[MOD][WIP] Foundation of the Federation

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
GroxGlitch

Re: [MOD, WIP] Foundation of the Federation

Postby GroxGlitch » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:41 pm

ANOTHER POST!
Ok, So I've been working on a Federation Strike Cruiser, called the SparrowHawk. It's goin' kinda slow, but I've been doing a room layout so I could build the dark background around that. As such, I'm posting that here to show progress.
Bear in mind that this is not yet finished, by any extent. I might do a revision on this thing that makes my life easier symmetrywise, so all of what you see is subject to change.
Also, of course, Whale Cancer get's final approval of all this, so it's MAJORLY subject to change on a moment's notice.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:55 pm

dalolorn wrote:
Whale Cancer wrote:
dalolorn wrote:So this is the post I wanted to reply to earlier when I couldn't figure out my password! :oops:

Anyway, if I recall, you can specify the sector name or something. I think. Didn't really watch a lot, but on one occasion I tried to check out the crystal quest (in fact, even tried to mod it so that I got the crystal ship by merely starting the game, but lacking ftldat, that failed miserably) and I'm pretty sure it had some sort of parameter for the transportation. And FTL: IS is fetinitely possible, as the author said it would do away with standard balance and give you a more real situation where you MAY be stronger, but you may just as easily be weaker. My earlier statement was only that it'd be impractical, but that author definitely knew how to make it work.

The call for the secret sector is something like <secretSector/>. It only takes you to the crystal sector.

Just because the author says it is possible, doesn't mean it is possible. If it is just the one crystal sector repeating, how will it scale the enemy ships? I can think of some ways to implement this, but all of them are rather inelegant. We will see once the author of that mod releases something.

Ok, so I was wrong about the secret sector. My mistake.

Also, neither I or the author said it was going to scale. It'd randomly generate dangerous ships and cakewalks alike. Next time, read the post in more detail? :|

Yeah, you don't seem to understand the balance of FTL. Ship scaling is so important to how the game progresses in difficulty. "LOL random encounters forever" won't work as a game.

Edit: And I really do want FTL Infinite Space to succeed. It just seems like it will be far too random a game in any implementation I can think of. That is why I am incredulous of DrkTemplar's claims.
Last edited by Whale Cancer on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:06 pm

GroxGlitch wrote:ANOTHER POST!
Ok, So I've been working on a Federation Strike Cruiser, called the SparrowHawk. It's goin' kinda slow, but I've been doing a room layout so I could build the dark background around that. As such, I'm posting that here to show progress.
Bear in mind that this is not yet finished, by any extent. I might do a revision on this thing that makes my life easier symmetrywise, so all of what you see is subject to change.
Also, of course, Whale Cancer get's final approval of all this, so it's MAJORLY subject to change on a moment's notice.

It's a good start.

From my perspective, ship sprite goals are as follows
a) Fidelity with existing sprites. Your star cruiser, for instance, doesn't use federation style engines. All existent federation ships have obvious semi-exposed engines usually in a nacelle (that is, away from the main hull on a strut or something; only the bomber incorporates the engine into the structure).
b) Standard room sizes. Some of my older layout designs had a few non-standard rooms (1x1, 3x1, etc.,) I've since gotten rid of these as I find them somewhat problematic from a balance perspective.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
GroxGlitch

Postby GroxGlitch » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:35 pm

Whale Cancer wrote:
GroxGlitch wrote:ANOTHER POST!
[SNIP]

It's a good start.

From my perspective, ship sprite goals are as follows
a) Fidelity with existing sprites. Your star cruiser, for instance, doesn't use federation style engines. All existent federation ships have obvious semi-exposed engines usually in a nacelle (that is, away from the main hull on a strut or something; only the bomber incorporates the engine into the structure).
b) Standard room sizes. Some of my older layout designs had a few non-standard rooms (1x1, 3x1, etc.,) I've since gotten rid of these as I find them somewhat problematic from a balance perspective.

In regards to a), I'm aware it doesn't exactly match up yet, but I'm not finished, not even close. The far things on the "wings" are going to be Engine Nacelles, don't worry :D.
B) This one I can understand, but I have to ask. What would you prefer me to do? Chop them down into smaller chunks that are standard sizes, or reduce the lengths such that the LENGTH itself is only standard sizes?
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Whale Cancer wrote:
dalolorn wrote:Ok, so I was wrong about the secret sector. My mistake.

