[MOD][WIP] Foundation of the Federation

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
louistodd

Re: [MOD, WIP] Foundation of the Federation

Postby louistodd » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Perhaps after the final battle you could continue to explore the systems you didn't explore and maybe go on to another galaxy.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:57 pm

louistodd wrote:Perhaps after the final battle you could continue to explore the systems you didn't explore and maybe go on to another galaxy.

That's theoretically possible within the scope of the game engine (see FTL: Infinite Space), however in reality it would be impractical until FTL: Overdrive came out with the presumably hyper-moddable game engine rebuild.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:19 pm

dalolorn wrote:
louistodd wrote:Perhaps after the final battle you could continue to explore the systems you didn't explore and maybe go on to another galaxy.

That's theoretically possible within the scope of the game engine (see FTL: Infinite Space), however in reality it would be impractical until FTL: Overdrive came out with the presumably hyper-moddable game engine rebuild.

Indeed, since the secret sector doesn't scale and you can only have one secret sector type (as for as I can tell) this wouldn't be possible. Shit, I don't think FTL: Infinite space is possible in the way the author of that mod has previewed it.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
xdiesp

Postby xdiesp » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:25 am

Ive got to say I like FTL ships in general and your designs are good too! For the love of God dont burn out on this by setting ever further goals, try to make it playable asap and only later add a second coating.
GroxGlitch

Postby GroxGlitch » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:30 pm

I might be able to try doing some sprite work for you. I'm not the greatest (DEAR GOD SHADING) but I could give you something to work with, at least. I could draw something up this evening as an example if you so desire.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:13 am

GroxGlitch wrote:I might be able to try doing some sprite work for you. I'm not the greatest (DEAR GOD SHADING) but I could give you something to work with, at least. I could draw something up this evening as an example if you so desire.

That would be awesome, GroxGlitch.

Did you have something in mind you wanted to sprite? I think the most 'useful' things for the mod would be extra Federation, Mantis, and Slug ships (since they feature most prominently).

You can see one of my shitty sprite attempts upthread. I figure the rigger is something like a 'light cruiser' class.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Whale Cancer wrote:
dalolorn wrote:

Indeed, since the secret sector doesn't scale and you can only have one secret sector type (as for as I can tell) this wouldn't be possible. Shit, I don't think FTL: Infinite space is possible in the way the author of that mod has previewed it.

So this is the post I wanted to reply to earlier when I couldn't figure out my password! :oops:

Anyway, if I recall, you can specify the sector name or something. I think. Didn't really watch a lot, but on one occasion I tried to check out the crystal quest (in fact, even tried to mod it so that I got the crystal ship by merely starting the game, but lacking ftldat, that failed miserably) and I'm pretty sure it had some sort of parameter for the transportation. And FTL: IS is fetinitely possible, as the author said it would do away with standard balance and give you a more real situation where you MAY be stronger, but you may just as easily be weaker. My earlier statement was only that it'd be impractical, but that author definitely knew how to make it work.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:41 pm

dalolorn wrote:So this is the post I wanted to reply to earlier when I couldn't figure out my password! :oops:

Anyway, if I recall, you can specify the sector name or something. I think. Didn't really watch a lot, but on one occasion I tried to check out the crystal quest (in fact, even tried to mod it so that I got the crystal ship by merely starting the game, but lacking ftldat, that failed miserably) and I'm pretty sure it had some sort of parameter for the transportation. And FTL: IS is fetinitely possible, as the author said it would do away with standard balance and give you a more real situation where you MAY be stronger, but you may just as easily be weaker. My earlier statement was only that it'd be impractical, but that author definitely knew how to make it work.

The call for the secret sector is something like <secretSector/>. It only takes you to the crystal sector.

Just because the author says it is possible, doesn't mean it is possible. If it is just the one crystal sector repeating, how will it scale the enemy ships? I can think of some ways to implement this, but all of them are rather inelegant. We will see once the author of that mod releases something.
GroxGlitch

Postby GroxGlitch » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Whale Cancer wrote:
GroxGlitch wrote:I might be able to try doing some sprite work for you. I'm not the greatest (DEAR GOD SHADING) but I could give you something to work with, at least. I could draw something up this evening as an example if you so desire.

That would be awesome, GroxGlitch.

Did you have something in mind you wanted to sprite? I think the most 'useful' things for the mod would be extra Federation, Mantis, and Slug ships (since they feature most prominently).

You can see one of my shitty sprite attempts upthread. I figure the rigger is something like a 'light cruiser' class.

I'll be trying my hand at everything, when I can. Variety is the spice of life :P But yeah, ships mainly. I'll do other weapons and such if I find spare time. I'll do an example today if I find time but I'm backlogged in work and might not have an opening until this afternoon (pacific standard time).
In fact, I probably shouldn't even be writing this reply >.>
But anyway, that's where I stand, I'll try to put a sample up sometime this afternoon if I get time.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Whale Cancer wrote:
dalolorn wrote:So this is the post I wanted to reply to earlier when I couldn't figure out my password! :oops:

The call for the secret sector is something like <secretSector/>. It only takes you to the crystal sector.

Just because the author says it is possible, doesn't mean it is possible. If it is just the one crystal sector repeating, how will it scale the enemy ships? I can think of some ways to implement this, but all of them are rather inelegant. We will see once the author of that mod releases something.

Ok, so I was wrong about the secret sector. My mistake.

Also, neither I or the author said it was going to scale. It'd randomly generate dangerous ships and cakewalks alike. Next time, read the post in more detail? :|