Hurray! Another multiplayer clone project. :)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
lordofthemax

Re: Hurray! Another multiplayer clone project. :)

Postby lordofthemax » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:34 pm

Hey, I've been looking for a multiplayer version of ftl for a while now and I found this. THIS IS AWESOME!!! :D I love the idea of it and the new features you've added, like leaving ships and such. Just a couple questions I want to ask before I actually pay for it (cause, you know... questions...) 1. do you plan on making aliens playable (or adding them)? 2. How much will the final game cost to play? 3. Is there some kind of spacesuit or something that lets you hold your breath longer in space or kind of acts as a room and gives you a time until you start suffocating? and lastly, 4. I've seen a couple gameplay videos and it was REALLY COOL, only thing I noticed that I didn't like so much was that when you leave the ship usually the back door to the airlock is still open, causing two rooms to be depleted of air instead of one. This is more a suggestion than a question, but maybe if you added a special door that can only be opened when all other doors are closed (unless manually overridden), since this is how most airlocks work in games and real life.

Sorry if this seems kind of demanding for a new guy, I'm just really excited and ideas flow to my head really fast.
Srul

Postby Srul » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:42 pm

lordofthemax wrote:3. Is there some kind of spacesuit or something that lets you hold your breath longer in space or kind of acts as a room and gives you a time until you start suffocating?

nay. And this is shit, bruh.
Other questions are for salty honker, i won't answer them. HONK!!!
jrb00001

Postby jrb00001 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:47 pm

Srul wrote:
lordofthemax wrote:3. Is there some kind of spacesuit or something that lets you hold your breath longer in space or kind of acts as a room and gives you a time until you start suffocating?

nay. And this is shit, bruh.

I love the idea of character equipment. What about some armor which halves your movement speed but reduces all damage to 50%? What about an advanced jetpack which improves your movement speed in space to 400%? What about some kind of power suit which doubles the recharge speed of energy weapons to 200% and reduces damage to 50% (0% for energy based damage) while no energy based weapons are recharging? What about advanced radio transmitters which allow you to use global chat while in space?
Srul wrote:Other questions are for salty honker, i won't answer them. HONK!!!

And who is "salty honker"?
Srul

Postby Srul » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:51 pm

jrb00001 wrote:
Srul wrote:Other questions are for salty honker, i won't answer them. HONK!!!

And who is "salty honker"?

Salty honker is specker the woodpecker aka specky aka Spektor. HONK!!!
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:46 pm

lordofthemax wrote:Hey, I've been looking for a multiplayer version of ftl for a while now and I found this. THIS IS AWESOME!!! :D I love the idea of it and the new features you've added, like leaving ships and such.

Thanks. :)
Just a couple questions I want to ask before I actually pay for it (cause, you know... questions...)
1. do you plan on making aliens playable (or adding them)?

Since the game is being redesigned into underwater submarine version, I'm not sure there will be any aliens.
It's going to be more - post apocalyptic earth. (kinda like in Waterworld movie)
But there might be clans or factions.
2. How much will the final game cost to play?

Not sure yet. How much would you pay?
3. Is there some kind of spacesuit or something that lets you hold your breath longer in space or kind of acts as a room and gives you a time until you start suffocating?

Not yet - but it is planned.
and lastly, 4. I've seen a couple gameplay videos and it was REALLY COOL,

I'd love to see a video of a group of friends beating the a0.7 story :)
only thing I noticed that I didn't like so much was that when you leave the ship usually the back door to the airlock is still open, causing two rooms to be depleted of air instead of one. This is more a suggestion than a question, but maybe if you added a special door that can only be opened when all other doors are closed (unless manually overridden), since this is how most airlocks work in games and real life.

Well there might be something like this in the future. But no promises ;)

Sorry if this seems kind of demanding for a new guy, I'm just really excited and ideas flow to my head really fast.

Not at all.
All ideas are welcome.

jrb00001 wrote:I love the idea of character equipment. What about some armor which halves your movement speed but reduces all damage to 50%? What about an advanced jetpack which improves your movement speed in space to 400%? What about some kind of power suit which doubles the recharge speed of energy weapons to 200% and reduces damage to 50% (0% for energy based damage) while no energy based weapons are recharging? What about advanced radio transmitters which allow you to use global chat while in space?

I'm currently finishing the first version of mob combat.
And player inventory is definitely going to be added.
lordofthemax

Postby lordofthemax » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:24 am

kcd.Spektor wrote:Since the game is being redesigned into underwater submarine version, I'm not sure there will be any aliens.
It's going to be more - post apocalyptic earth. (kinda like in Waterworld movie)
But there might be clans or factions.

Not sure yet. How much would you pay?

