Making weapons with custom effects?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
WhiteWeasel

Re: Making weapons with custom effects?

Postby WhiteWeasel » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:38 am

NarnKar wrote:
The big railgun seems kinda OP fot it's shield piercing of five and five damage shot accompanying it plus a guarantee to breach. But, for it's price, power use, and rarity it has to compete with the glaive beam and vulcan.

It also has to compete with enemies' dodge chance, especially in the lategame where they have stupidly high evasion.

Yeah I guess the shield piercing is balanced out by the fact that the damage is all or nothing. Though you can hack the cockpit and have them kiss good-bye to their shields. :lol: I Still really want to add a custom projectile sprite for it though.

Also tired of engi ships shutting down your missile shenanigans? I made this neat little launcher:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqSF8eEVFyE&feature=youtu.be

Now you might want to wait on this one. It's a little defective. Ever had a mod item you make spectacularly fail like that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99HUPJ4oCJw&feature=youtu.be
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:59 pm

That "decoy missile" idea is actually really clever.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:57 am

With some help I have managed to get a custom sound for my titan beam and a projectile sprite for my railguns. Now should go whole hog and make custom sprites for all of my weapons (or at least may favorites.)? Where should I start? Would making visual alterations/splicing from the existing sprites be good enough?
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:16 pm

WhiteWeasel wrote:Now should I go whole hog and make custom sprites for all of my weapons (or at least my favorites.)? Where should I start? Would making visual alterations/splicing from the existing sprites be good enough?

Yes, by all means! And most people do splice weapons from the existing sprites, yeah.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:25 am

NarnKar wrote:
WhiteWeasel wrote:Now should I go whole hog and make custom sprites for all of my weapons (or at least my favorites.)? Where should I start? Would making visual alterations/splicing from the existing sprites be good enough?

Yes, by all means! And most people do splice weapons from the existing sprites, yeah.

It's not done yet, but how's this?
NOTE to self: Beam weapons are actually one of the harder weapons to sprite in FTL because you have that "Glow" effect going on.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:03 pm

WhiteWeasel wrote:It's not done yet, but how's this?
NOTE to self: Beam weapons are actually one of the harder weapons to sprite in FTL because you have that "Glow" effect going on.

Ooh, that's quite pretty.

I personally find Lasers harder to sprite because I don't really know how to emulate recoil well.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:42 pm

NarnKar wrote:
WhiteWeasel wrote:It's not done yet, but how's this?

Ooh, that's quite pretty.

I personally find Lasers harder to sprite because I don't really know how to emulate recoil well.

Here, now you get to see it in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgxyjASX1us

Also I was thinking of making it yellow to fit the color scheme of the other stun weapons, but a yellow strea- I mean beam would have some rather unfortunate implications. :?
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:23 am

Well, I'll never look at CE's stun beams the same way again. Those are yellow stun beams.

:PPPPP
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:46 am

NarnKar wrote:Well, I'll never look at CE's stun beams the same way again. Those are yellow stun beams.

:PPPPP

Anyways how do you like the weapons I have made so far? As for sprites, I think I'll stick with recolors/alterations as place holders to keep it simple then go back and see what I want to revise once I get better at making original sprites. Would you like to discuss all of the weapons I have in the works? (about 10) I'd like to get balance feedback and hope my weapons don't overlap existing niches that other weapons mods filled. I really really hope my railguns are fairly original. And I'm pretty sure my "decoy missiles" are. ;)

EDIT: Also I have a few weapon ideas but they are based on a few from another game. Should I mix them in with this, or release them separately as a themed mod?

Heres one of my failed ideas.

Code: Select all

<weaponBlueprint name="LASER_UNCHAINGUN">  <!-- 1 shot 1power-->
   <type>LASER</type>
   <title>Overclocked Laser</title>
   <short>OC L.</short>
   <tip>tip_chain_laser</tip>
   <desc>This overclocked laser starts out with excellent firepower that decreases over time in battle.</desc>
   <tooltip>Nope doesn't work. :( </tooltip>
   <damage>1</damage>
   <shots>2</shots>
   <sp>0</sp>
   <fireChance>1</fireChance>
   <breachChance>0</breachChance>
   <cooldown>5</cooldown>
   <power>2</power>
   <cost>65</cost>
   <bp>2</bp>
   <rarity>0</rarity>
   <image>laser_light1</image>