[WEAPON PACK, 19.5% DONE] Concepts and Suggestions

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Arfy

Re: [WEAPON PACK, 16% DONE] Concepts and Suggestions

Postby Arfy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:38 am

Chrono Vortex wrote:I had another idea. You could make a cluster missile style weapon, like the artillery from steamtex's . That could be interesting.

Hmm, I could take a stab at something like that, though don't expect anything perfect from me, honestly.

And yes, I've tried GIMP at making the Chain-fire beam, though that literally took me 2 hours. So yeah, it's kind of hard switching from Macromedia.
Discord: ATLAS#9226
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:31 am

Arfy wrote:I've been working on the cluster missile you suggested, though my computer has been acting (mainly Macromedia Flash 8) and I'm unable to properly make a animation sheet for it. So, I've literally taken a screenshot of it.

Here's the base image; Image

(By the way, it should be resized to W: 33 and H: 69)

All I need is the animation sheet, I'll do the rest. Thanks!

Sorry to reply here, my PMs won't send properly for some reason. Anyways, Here you go. I did take quite a bit of liberty editing the base image, hope you don't mind. This has everything you should need; the anim strip, the glow, and all the burst projectiles. I'll leave the coding to you, I'm sure you can reverse engineer it from the Cathartes.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Arfy

Postby Arfy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:14 am

Sorry to reply here, my PMs won't send properly for some reason. Anyways, Here you go. I did take quite a bit of liberty editing the base image, hope you don't mind. This has everything you should need; the anim strip, the glow, and all the burst projectiles. I'll leave the coding to you, I'm sure you can reverse engineer it from the Cathartes.

Wow, thanks so much! Much better than what I can do. (Also, sorry for the late reply, still busy with school.)
Ferociousfeind

Re: [WEAPON PACK, 19.5% DONE] Concepts and Suggestions

Postby Ferociousfeind » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:26 pm

Arfy wrote:Image

May I do a suggest? :O

First laser, seems most like a long wait --> powerful shot weapon, but not necessarily like a railgun or a charge type weapon.
I think a sort of burst-heavy laser deal, i.e. shoots two heavy laser projectiles in a short burst, with about 1.5 times the heavy laser wait time.

Second missile, looks a lot like a cluster missile, but, of course, the first sprite accompanies that role. Instead, the second missile sprite would also be able to occupy a charge-missile role, 9 seconds to load each missile, and can "charge" up to 4 missiles at a time, either taking down a very large system in one blow, or rapid-firing a missile every 9 seconds.

The second beam seems like a rapid-firing, yet short-length beam. 6 second charge accompanied by a 1 damage per-room beam with a length of 20-ish pixels.

I have absolutely no idea what the drone should be. Probably an ion anti-ship drone.

EDIT: Also, what's the best way to make weapon .ftl files? Simply digging into the source files and mashing numbers together? Or is there a piece of software similar to Superluminal?
Arfy

Re: [WEAPON PACK, 19.5% DONE] Concepts and Suggestions

Postby Arfy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:43 pm

Also, what's the best way to make weapon .ftl files? Simply digging into the source files and mashing numbers together? Or is there a piece of software similar to Superluminal?

Okay, so, basically what I do to make weapon .ftl files is basically to get a shell, basically an empty ftl file with the following files/folders;

[DATA FOLDER]
[*] animations.xml [blank]
[*] blueprints.xml [blank]
[*] and events.xml (for testing weapons) [blank]

[IMG FOLDER]
[*] ship [folder/empty] --> drones [folder/empty]
[*] weapons [folder/empty]

And from there, I take the blueprint of any weapon, say i'm making a custom burst laser, I would take the blueprints of a burst laser mark II and paste it into the empty blueprints.xml, and fill it out with what I want, same goes for animation.xml, and add an event to start off with the weapon.

[edit] Oh, and sadly enough there are no other programs for FTL to make weapon files.
[edit 2] Download a weapon template (Make sure to tell me if I left anything out)