[HELP/Ideas] Missile Ship Advice

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

[HELP/Ideas] Missile Ship Advice

Postby NarnKar » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:35 pm

So I'm trying to make a ship that's heavily reliant on missiles. Missiles are fun, after all (take that, shields!). It would be kind of like the Rock A, except not a total piece of trash. I also want there to be some kind of single-shot missile artillery system.

I'm kind of stuck for ideas on weapon loadouts, though. Any advice?
redlerred7

Re: [HELP/Ideas] Missile Ship Advice

Postby redlerred7 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:06 pm

The boring answer would probably be to just give it swarm and artemis launchers.
For more diverse options, we could go for maybe a Hermes Missile Launcher with two supporting Leto launchers.
Or if you feel like turning it into an overpowered missile hungry monster, four Leto launchers for a Red-Tail esque gunship that will mess you up.

But the single shot missile artillery, do you plan for it to be fast firing for a constant barrage of explosives; a slow charge launcher with the damage and breach chance of an ASB? I for one would go for the constant barrage one. I have a lot of fun with those types of weapons
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:20 pm

I'd like it to be a slow-charge single-shot launcher. But perhaps put 4 power into the artillery system, so the slow charge isn't so much of a problem?
redlerred7

Postby redlerred7 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:31 pm

Thinking on this, one of those explosive replicators would probably be great to have on a ship that primarily uses missles (especially if it uses the four leto missle build that I suggested)

Think of it, though, you're basically guaranteed at least one missile hit even if the enemy has a defense drone or two (provided that it doesn't miss)
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:44 pm

True, but it would be good if the big missile hit rather than the small ones. As with any single-shot projectile weapon, accuracy is a big issue, especially later in the game.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:27 am

Yep, but having the ship start with a powerful multi-shot missiles could circumvent that issue.

Alternatively, giving the ship a hacking system and high powered missiles to start with can also create viable builds that do not depend too much on enhancing the player ability to get ammo. From my experience ammo seems to be the most pressing issues with missile heavy ships though.

That idea could be pushed further by creating some unique missiles to go with the hacking, like very slow, high powered torpedoes that require you to watch your hack-timing a more closely... just an idea.
redlerred7

Postby redlerred7 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:39 am

With a ship like this, stealth and evasion is probably more of the threat than defense drones. Along with Hacking, maybe give it a weapon the shoots dummy missiles? Like, it doesn't pierce though shields, it basically just shoots a bunch of solid projectile that can be targeted by defense drones. I believe Captains Edition made use of such a weapon. You first shoot the weapon, then send your hacking module to turn off their piloting or engines, then shoot the big missle
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:01 pm

I was thinking instead of hacking, maybe an ion-bomb type weapon that one would use on the piloting. Like an Effector from CE.