Help with weapon

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
meklozz

Re: Help with weapon

Postby meklozz » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:00 pm

Do you want to upload yours that refuses to work, too? I'm curious, now.
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:50 pm

The other weapon is not ready yet, I have just written down part of the code. It's a beam weapon, you'll surely have noticed that! :D
And my previous mod, The Red Arrow ship, is working fine: probably because all the related files were created with SuperLuminal.

Being unable to create own weapons is quite a problem, I think I'm going to ask you again to help me once the new mod is ready. What program do you use when copying/pasting xml data?

I have noticed my weapon is bugged: the glow effect doesn't work → a tiny black square appears when the weapon is almost charged. Definitely something related with animations.xml.append.
Oh, BTW: that Kestrel+ has something wrong: the Sensor and Door systems are misplaced FYI... ;)

I'll upload a couple of Screenshots soon
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:15 pm

Auron1 wrote:Oh, BTW: that Kestrel+ has something wrong: the Sensor and Door systems are misplaced FYI... ;)

I just copied what you gave me. File looks fine, though, unless you switched the room number around in the ship file.

I just meant to see a file that isn't working, check if there's anything special about it, not about uploading the weapons already or anything. And I usually use AkelPad, which is the closest alternative to notepad I found that would read unix line endings. It has some nice features, but is faster than most of the big ones.
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:36 pm

meklozz wrote:
Auron1 wrote:Oh, BTW: that Kestrel+ has something wrong: the Sensor and Door systems are misplaced FYI... ;)

I just copied what you gave me. File looks fine, though, unless you switched the room number around in the ship file.

LOL, I took the one posted in the Tutorial! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The only things I did was to raise slightly the Core power, rename the Ship, change the second period of the description and of course switch weapons.

meklozz wrote:I just meant to see a file that isn't working, check if there's anything special about it, not about uploading the weapons already or anything. And I usually use AkelPad, which is the closest alternative to notepad I found that would read unix line endings. It has some nice features, but is faster than most of the big ones.

I might take a look at that, Notepad++ behaved in a very strange way, considering it is used to write documents with specific formats.

Picture #1:
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:56 am

Auron1 wrote:I might take a look at that, Notepad++ behaved in a very strange way, considering it is used to write documents with specific formats.

Do you mind sending me your .ftl file, complete with all the images? I've had no problems with notepad++. I have a feeling I know what the problem is but I can't pin it down without the images.
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:13 am

mr_easy_money wrote:
Auron1 wrote:I might take a look at that, Notepad++ behaved in a very strange way, considering it is used to write documents with specific formats.

Do you mind sending me your .ftl file, complete with all the images? I've had no problems with notepad++. I have a feeling I know what the problem is but I can't pin it down without the images.

Sure thing: here is a .rar folder.
http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/ENx2qBQY/file.html
As I said before, .rar folders cannot be read by FTL: you'll have to extract data before making an .ftl file. :)
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:04 am

I have added some more text inside the animations.xml.append file: now the bullets are *almost* correctly displayed. They appear, however, from the rear part of the weapon - I should move their spawn point...

Code: Select all

<animSheet name="storm_bullet" w="34" h="23" fw="34" fh="23">weapons/storm_bullet.png</animSheet>
<anim name="storm_bullet">
   <sheet>storm_bullet</sheet>
   <desc length="1" x="0" y="0"/>
   <time>1.0</time>
</anim>

The boost.png picture doesn't work yet. :oops:
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:48 am

Auron1 wrote:Sure thing: here is a .rar folder.
http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/ENx2qBQY/file.html
As I said before, .rar folders cannot be read by FTL: you'll have to extract data before making an .ftl file. :)

Why did you upload a .rar? Because if this is how you pack your zips, you have one too many folders in there, data needs to be directly in the archive, as I've already said.. Other than that, I didn't touch the xml files, and they work fine after repacking.
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:09 pm

meklozz wrote:
Auron1 wrote:Sure thing: here is a .rar folder.

Why did you upload a .rar? Because if this is how you pack your zips, you have one too many folders in there, data needs to be directly in the archive, as I've already said.. Other than that, I didn't touch the xml files, and they work fine after repacking.

I used a .rar file for easiness.
I don't use WinRAR to pack files since .rar files turned into .ftl won't work. I could use WinRAR to zip files, but it's extra work.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:02 pm

Right. I meant that I can't replicate it not working.