML formatting issue, but wanted to verify repeatedly "reloading" the crystal hidden worlds would not be an issue.
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:10 pm

DiEvAl wrote:Maybe make it so player progresses through sectors 1 - 7 normally, and then switches to secret sectors?

Also a great idea! This is what I originally wanted to do. The issue is Each Sector can have their own Start Beacon, but they seem to share the same End Beacon, with the exception of ones that end in a nebula, there is one for that as well. I can jump you to the hidden worlds at the start of "The Last Stand", but when you reach the End Beacon in the hidden worlds you would not be jumped back to a new hidden worlds sector.

I toyed with the idea of making a requirement in the End Beacon event, like a special ship augmentation or certain pilot system level, etc. The issue with that is, the user can change it. They can chose not to upgrade their pilot system, or to sell the augment. Plus I do not like the idea of reducing the augments down to 2 usable, and 1 useless one that is simply a requirement for endless jumping.
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:36 am

aveond wrote:The endless space idea is a really good feature that I've wished was in the main game forever, thanks for that.

Please download the latest version, and let me know if you're still blasting through. thanks!
aveond

Postby aveond » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:11 pm

Thank you for your quick response :D
And I think that the random ship idea is going to be fun (maybe more quests based on the stronger enemies?)
I havent tested the new mod update, but I'm guessing that:
1. The weaker ships will have a low scrap drop and low weapon drop
2. The medium ships (like... Idk a mantis ship with 2 shields (Choice to run or bribe?)) with a normal drop rate?(20-35 and a slightly higher weapon drop?)
3. The hard ships (Scouts, pirates and everything in between with 3 shields and more bombs?) with the highest scrap drop(40-60?)

Also I noticed that 4/10 times that I make a new normal game the first place I go to I'm met by a Zoltan bomber... WIth bombs o.o, Because I normally use a Fed cruiser(The Osprey) it gets to be a little bit of a pain, so I hope that zoltan bombers will be slightly reduced at the start o.o

Probably not a rebel
~Aveond.

#EDIT
YES! This the exact update that was needed, now the ships that should be challenging are... well, challenging!
Thanks for this change :D
BUBBLE WORM FOR LIEF
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:36 pm

aveond wrote:Thank you for your quick response :D
And I think that the random ship idea is going to be fun (maybe more quests based on the stronger enemies?)
I havent tested the new mod update, but I'm guessing that:
1. The weaker ships will have a low scrap drop and low weapon drop
2. The medium ships (like... Idk a mantis ship with 2 shields (Choice to run or bribe?)) with a normal drop rate?(20-35 and a slightly higher weapon drop?)
3. The hard ships (Scouts, pirates and everything in between with 3 shields and more bombs?) with the highest scrap drop(40-60?)

Also I noticed that 4/10 times that I make a new normal game the first place I go to I'm met by a Zoltan bomber... WIth bombs o.o, Because I normally use a Fed cruiser(The Osprey) it gets to be a little bit of a pain, so I hope that zoltan bombers will be slightly reduced at the start o.o

Probably not a rebel
~Aveond.

#EDIT
YES! This the exact update that was needed, now the ships that should be challenging are... well, challenging!
Thanks for this change :D

The rewards have not yet been updated for the mod, but due to the fact that you will not progress in "sectors" the autoRewards will be low. If this proves to be too much of a problem I will have to update each event rewards to something more specific. Keep in mind, you don't have a end game, so in "theory" you have more time to build up your ship, so lower rewards than vanilla may not be an issue. Are you playing on Easy or Hard?

I will look into the events that spawn the Zoltan Bomber, and see what I can do to limit them in the first sector. Keep the feedback coming, and you'll help shape this mod!!! thank you!
aveond

Postby aveond » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:27 pm

I play on both easy and normal and test with the Fed cruiser, and the Kestral Cruiser(mostly type B), because of that the Zoltan Bomber's have been a bit of a pain.
But after 3 or so tries I didnt run into another zoltan sector, must've been my bad luck :I
BUBBLE WORM FOR LIEF