[MOD][WIP] Foundation of the Federation

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
StealthCl0wn

Re: [MOD, WIP] Foundation of the Federation

Postby StealthCl0wn » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 pm

This looks amazing. I love the idea of the smaller ships.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:57 pm

One thing I am doing with this mod is adding 'factions.' These factions are set through a dummy augmentation. Of course, this means that there is one less augmentation slot per ship. It sucks, but unless I find another workaround this is how it's going to have to be.

Anyway, here are some screens of it in action. A federal ship encountering another federal ship as well as an outcast (pirate) ship.

IFFs.png

ifffedvfed.png

IFFfedvpirate.png

The goal is for only 4 playable factions: federal, outcast, engi, and zoltan. Federals, Engi and Zolton will largely share the same events, with some special options or flavor for each race in certain situations. The outcasts are totally different, with them being more of a sub-game of open piracy and slave taking than the grand quest the other factions go on.

PS: Any input on things you would like to see in this mod are, of course, welcome!
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Jequirity

Postby Jequirity » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:45 pm

I registered on this forum after reading your Mod thread just to say it looks like it'll be really enjoyable to play! I like the approach to things and I have a couple of wee questions to ask if you have got the time to answer them at some point:

Will the smaller ships such as the fighters etc have a reduced crew complement of two or even just one?

Could there be a boss-style event near the end of each hostile sector?

WIll you be including some of the notable personalities from vanilla FTL such as the famous Mantis thief?

I wish you the best of luck with this mod mate!
XxTechnoguyxX

Postby XxTechnoguyxX » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:54 pm

"WANT!" 'Nuff said.

I can't wait for this mod to come out. I think that it is an awesome concept! :ugeek:
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:05 pm

Jequirity wrote:I registered on this forum after reading your Mod thread just to say it looks like it'll be really enjoyable to play! I like the approach to things and I have a couple of wee questions to ask if you have got the time to answer them at some point:

Awesome!

Jequirity wrote:Will the smaller ships such as the fighters etc have a reduced crew complement of two or even just one?

They all start with just 1 or 2. Unfortunately, as far as I can see, a 'maximum crew count' cannot be set via blueprints. It would be possible to do this via events, but it would be really clunky (basically I would have to constantly check to see how many crewman are aboard and then get rid of some if there are two many). I will probably have an event where a federal hospital ship/police vessel cites you for overcrowding on a small ship and takes away a crewman. That seems to be in the spirit of FTL.

Edit: oooooo, the autoblueprints ships have a max crew property; I will see what that does when applied to a player ship.

Jequirity wrote:Could there be a boss-style event near the end of each hostile sector?

Sort-of. I won't be putting an arbitrary boss at the end beacon, but I will be triggering a quest chain at the start of each hostile sector (actually, at the start of each sector). In the Rock, Mantis, and Slug sectors this quest chain will lead to battle against the cruisers that are available as player ships in vanilla FTL (e.g. The Gilla Monster in the Mantis Sector). This way the boss battles will feel a bit more 'organic', if you will.

Jequirity wrote:WIll you be including some of the notable personalities from vanilla FTL such as the famous Mantis thief?

I might reference them, but I figure this mod occurs a fair bit in the past of vanilla FTL. Maybe some easter eggs? Like that mantis thief (Kzzpztkha or some such) as a foot soldier of the mantis army before he became a pirate. Oh, and an event where you abandon Charlie in a cave!
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:43 pm

Just thought I would upload a little teaser for the storyline quests I'm working on. 2/4 are done (the other two are flow-charted, but not programmed yet). Two-Sector demo due Saturday!

FotF_StoryQuests_Teaser.png
Cswartz9

Postby Cswartz9 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:18 pm

Okay, this looks really amazing. Can't wait to see what it turns out to be, it'll be fun to fly around in a little Federation scout ship and wreak havoc on Mantis ships* :D

* For some reason I've always had something against the Mantis, I think it's because they board so much and you're basically screwed unless you have Rock or Mantis crew members.
XxTechnoguyxX

Postby XxTechnoguyxX » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:42 pm

Hoooooooo, boy! There's nothing I love more than some good old fashioned space exploration. :mrgreen:
Wiseacre

Postby Wiseacre » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:33 pm

Looks really interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on this.
Jequirity

Postby Jequirity » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:30 pm

The Federation flagship looks really good; I love the fact that it resembles the Osprey! You could imagine that the flagship was the forerunner of the Osprey Class whereby the ship designers scaled the flagship design down to produce the Osprey cruiser.

WIll advanced weapons be limited in the Foundation of the Federation (FotF)? i.e. There won't be any Burst Laser mk 3s, no Glaive beams etc to represent the fact that FotF takes place earlier in time.

As an aside, depending on how FotF proceeds and how much spare time you have Whale Cancer, would you be tempted to make a similar style mod covering the period of time after vanilla FTL? It just strikes me that such a mod would be similar to FotF in that the Federation would presumably be on the offensive again, having destroyed the rebel flagship in vannila FTL.