Also, neither I or the author said it was going to scale. It'd randomly generate dangerous ships and cakewalks alike. Next time, read the post in more detail? :|

Yeah, you don't seem to understand the balance of FTL. Ship scaling is so important to how the game progresses in difficulty. "LOL random encounters forever" won't work as a game.

Edit: And I really do want FTL Infinite Space to succeed. It just seems like it will be far too random a game in any implementation I can think of. That is why I am incredulous of DrkTemplar's claims.

Oh I never said it wasn't a bit... odd. But if it's the only way he can make an infinite game, I say let him do it. :P

And again, I will point out that the randomness was already predicted in DrkTemplar's claims. 8-)
GroxGlitch

Postby GroxGlitch » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:12 am

Well, as I have not have my question answered as of yet, I'm just gonna go ahead and upload this now, and I'll make adjustments if this is still not right.
THE FEDERATION SPARROWHAWK-CLASS STRIKE CRUISER:
*Also, I know about the four 1x3 slots, I really couldn't do anything about them without the ship lookin' funny, Sorry >.> Also note that it bugged out a bit; there's supposed to be a 2x1 slot behind the bridge there that moved down, not supposed to look like that, plus the doors to the bridge vanished. SPOOOOOOKYYYYYYYYY.....*
It, obviously, still needs shading work, which will help it significantly. I, unfortunately, am no capable of that as my skills are not sufficient to make it look proper and not like a big blob of shadow. Also, I know that this is not all that good, but again, I'm not all that great. This is pretty much my first real sprite, plus I had no concept art to work off of as well.
As far as backstory goes, it's designed to be a fast cruiser that focuses on dodging incoming fire rather than weathering it via shields. As such, it has three impulse drives: the two in the nacelles, and one on the underside of the hull. It carries four weapon hardpoints; two on the forward hull on the sides of the bridge, and two on the engine nacelles, and it also has a single drone spot, commonly equipped with a Beam Drone. It also sports large, solid hull plates to help survive hits better than the smaller panels, which are designed to buckle when hit (to absorb the energy of the hit).
Game-wise (and bear in mind this is all up to Whale Cancer, this is just what I was thinking as I drew this), the ship has a trade-off that changes playstyle a bit. It has two unique subsystems, one in each engine nacelle, called Auxiliary Engines. Each of these subsystems adds a flat 10% to the dodge rate of the ship when engaged. This means, under the current rules, it could boast a maximum dodge, with a fully experienced engine crewmember and fully upgraded and powered engines, a 75% dodge chance! As a trade off, however, it can only have a maximum of level 2 shields.
!DISCLAIMER! THIS IS ALL SUBJECT TO CHANGE PENDING WHALE CANCER'S APPROVAL !DISCLAIMER!
jacktionman101

Postby jacktionman101 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Whatever happens, don't give up on this! It has way too much potential. I'm definitely bookmarking and supporting this. Also, It just feels weird that a Military scout and a refitted civillian vessel look extremely similar.....That must have been one weird civillian
killerblob4

Postby killerblob4 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:34 pm

After you finish Foundation of the Federation could you make the opposite like "the rise of the rebels" where you get to play as a rebel, slug, mantis and rock or some thing like that.Would you ever consider doing something like this? just an idea
Last edited by killerblob4 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:31 pm

DiEvAl wrote:Can you add new subsystems with xml?
No, sadly, I'm pretty sure GroxGlitch's idea of Auxiliary Engines isn't possible to do with the modding tools available to us.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
Joefesok

Postby Joefesok » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:04 pm

I have a suggestion;

How about there is a hard mode added, where a rebellion fleet will approach from the other end of the screen. Loot drops are signifigantly changed, where instead of only getting fuel for having a run in with the rebellion, you get good loot. After a bit, the two sides collide, and a number of beacons appear in the middle as downed cruisers, which drop much more scrap when defeated. This would just be a sort of battle of the cruisers, but the final zone would serve in traditional fasion, where being slow about getting things means getting wrecked.