[MOD][WIP] Star Trek Enterprise NX-01 + UI LCARS Theme

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Degra

Re: [MOD][WIP] Star Trek Enterprise NX-01 + UI ICARS Theme

Postby Degra » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Deutrium? Don't they usually need that for propulsion in the series?) but never mind me do whatever you want I'm just a bit confused in gneral :D

Firstly, you surely mean the isotope of hydrogen which is called Deuterium and secondly,
the propulsion resource in Star Trek is called Dilithium. I would prefer DIL or DL in the GUI.

To the torpedos: there were only Photonic Torpedos for the Federation in Star Trek Enterprise (the NX-01 series) which makes it fine to use PT there, as long as you don't plan to add Romulan/Klingon/whatever ships there.
Season 3 added Photon Torpedos IIRC but PT is fine there too.

/nerd rage off :ugeek:

I like your Photon torpedo sprite and they're fine IP/lore-wise
But honestly I would prefer a Phaser-Beam weapon to the Phaser cannon as a starting weapon with an orange, continuous beam.

:edit: :nerdrage: Finally, the thread has been updated to LCARS and not ICARS Theme. (One thing that bothers me: The NX-01 didn't have LCARS, it was introduced in Enterprise D, which is more than 200 years later lore-wise.)
bhosp

Re: [MOD][WIP] Star Trek Enterprise NX-01 + UI LCARS Theme

Postby bhosp » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:50 pm

I came in here to suggest a Star Trek Mod and now I've found someone is already ON IT.

If I were the developers of this game, I would be trying really hard to get an official Star Trek license. The Rebel Fleet you're running from could easily be recast as a Borg Cube, and the Last Stand could easily be recast as Wolf 359.

I don't know anything about how the economics of that would work but licensing Star Trek IP would come with a huge built-in audience.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:01 pm

bhosp wrote:I don't know anything about how the economics of that would work but licensing Star Trek IP would come with a huge built-in audience.

I think they already pretty much get that audience, while it would alienate other players that isn't into star trek. In my opinion that would be unnecessary and should probably be avoided.

I know for a fact that I'd be less interested in the game if it was part of the star trek franchise.
Degra

Postby Degra » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:04 pm

A free official Star Trek license for a mod for a widely unknown game?
Forget it. Totally ridiculous. You'd need millions to afford a license and a well known company with dozens of devs behind your request to develop a good game.

But you don't need a license to make a simple small mod though. There are countless 4X games and basically all of them have at least one dedicated Star Trek mod dev team. And none of them have a license.

I agree with your suggestions about rebels and the last stand, those could be easily renamed, the flagship would require to be remodeled and the weapons/effects/layout/ etc. redone though.

I'd love to see a Star Trek total conversion mod for FTL, but for the time being I'll be happy enough to have 2 Star Trek ships and an LCARS UI available. (There is another Star Trek modder with a working Constitution class ship mod)
kevinandersson

Postby kevinandersson » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Total Conversion
I've been thinking about it. The ship alone took me a day or so to make, but there are so many elements to create. Here's a small list of what goes into making a single ship.

1. Sprite assets.Base, cloak, floor, as well as 6 seperate sprites for the destruction scene
2. Fitting all sprites within existing artwork
3. Figuring out what the overall layout of the ship should be
4. Editing the floor-plan - which is a pain. Really, someone should come up with a editor :shock:
5. Creating custom weapons (which includes new spritework, animations, stats and other data)

As for the UI - that's a totally different monster. There are a crazy amount of files. Currently I reworked around 360 unique elements. Refitting existing sprites - which is also why I have to make some compromises. That said, playing with the new UI is awesome, can't wait for you guys to play around with it.

Star Trek lore and tech. details
I love the series, especially TNG – but I am no master in the lore. I just thought it would be interesting to play the game with the LCARS interface, as well as a federation ship. So don't nerdrage on me for getting the details wrong :ugeek:

Ship update
I think I am getting close to finishing the ship. Below is the NX-01 being destoyed. As you can see there are no seperate graphics for your ship actionpanel and the enemy actionpanel. The elements are also offset - which is pretty annoying. I am trying to figure out a solution for that.

Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Looks like it's coming along pretty nicely. I do see the issue with the icon buttons and offsetting. Might need to compromise a little on the look to make it match up right.
I can't say I'm a huge fan of ST but the ship and interface are admittedly pretty sexy. Will continue to keep an eye on this! :D
kevinandersson

Postby kevinandersson » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Test Build
Download the latest preview assets [https://www.dropbox.com/s/ceiqzq2xs83xrsf/Enterprise%20NX-1-230912.zip]here[/url] (should be online in 10 minutes), and make your own build. If someone is up for helping me making a FTL file - please let me know.

Please note that this is not final at all - and remember to backup your original dat files. This should only be downloaded if you know what you're doing.

I would love to hear your suggestions regarding:
Ship: Difficulty adjustments, layout adjustments, bugs
LCARS: Problems with assets, but not on obviously missing assets. As mentioned before - this is not a final build, just to get a new set of eyes on it.
Last edited by kevinandersson on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Degra

Postby Degra » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:31 pm

It's a broken link for some reason.
Btw the ftl file is simply a renamed zip folder.
kevinandersson

Postby kevinandersson » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:38 pm

Degra wrote:It's a broken link for some reason.
Btw the ftl file is simply a renamed zip folder.

Link should be working now. Well, it's a zip - so you should just be able to rename it to FTL then ;)
Degra

Postby Degra » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Ok, the mod is up and running with the GMM mod manager for me.
May I ask you why there are DS Store files even in the folders for the Windows version? Just a mistake?

Besides of that, I somehow doubt that you intended the ship to start with a teleporter, a cloak and 3 weapons.
The UI is working well and nice, except some minor misplacements of the teleporter and cloak icon in the ship selection screen at the start of the game.

by the way, I extracted the Enterprise NX folder inside the zip into the mod folder and converted it into an ftl file.

:edit:
The Photon sprite doesn't seem to be working.