An art request for crew sprites

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
elijahdb

An art request for crew sprites

Postby elijahdb » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:47 am

I'm working on a mod and I plan to implement two "new" races by replacing the rock with an alien species called the Moloks and the Ghosts are going to be replaced with a new robotic race called the Trogis.
If someone could make sprite sheets for these (they don't have to be perfect, just decent) that would be awesome.

I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.
Sleeper Service

Re: An art request for crew sprites

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:45 pm

Ghost crew will simply use the human crew sprite at 50% transparency, you won't be able to change ghosts separately from humans if that was what you intended.

Making an entire spritesheets for game factions is a pretty huge chunk of work that few modders have tackled so far, you'll probably have to do this yourself if you really want it. Your races are easier in comparison to making a sheet from scratch, since you could probably get results faster by simply modifying the existing Rock and Lanius sheets. Good luck anyways!
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:01 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Ghost crew will simply use the human crew sprite at 50% transparency, you won't be able to change ghosts separately from humans if that was what you intended.

Making an entire spritesheets for game factions is a pretty huge chunk of work that few modders have tackled so far, you'll probably have to do this yourself if you really want it. Your races are easier in comparison to making a sheet from scratch, since you could probably get results faster by simply modifying the existing Rock and Lanius sheets. Good luck anyways!

I thought Gencool was able to edit the ghost sprites with his broken Stealth Type B Cruiser? I'll have take a second look into that.

edit: Blast, you're right. If only that race modding tool was updated!

Thanks for the tip about modifying the Rock and Lanius sprites, I will work on that.
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:57 am

elijahdb wrote:
Sleeper Service wrote:Ghost crew will simply use the human crew sprite at 50% transparency, you won't be able to change ghosts separately from humans if that was what you intended.

I thought Gencool was able to edit the ghost sprites with his broken Stealth Type B Cruiser? I'll have take a second look into that.

edit: Blast, you're right. If only that race modding tool was updated!

Thanks for the tip about modifying the Rock and Lanius sprites, I will work on that.

You can actually modify ghost sprites, if you add new human layers to the ghost blueprint like human_layer5 or 6 (but not human_layer3, since CE uses this in their human sprites and this could create compatibility issues). You'll also have to make new sprite sheets with the same names as the layers. This is what I did:

Code: Select all

<crewBlueprint name="ghost">
   <desc>ghost.</desc>
   <title>Ghost</title>
   <short>Ghost</short>
   <cost>50</cost>
   <bp>2</bp>
   <rarity>0</rarity>
   <powerList>
      <power>Do not need oxygen</power>
      <power>Maximum health is 50</power>
   </powerList>
   <colorList>
      <layer><!-- Layer 1 - original ghost/human layer -->
         <color r="169" g="169" b="169" a="0"/>
      </layer>
      <layer><!-- Layer 2 - original ghost/human layer -->
         <color r="169" g="169" b="169" a="0"/>
         <color r="192" g="192" b="192" a="0"/>
         <color r="131" g="156" b="165" a="0"/>
         <color r="192" g="192" b="192" a="0"/>
      </layer>
      <layer name="ghost_layer1"><!-- Layer 3 - 3,4,5,6 hide the previous human layers (not sure if this layer works, since it's named ghost)-->
         <color r="169" g="169" b="169" a="1"/>
         <color r="192" g="192" b="192" a="1"/>
         <color r="131" g="156" b="165" a="1"/>
      </layer>
      <layer name="human_layer5"><!-- Layer 4 -->
      </layer>
      <layer name="human_layer5"><!-- Layer 5 -->
      </layer>
      <layer name="human_layer6"><!-- Layer 6 -->
      </layer>
   </colorList>
</crewBlueprint>

You can see how this works in Stations Job. I'll stress though, that the new layers are just on top of the old ones, so if your sprites in the new layers are smaller than the originals, the original ghost layers may remain visible.
Some of my FTL mods you may like, or hate, or... yeah:
Image Image
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:11 pm

So, just to clarify, you're saying I could make a new layer with this guy's sprites --> Image that would cover up the Human sprites?
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:57 am

yep
Image Image
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:25 am

Note; The ghosts will still be at 50% transparency.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:44 pm

If the sprites look transparent, you could always add more layers. With every layer you add, the sprites become less transparent. Setting the alpha channel of the new layers to 1 may help as well.
Image Image
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:28 pm

Really? It's been ages since I played with them, but I could've sworn that the sprites were put together first, then the whole lot reduced to 50%.
In the end I just set the alpha of everything to 0 except for the sprites I wanted to use, which mostly got around the issue of sprites having different sizes, although there are screenshots where the shadows are walking and you can see another crew sprite beneath them.

Long story short; ftl's bizare.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:33 am

Gencool wrote:Long story short; ftl's bizare.

Amen.

stargateprovider wrote:If the sprites look transparent, you could always add more layers. With every layer you add, the sprites become less transparent. Setting the alpha channel of the new layers to 1 may help as well.

Thanks! I'll do that once I get around to finishing up the sprites. I have half of the walking around movements done, and the cloning and death process is done.

Here's what it looks like dying. Image