why cant there be new ships

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
IceBreaker

why cant there be new ships

Postby IceBreaker » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:02 pm

as i have been browsing mods that add new ships, all of them add new ships in place of existing ones, which means you cant play them while the mod is installed, is there any way that could add a new ship while keeping the original ships?
NarnKar

Re: why cant there be new ships

Postby NarnKar » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:07 pm

Can't be done.

EDIT: Because earlier I was on mobile, let me clarify. Modding a game means that you can add new content that uses existing functions, but you can't add new functions. So you can have a weapon or ship that uses pre-existing mechanics, but you can't add weapons with new mechanics or a ship with new systems, etc.

Because the ship blueprint itself is considered a mechanic of the core game's code, it's impossible to add a new "mechanic" of a ship.
Last edited by NarnKar on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:09 pm

There is a hard coded limit on ships. When the game loads, it loads a certain amount of player ships (as far as I can tell) and there is no way to tell it otherwise.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:00 am

Technically I proposed a way once, but since decided it'd be too fragile for modders.
Custom saved games include references to random seeds, and RNGs are platform-specific.

Thread: A way to play with more than 9 ships