[Question] Is it possible to make a "damaged" ship?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
English Narwhal

Re: [Question] Is it possible to make a "damaged" ship?

Postby English Narwhal » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:15 am

If you set a 'hidden' event trigger with a basic requirement (Engines 1, for instance), the 'Continue' option will not appear on that specific event.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:27 am

True, true. I forgot about that, actually! Thanks, Narwhal.
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:08 am

So I could basically code an event like this:

Statement
- Blue Option (Basic System) -> Continue

- Blue Option (Specific Augment) -> Continue -> Damage

But for only the second option to appear, I'd have to forgo a system that is included on every ship in the game when it starts (excluding Piloting and Engines, as both are needed) except for the ship that I want to take damage. So either Weapons or Oxygen will have to go... I guess I could make an all-Lanius ship that has been improperly salvaged or something. Unless I'm forgetting something here.
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:38 pm

TheFallenAngel359 wrote:So I could basically code an event like this:

Statement
- Blue Option (Basic System) -> Continue

- Blue Option (Specific Augment) -> Continue -> Damage

But for only the second option to appear, I'd have to forgo a system that is included on every ship in the game when it starts (excluding Piloting and Engines, as both are needed) except for the ship that I want to take damage. So either Weapons or Oxygen will have to go... I guess I could make an all-Lanius ship that has been improperly salvaged or something. Unless I'm forgetting something here.

I feel like there is an element of code that determines current hull that I am forgetting. You could also give them a dummy augment named "Damaged Hull" or "Challenge Mode" that triggers the events.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:48 pm

I feel like people are making this out to be harder than it actually is.

Code: Select all

<event name="{event name}">
   <text>{event text}</text>
   <choice req="{requirement}">
      <text>{choice text}</text>
      <event>
         {event stuff}
      </event>
   </choice>
</event>

That is a forced blue option. If the requirement isn't met, the game will place a default continue option that will end the event since there are no other choices available.

English Narwhal wrote:If you set a 'hidden' event trigger with a basic requirement (Engines 1, for instance), the 'Continue' option will not appear on that specific event.

This hidden thing prevents rewards and other various things from appearing on a choice, so you don't know the outcome before you select it. It does not make a choice not appear. Any ship with an engine would see the choice in this example.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:02 pm

So for the requirement to be met on one ship and one ship alone, this one ship must have things that every other ship lacks, right?
And the requirement has to be met in order for the forced blue option to appear, correct?
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:56 pm

RAD-82 wrote:I feel like people are making this out to be harder than it actually is.

Code: Select all

<event name="{event name}">
   <text>{event text}</text>
   <choice req="{requirement}">
      <text>{choice text}</text>
      <event>
         {event stuff}
      </event>
   </choice>
</event>

That is a forced blue option. If the requirement isn't met, the game will place a default continue option that will end the event since there are no other choices available.

English Narwhal wrote:If you set a 'hidden' event trigger with a basic requirement (Engines 1, for instance), the 'Continue' option will not appear on that specific event.

This hidden thing prevents rewards and other various things from appearing on a choice, so you don't know the outcome before you select it. It does not make a choice not appear. Any ship with an engine would see the choice in this example.

I meant to indicate a 'blue' event trigger rather than hidden. It's been a while/
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:32 am

On a not-so-similar note, is it possible to create a weapon that you cannot target a specific room with (like the Artillery Beam)?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:37 am

TheFallenAngel359 wrote:On a not-so-similar note, is it possible to create a weapon that you cannot target a specific room with (like the Artillery Beam)?

Don't think so. There used to be the ability to make rooms that didn't have any tiles, but AE changed that.
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:14 am

Ah, damn. I wanted to make a weapon like that, but I guess I can't...

Wait, doesn't CE have a beam like that?