I'd love to see a video of a group of friends beating the a0.7 story :)

1. WHAT?!?! I must have missed that, lol. tl;dr, apologies. Still, even if it's on Earth doesn't mean you can't have different species, like mutants, crab people, sentient sea creatures that originate in the lower Mariana trench, etc.

2. Depends on how good and how big the game is. Most bigger games aren't worth the opening $60 price tag. I'll use a newer example, Civ 6. I've played it, and it's an AMAZING game. But it's not worth 60 bucks, at least in my opinion. $50 is pushing it, and $40 is more than fair, I'd settle for anything between those two as a fair price. Mind you, civ is a much bigger game than this will probably be, and thus warrants a bigger price. But if this is a REALLY good game like I think/hope it is, then I'd pay for it. Right now, based on what I've SEEN, $20 or $25 might be fair by the time the final product rolls around. If it's smaller or lower quality then I think it is, and I'm just imaging it being amazingly awesome (and I hope I'm not), then probably around $15, which is just a bit more than the original FTL.

3. I'm working on getting my friends organized into a group to play. Due to budget issues, one or more of them may not be able to pay for the alpha version currently available, but we'll at least TRY to put down some money.

Also, another idea. A free game I've been playing on Steam called Unturned has a pretty neat system for groups. How it works is when you join a Steam group, when you enter the game you can pick your primary group, then all members of that group on the server are highlighted on the map, and friendly fire is disabled against them. Even if this isn't on Steam, you could implement a similar system where players can join groups/clans/factions, and thus be able to find each other easier and won't be able to kill one another. I can easily see how this might be hard, so if it never happens I won't care all that much, I just think it'd be a nice addition.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:28 am

Just from a brief skim of the most recent posts (have not had the time to keep up to date with this thread):

In the OP, it says that FTL ship splices aren't allowed as ship art any more. Also, in a recent post, you've stated that you're going to redesign the game to be water-based, or set in an oceanic world. I'm guessing that this is to avoid copyright issues.

kcd.Spektor wrote:Since the game is being redesigned into underwater submarine version, I'm not sure there will be any aliens.

[source]

Right, so...with that in mind...

kcd.Spektor wrote:
Also, since you wanted to be asked first, can I use this images?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24475&p=89303#p89303
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11539&p=88561#p88561
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11539&p=88200#p88200
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11539&p=87902#p87902
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11539&p=87878#p87878
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11539&p=84951#p84951
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11539&p=84912#p84912
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24475&p=83645#p83645
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24475&p=87273#p87273
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17442&p=85340#p85340

Did I miss any? :mrgreen:

[source]

Only the last two images linked here aren't splices. Everything else is a splice.

You should probably remove those images from the game, if you haven't already done so.
Chickengames

Postby Chickengames » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:46 am

kcd.Spektor wrote:
lordofthemax wrote:Since the game is being redesigned into underwater submarine version, I'm not sure there will be any aliens.

Because of this we may want to move the discussion to off-topic or another site.
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:26 am

lordofthemax wrote:1. WHAT?!?! I must have missed that, lol. tl;dr, apologies. Still, even if it's on Earth doesn't mean you can't have different species, like mutants, crab people, sentient sea creatures that originate in the lower Mariana trench, etc.

That's a good idea.

3. I'm working on getting my friends organized into a group to play. Due to budget issues, one or more of them may not be able to pay for the alpha version currently available, but we'll at least TRY to put down some money.

Really looking forward to a video playthrough for a0.7

Also, another idea. A free game I've been playing on Steam called Unturned has a pretty neat system for groups. How it works is when you join a Steam group, when you enter the game you can pick your primary group, then all members of that group on the server are highlighted on the map, and friendly fire is disabled against them. Even if this isn't on Steam, you could implement a similar system where players can join groups/clans/factions, and thus be able to find each other easier and won't be able to kill one another. I can easily see how this might be hard, so if it never happens I won't care all that much, I just think it'd be a nice addition.

Also a good idea.
lordofthemax

Postby lordofthemax » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:14 am

So I finally got a chance to sit down and play the game. I was playing solo so it got kinda boring, but I was able to accomplish getting to the station for the starting quest. The one thing that I was proud of accomplishing was successfully boarding an enemy ship. I accomplished this by jumping right next to it, setting all my guns on the doors, then leaving right away. By the time I got there, my guns woulda just fired, thus breaking their door system. For anyone who isn't aware, when an enemy door system is active you can't open their doors, but when it is broken you can. Thus, I can board enemy ships with some timing and speed with button pressing. So once I was actually ON BOARD, I realized that the crew-to-crew combat system hasn't yet been implemented, so I'd like to formally request that this be added to your already massive list of things to add.