[MOD][WIP] Foundation of the Federation

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Whale Cancer

Re: [MOD, WIP] Foundation of the Federation

Postby Whale Cancer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:29 pm

Icehawk78 wrote:Wow. I have to say, I'll likely end up downloading and playing this mod purely due to the fact that you seem to have an excellent talent for coming up with new designs on existing systems which fit very well into the original style. Excellent work!

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I'm not much of a spriter, so I am probably going to reuse some variations on ships to fill up the roster (unless any spriters want to get onboard...)

variantsrigger.png

Edit: Derp! The prospector actually has a scrap recovery arm, thus the 'bank'
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Whale Cancer wrote:
Icehawk78 wrote:Wow. I have to say, I'll likely end up downloading and playing this mod purely due to the fact that you seem to have an excellent talent for coming up with new designs on existing systems which fit very well into the original style. Excellent work!

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I'm not much of a spriter, so I am probably going to reuse some variations on ships to fill up the roster (unless any spriters want to get onboard...)

variantsrigger.png

Edit: Derp! The prospector actually has a scrap recovery arm, thus the 'bank'

Love it! This whole project is coming together pretty great, and as I said on the first page I'm very intrigued by the idea. Gives a whole new flavor to the game.
Darksiderq

Postby Darksiderq » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:49 am

Intressting chance of gameplay Hope it turns out well
Jequirity

Postby Jequirity » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Well, using Whale Cancer's minimod Federation Scout, Bomber and Outcast Variants I managed to get to the last phase of the end boss using the Federation Scout on Easy. The first two boss phases were straight forward with my set-up. Unfortunately a lucky opening missile salvo penetrating my cloak doomed my plucky ship and crew to a short sharp death at the third phase. :lol:

Full size image
http://imageshack.us/a/img39/5159/ftlfighter.jpg

My set-up was roughly this:
1xBurst Laser Mk2
1x Hull Laser Mk2
2x Mk 1 Antiship drones
1x Drone recovery thingy.
2x Starting out augmentations.

The Federation Scout is definitely tough to play but I got lucky after a few attempts and would recommend this set-up. It would be preferable to go for two Mk 3 Burst Lasers for maximum firepower or 2 Fire bombs if you can knock out shields quickly enough and let your drones do the heavy lifting. Either way you absolutely need heavy firepower to shorten the engagement time because your ship can't take a beating. This quote from the Duke of Wellington before the battle of Waterloo sums it up nicely:

Hard pounding, gentlemen. Let's see who pounds the longest.

Next time i'll pound harder and for longer you rebel scum! ;)
dickchappy1337

Postby dickchappy1337 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:31 pm

this looks awesome, can't wait!!
rolfy

Postby rolfy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:52 am

Just adding my own voice to the chorus. Nice idea and looks great.
I LOVE the bandit's Cthulhu pirate insignia.
42oL33T

Postby 42oL33T » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:57 pm

this is a pretty cool mod so far! Do the new ships come with a/b variants? because i was thinking about the Federation Rigger, and how there is a military variant. i believe you should change the room layout so weapons is 3 long, and medbay is 2. Engines would shrink down to a 1x2 rectangle in the back, and the O2 and Drone Control would be at 1x2 size. Little things like THAT, could really add depth to this mod, also consider not having a taking out medbay on the civvi variant of the rigger, mining ships arent exactly made to treat injuries are they?
"Don't Hate, Incinerate!"
-Abcdds2
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:00 am

rolfy wrote:Just adding my own voice to the chorus. Nice idea and looks great.
I LOVE the bandit's Cthulhu pirate insignia.

The Cthulhu pirate insignia is a part of the original assets of the game, and I can take no credit for them. I just copy pasted onto my new kitted sprites.

42oL33T wrote:this is a pretty cool mod so far! Do the new ships come with a/b variants? because i was thinking about the Federation Rigger, and how there is a military variant. i believe you should change the room layout so weapons is 3 long, and medbay is 2. Engines would shrink down to a 1x2 rectangle in the back, and the O2 and Drone Control would be at 1x2 size. Little things like THAT, could really add depth to this mod, also consider not having a taking out medbay on the civvi variant of the rigger, mining ships arent exactly made to treat injuries are they?

Yes, there are a/b variants for each ship. However, I am not really sure which 9/18 ships will be in the final version of this mod.

I'm not sure why you believe those small changes would add more depth?

No medbay sounds like a good idea, but that means no healing your crew. Ever. It's just not very practical on a player controlled ship.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
winterpwner

Postby winterpwner » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Whale Cancer wrote:No medbay sounds like a good idea, but that means no healing your crew. Ever. It's just not very practical on a player controlled ship.

Actually, you can buy the Medbay room in shops. Don't know why you'd think otherwise, unless you've never played Slug Cruiser B.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:48 pm

winterpwner wrote:
Whale Cancer wrote:No medbay sounds like a good idea, but that means no healing your crew. Ever. It's just not very practical on a player controlled ship.

Actually, you can buy the Medbay room in shops. Don't know why you'd think otherwise, unless you've never played Slug Cruiser B.

Yeah, so you fly around and lose crew by attrition until you find a shop that sells a medbay. The ship is also much more compact than slug cruiser B, so your crew will get hit more often.

Not very appealing to me.

Edit: I should clarify, this is connected to an element of design philosophy I think I have in common with the FTL devs. You shouldn't have a ship that is too dependent on the RNG. The energy cruiser is a good example of a ship that NEEDS to change fundamentally from its initial loadout (as it needs a way to penetrate shields reliably in higher sectors), but you have the time to actually accomplish this without too much dependence on the RNG. If you haven't found new weapons by the time you need them, you must have explored sectors poorly, made bad choices, or the RNG absolutely hated you. A ship with a small crew, few rooms (higher chance for AI to target an occupied room), and a compact layout (beams!) and no medbay is absolutely at the whim of the RNG. The slug cruiser B is properly balanced with no medbay, the rigger could not be (IMHO).