[MOD] [WIP] FTL: Otherspace

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Shadowlink1290s

Re: [MOD] [WIP] FTL: Otherspace

Postby Shadowlink1290s » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:34 pm

Hello. This is Shadowlink, one of the guys who was working on this mod. This is an update for all who were wondering how development was going. Unfortunately, fallen has been very busy, pausing development. Soon, he will begin development again. However, it has come to our attention the limits of the game. So, we have decided to work on rewriting the game in JavaScript. This will be released seperately, as will some addon features for otherspace. We have begun work on various ideas. So we have begun to attemt to finish all idea work while rewriting, then begin coding them. This is a tall order, so be prepared for this to take a while. The release date is unknown, however I predict the rewrite to release some time at the end of 2017 or beginning of 2018, and the full otherspace experience to release some time in 2018 or 2019. We may begin releasing beta versions if we have to, but for now, development on anything is paused. If you would like to help, we would welcome it.
It's all fun and games until you've broken a mailbox and driven into a ditch.
CamRa

Postby CamRa » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Shadowlink1290s wrote:Hello. This is Shadowlink, one of the guys who was working on this mod. This is an update for all who were wondering how development was going. Unfortunately, fallen has been very busy, pausing development. Soon, he will begin development again. However, it has come to our attention the limits of the game. So, we have decided to work on rewriting the game in JavaScript. This will be released seperately, as will some addon features for otherspace. We have begun work on various ideas. So we have begun to attemt to finish all idea work while rewriting, then begin coding them. This is a tall order, so be prepared for this to take a while. The release date is unknown, however I predict the rewrite to release some time at the end of 2017 or beginning of 2018, and the full otherspace experience to release some time in 2018 or 2019. We may begin releasing beta versions if we have to, but for now, development on anything is paused. If you would like to help, we would welcome it.

If I could, I would love to help on art.
Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Sun May 22, 2016 3:39 am

beta test?
killin' slugs and beating Rebels since 2014, modding the game since 2016
Shadowlink1290s

Postby Shadowlink1290s » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:54 pm

So, I talked to Fallen again(a long time ago. Just had to think of how to put it.) We realized that the javascript version would end up copyrighted. So a few things that would have required that version will either be taken out entirely, or made into a seperate mod. But hey, that means less work and that the otherspace mod itself might actually release faster. Keyword: MIGHT
Shadowlink1290s

Postby Shadowlink1290s » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:55 pm

CamRa wrote:If I could, I would love to help on art.

Thanks for the offer, do you have a preferred way of contact? We are reviving the mod in the next few weeks, and would like your help.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:43 am

Shadowlink1290s wrote:We realized that the javascript version would end up copyrighted. So a few things that would have required that version will either be taken out entirely, or made into a seperate mod. But hey, that means less work and that the otherspace mod itself might actually release faster. Keyword: MIGHT

look I know the last post made here was months ago, but I've just been thinking that if you were going to start from scratch but then realized you can't do that due to copyright (as in you can't give away FTL for free), then how about if you made a mod that required FTL to be installed with all its resources in order for the mod to work.

so in other words, I figure writing from scratch would have required a good know-how of programming, so in a similar fashion (look I know this analogy is flawed) what about creating a mod like the FTL Ship Selector that does some injecting, requiring the base game? the FTL Ship Selector (if you can make it work) allows you add as many ships as possible, not just limited to 26. there are things in this mod which you seek to do that just can't simply be done with the currently known modding. you'll need to step outside the bounds if you really want to add new races and weapon upgrading.

I've made this reply because I know shadowlink is still out there somewhere. whether or not progress continues is yet unknown, but I am still looking forward to this mod for what it's worth.
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:21 am

Oh my god guys, I'm finally back! If there's anyone here still hoping for this mod to become a reality, please contact me.
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:35 am

TheFallenAngel359 wrote:Oh my god guys, I'm finally back! If there's anyone here still hoping for this mod to become a reality, please contact me.

If you do end up trying to finish this...

TheFallenAngel359 wrote:Unfortunately, due to both Operation: Clonebay and Overdrive both being abandoned once again, we will be unable to implement the planned new races of the original mod. This means that many other features had to be constrained as well. I like the idea, but we won't be able to include them, sadly.

..there's this. If you can convince Northern_Warrior to add the stuff you want it could totally happen.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:37 am

I totally just noticed that. Needless to say I will be reaching out to them in hopes that something can be arranged here.

Oh, and one other thing... I'm in the process of creating a Discord server for any and all people who want to contribute to this mod. Let me know if you're interested and I'll shoot you an invite.
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:04 pm

TheFallenAngel359 wrote:I'm in the process of creating a Discord server for any and all people who want to contribute to this mod. Let me know if you're interested and I'll shoot you an invite.

I have some hulls I'd be more than willing to contribute! Here's the links from the Shipyard thread.

Brown Rock Hull Recolors: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11539&start=240#p107085

Type C Hull Recolors: (If you want the pirate tattoos tell me and I'll create a download link for those): viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11539&start=210#p101659
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.