New language pack

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Webber

New language pack

Postby Webber » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:40 pm

Hi everyone :)
I'm a new user in this forum, I want to make a language pack for ftl on my mother tongue, turkish. Unlike some other countries, lots of people in Turkey have little to no knowledge about english. I think it's really a shame that so many people can't play ftl..
As a game containing so many texts, it probably will take long time (and me being in my last year in high school, studying for abitur), I'll probably have a lot of fun trying to translate it. -It may kinda sound weird, but I have lots of fun listenning to Ftl music and writing contents of some cool events to my notebook :D
I don't have much knowledge about game modding, but I suppose the language files are stored in xml files in the sources.
Could you please inform me how to do it? Or a link of the german language pack thread would be perfect.
Thank you
Sleeper Service

Re: New language pack

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:05 pm

Hoşgeldin forumda arkadaş. I'm not sure if the German pack still exists, the link on the modding main page leads to a non existing thread for me. However there is a pretty complete Spanish translation mod that you could look at for reference.

As you have guessed, most of the translation will have to be done through xml modding. There should be some guides on how to do that in the modding reference thread, but simply studying how other language mods did it might be the most helpful thing you can do. You'll have to extract all the FTL data, then go through all the xmls that contain ingame texts. Most of this is in the events_xxx files. Blueprints.xml as well as auto_blueprints.xml also contains some text, mostly for ships and weapons.

One big issue the other language mods had where special Unicode characters... They got it worked out eventually, but normally the game won't be able to display stuff like ç ğ ı ö ş and ü. I think they change the game font file and the encoding for the Spanish mod or something, but I'm not sure how exactly they got it to work.

Further there are some texts in the game that are part of image files. All the UI buttons, like the JUMP button for example, are basically just images that show a fixed text. To change those you'll simply have to mod the image files themselves, which is pretty straight forward.

Iyi şanslar with that mod, it will be a lot of work.
Webber

Re: New language pack

Postby Webber » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:36 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Hoşgeldin forumda arkadaş. I'm not sure if the German pack still exists, the link on the modding main page leads to a non existing thread for me. However there is a pretty complete Spanish translation mod that you could look at for reference.

As you have guessed, most of the translation will have to be done through xml modding. There should be some guides on how to do that in the modding reference thread, but simply studying how other language mods did it might be the most helpful thing you can do. You'll have to extract all the FTL data, then go through all the xmls that contain ingame texts. Most of this is in the events_xxx files. Blueprints.xml as well as auto_blueprints.xml also contains some text, mostly for ships and weapons.

One big issue the other language mods had where special Unicode characters... They got it worked out eventually, but normally the game won't be able to display stuff like ç ğ ı ö ş and ü. I think they change the game font file and the encoding for the Spanish mod or something, but I'm not sure how exactly they got it to work.

Further there are some texts in the game that are part of image files. All the UI buttons, like the JUMP button for example, are basically just images that show a fixed text. To change those you'll simply have to mod the image files themselves, which is pretty straight forward.

Iyi şanslar with that mod, it will be a lot of work.

Okay, thank you. I will do my research and update the thread for news..
Have a nice day!