Overlapping Rooms

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Abs

Overlapping Rooms

Postby Abs » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:19 am

So, I've been trying to make my ships more interesting to look at by trying to dress up empty rooms. It was sorta successful. Here's a pic.

I did this by making the image for the weapon room larger than the 1x2.

The good news is that this will work for rooms that have no systems in them at all. The bad news is that I was testing whether or not the room order had something to do with the Z-Index of the images (trying to figure out which one would be shown in the foreground), but once another system overlaps it the images seem to have some transparency applied despite the fact that the images are not transparent at all.

Has anyone tried this before? Any way to stop the game from making the room images slightly transparent?

The other negative aspect of it is that since all transparency has to be removed in order to make the image overlapping aspect of it work, it interferes with the red low oxygen bars. This will still work for adding objects to the empty rooms by keeping the images transparent the way you ordinarily would.

Abs
Click to go to the mod's facebook page for the latest updates!
kartoFlane

Re: Overlapping Rooms

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:29 am

The transparency cannot be removed, it's hardcoded in how FTL draws those particular images. Another downside of this solution is that the images appear only when they are visible -- so the moment sensors are down, or you are in a nebula, and you have no crew in this room, the image spanning several rooms becomes invisible. And vice versa, the entire image stays visible even if you have no vision in the empty room.
The Z-index could depend either on the order in which rooms are defined in the ship's blueprint (less likely), or hardcoded in some fashion in the game's renderer, possibly alphabetically (more likely).
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL