[WIP] MLAS Weapons pack v.??? Railguns, photocasters, & Back from the dead!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
WhiteWeasel

Re: [WIP] MLAS Weapons pack! Railguns, Gemini lasers & More!

Postby WhiteWeasel » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:24 pm

Here is a prototype of my railgun. This one is the railgun charger, I thought it would be cool to give it a power bar for each charge and a little light on the barrel that blinks on (in addition to the charge bars) when shot is stored.
Here is a one with vanilla shades. I think it looks better.

A fortunate thing about them is that they are often portrayed with a minimal amount of moving parts. I.E. I can cheat and get away with not having a recoil animation. Though I might want to add some sparks in place of the recoil so I don't look lazy. Also tips for my not so great shading?
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:53 am

Hrm. On my laptop I'd say the Vanilla shades look better, but now that I'm back at my workbench I'm really not so sure.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:59 am

NarnKar wrote:Hrm. On my laptop I'd say the Vanilla shades look better, but now that I'm back at my workbench I'm really not so sure.

Would you say it looks better in-game? Also are the guiding brackets on the railguns different enough to tell them apart?
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:50 pm

I'd say they're pretty different, yes. The medium and the large look a bit similar though--perhaps add some machinery to the back of the gun?

One thing I'd like to ask is--why do they have different mounting points? It looks like the medium and large railguns near the front of the Kestrel aren't lined up with each other.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:05 pm

NarnKar wrote:I'd say they're pretty different, yes. The medium and the large look a bit similar though--perhaps add some machinery to the back of the gun?

One thing I'd like to ask is--why do they have different mounting points? It looks like the medium and large railguns near the front of the Kestrel aren't lined up with each other.

They have identical mounting points, it's apparently an issue that happens when you make a sprite bugger than a glaive beam. Also I sadly learned you can make a charge weapon with more than one charge bar. So this won't work:

As for that "blank" charge bar on the other rails, I was thinking giving them different amounts of notches based on that railguns rank. The small one will only have one bar, the medium will have two, the large will have four, and the charge will have two rounded bars.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:14 pm

WhiteWeasel wrote:As for that "blank" charge bar on the other rails, I was thinking giving them different amounts of notches based on that railguns rank. The small one will only have one bar, the medium will have two, the large will have four, and the charge will have two rounded bars.

I was thinking a bit more "bulk" towards the back, like, making the grey parts bigger.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:47 pm

NarnKar wrote:
WhiteWeasel wrote:As for that "blank" charge bar on the other rails, I was thinking giving them different amounts of notches based on that railguns rank. The small one will only have one bar, the medium will have two, the large will have four, and the charge will have two rounded bars.

I was thinking a bit more "bulk" towards the back, like, making the grey parts bigger.

Thing is though the large railgun is as big I can make it without it poking out of the UI box, and since It is the most powerful, it would be weird to have the smaller railguns have the extra bulk.

EDIT: Below Resolved by RAD-82
Anyways, Do you know how to do the animation code for a charge weapon? What will I need for my sprite?
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:51 pm

New Version released! Now you guys get to play with fully sprited railguns!
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:03 pm

I hear drones and missile tubes are pretty easy to sprite so I'll do those next, thing is though I don't know where to start. Spriting is easy if I had an idea of what it is going to look like already, but when I don't it's much harder. For now I'm taking a short break as I spent more time modding FTL than actually playing it.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:53 pm

Hey guys, I'm back and I have another weapon concept from ringrunner to add. These weapons are called photocasters. Essentially little weak spammer weapons. Due to chain weapon limitations I can't make them get more inaccurate the longer they fire, but instead I made them really inaccurate (As bad, if not worse than flak). They typically fire more projectiles than a burst laser of the same power usage, so it has greater damage potential, but it's unlikely that all of them will connect. In fact their aim is so bad, you might even want to aim at a spot get the most rooms in your target area to increase the chances of actually hitting the ship rather than trying to snipe out a system. However, like the flak they are still good a breaking down shields.

This is the more accurate of the photocasters. A two power four shot one.