Mod request: Homeworlds Mod

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Livebyfoma

Mod request: Homeworlds Mod

Postby Livebyfoma » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:20 am

I'm not sure which section of the forum to post this in, so I apologize in advance...

One of my biggest gripes with the game is that there is a chance certain homeworlds don't appear. To me, this is silly. In Spelunky, you have a shot at getting to City of Gold/Hell every single time you play, as long as you have the skill. You may get unlucky and have things spawn in crappy spots, but you always have the opportunity. To me, the fact that some homeworlds won't spawn is the equivalent of, say, the Udjat Eye only having a random chance to spawn, or the Black Market not having the Ankh. It's kind of unfair, I think you should always have the chance to get any of the secrets; you may get unlucky with weapons or spawn points, but they should always be available.

My solution? Every homeworld is guaranteed to be on the map somewhere. In my last several playthroughs, the Slug Home Nebula has only appeared once, and I didn't even get the event within it. It was the same story for the Rock Homeworlds, and I'm getting tired of it. I understand that this might unbalance it a little since homeworlds tend to have lots of extra scrap/items, but it would be nice to have. I have no clue how to mod and don't possess much technical know-how, so I was wondering if someone could whip up this mod?
Whale Cancer

Re: Mod request: Homeworlds Mod

Postby Whale Cancer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:25 am

I've been playing with the sector file and I don't think this is possible. You would need to narrow where the sectors can appear and it seems like you need a certain amount of options or the sector mapper crashes.

One could make the X-Controlled sectors equal to the X Homeworld sectors, but I'm not going to do it because it's not something I think is a good idea. It would be easy to DIY if you looked up some info on modding sectors.xml.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:36 pm

IIRC, you can set which is the minimal distance from the beggining each kind of sector must have (rock homeworlds always appearing quite late for instance). So, you could set all sectors except the homeworlds to appear no sooner than sector 3, and eliminate the minimum delay of homeworlds.

This should help you unlock all ships, except for the mantis (it requires some upgraded systems, and I'm not sure you'll have the scrap for that so early), and the unknown ship.
nilwolf

Postby nilwolf » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:59 am

Alternatively, it is possible to mod the game such that the necessary unlocking events show up even in non-homeworld sectors of the appropriate race.

If that isn't enough, it is also possible to mod the game such that the unlocking events show up on ANY sector.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:02 am

nilwolf wrote:Alternatively, it is possible to mod the game such that the necessary unlocking events show up even in non-homeworld sectors of the appropriate race.

If that isn't enough, it is also possible to mod the game such that the unlocking events show up on ANY sector.

You can also just use the profile editor to unlock ships.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
boa13

Postby boa13 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:31 am

I have moved this thread from Working Mods to Mod Development.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Livebyfoma

Postby Livebyfoma » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks for your help, everyone. I want to change it so it's more "fair" with secret spawns and I at least get a shot at them on every playthrough rather than it being mostly up to chance, but I don't want to make it easier than it should be or cheat.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Livebyfoma wrote:Thanks for your help, everyone. I want to change it so it's more "fair" with secret spawns and I at least get a shot at them on every playthrough rather than it being mostly up to chance, but I don't want to make it easier than it should be or cheat.

Unfortunately, with the existing widely-used XML modding tools currently available, what you're hoping for essentially can't be done. This would instead need to be a feature request for the actual game itself.

A similar request I saw, simply asked to be able to see what sectors are further down the road by hovering over them on the sector map, since it's possible the homeworlds did spawn, but not in the chain where you travelled, because you didn't know that to get to the Mantis Homeworlds you needed to go up, rather than down, on the first sector choice. If there are non-spawning homeworlds, in this case, you'd at least know by the end of Sector 1 (and I recall seeing something indicating that all homeworlds were, in fact, guaranteed to spawn, even if you didn't encounter them; not sure if that's been verified or not, though).
The Hawk

Postby The Hawk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:12 pm

i dont know if this can help, but i have experienced having no nebulas at all in an entire playthrough. When looking at the sector map, there was only green and red sectors.