Help with weapon

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Auron1

Re: Help with weapon

Postby Auron1 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:57 pm

meklozz wrote:Right. I meant that I can't replicate it not working.

Ah, you wanted "MY" .ftl file to check out why it doesn't work?
Ok, just a sec...

*goes uploading the file

Here you go! http://www30.zippyshare.com/v/rZP9RCKi/file.html
Unless anything beyond reality happens, this .ftl file shouldn't be working. :P
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:16 pm

:|

I think I repeated several times to check your path inside the archive. To have the data folder (others, too) directly in the archive. You do not want to have them inside another folder in the archive. It won't find it.
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:24 pm

I have never realized until now that I was placing all data into another folder.
When I send the folder to a .zip file I have always packed everything, without noticing, into a named folder.

I guess checking if my files work without the extra folder is useless now... dawg, I can't believe how dumb I was for never recognizing my mistake! :oops: :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

Thanks for your help meklozz
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:10 pm

Auron1 wrote:animations.xml.append

Code: Select all

<animSheet name="storm_laser_f14" w="322" h="64" fw="23" fh="64">weapons/storm_laser_f14.png</animSheet>
<weaponAnim name="storm_laser_f14">
   <sheet>storm_laser_f14</sheet>
   <desc length="14" x="0" y="0"/>
   <chargedFrame>8</chargedFrame>
   <fireFrame>11</fireFrame>
   <firePoint  x="13" y="63"/>
   <mountPoint x="2" y="4"/>
   <chargeImage>weapons/storm_laser_glow_f5</chargeImage>
</weaponAnim>

Auron1 wrote:The boost.png picture doesn't work yet. :oops:

The reason it doesn't work is because the line:

<chargeImage>weapons/storm_laser_glow_f5</chargeImage>

is incorrect, and needs to be replaced by

<boost>storm_laser_glow_f5</boost>

this is the case because the glow image for boost type weapons is an animation rather than a single glow frame (as is the case for <chargeImage>). as such the boost tag refers to the name of the corresponding anim tag for the glow.
some other things I noticed:
for some reason animations.xml.append and blueprints.xml.append are capitalized to Animations.xml.append and Blueprints.xml.append. I don't think this actually makes a difference but gives SMM a hard time for no reason (longer patch time).

also, the metadata.xml file you have in the mod-appendix folder is incorrect. "blank" doesn't even show up because there are certain tags you need to use. look at the metadata.xml file in FTL Captain's Edition or any other mod that has a good description (as in, it has author, date, forum location, description, etc.) for a good layout for putting in info about your mod.

that's all I could see. I don't think there's anything else erroneous other than possibly the mount point of your weapon and/or projectile and the fire point of your weapon and/or projectile. happy modding :D
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:02 am

Hi there, sorry for replying with such delay but yesterday a (ion) storm broke out near my home preventing me from browsing internet! :shock:

Thanks for the note about the <chargeImage> tag, I'll fix that ASAP: I hope after that my weapon shall work fine - I still need to balance it... :)

As for the metadata.xml, I am well aware of that weird content inside: I made it just as reminder → I'll add all the correct info once the mod is ready to be released. Currently it's not meant to be available for everyone, but thanks to my dumbness it was not working as intended and I was forced to upload it.
This mod will eventually become a collection of current and, possibly, future weapons: you have probably seen that I am also working on a beam.
...And I am already worried, because for what I have seen, beams work quite differently from standard lasers. No time to rest! :lol:

About the bullets.png, I have to move their spawn point: they appear at the back of my weapon, while on the contrary the should be fire from the other side. X-Axis is the answer, right? :roll:

Thanks for everything Mr!
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:31 pm

Auron1 wrote:Hi there, sorry for replying with such delay

no problem.
Auron1 wrote:About the bullets.png, I have to move their spawn point: they appear at the back of my weapon, while on the contrary the should be fire from the other side. X-Axis is the answer, right? :roll:

I'm not the right person to ask; I've never toyed around with that. Metzelmax's guide on creating weapons probably says something about that.

However, I'm pretty sure that the x-coordinates go left to right starting from the top left and the y-coordinates go from top to bottom starting from the top left as well.

if you need help with anything, just let me know ;)