Star Trek: FTL

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Abs

Re: Star Trek: FTL

Postby Abs » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:28 am

New ship in the shipyards! The U.S.S. Saladin is the forward scout of the fleet. It will have advanced technology that will allow it to hack other ships, as it has less powerful weapons than the Constitution Class.

...and the interior.

Abs
Click to go to the mod's facebook page for the latest updates!
Abs

Postby Abs » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:53 pm

The U.S.S. Saladin faces off against a Romulan Bird of Prey! Click for Higher Resolution

Abs
Abs

Postby Abs » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:20 pm

I've started work on the third player ship. With the purpose of getting feedback from the community, I've decided that I'll take input from you guys about what to name the ship. Please provide the following:

Ship Name:
Registry Number:
The Reason Behind the Name:

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Abs
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:33 pm

In regards to your Saladin's layout, it looks like the medbay station is placed in front of the doors, meaning no one can get in...the custom rooms are really cool though!
Abs

Postby Abs » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:18 pm

NarnKar wrote:In regards to your Saladin's layout, it looks like the medbay station is placed in front of the doors, meaning no one can get in...the custom rooms are really cool though!

You're right that no one can get in from sickbay, but there is access from the Sensor room. :) Thanks for the nice comments...I was hoping that the rooms turned out alright.

Abs
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Abs wrote:
NarnKar wrote:In regards to your Saladin's layout, it looks like the medbay station is placed in front of the doors, meaning no one can get in...the custom rooms are really cool though!

You're right that no one can get in from sickbay, but there is access from the Sensor room. :) Thanks for the nice comments...I was hoping that the rooms turned out alright.

Abs

I see a misunderstanding. :lol:

As to what NarnKar was referring to, there is no issue. Crew should walk through that spot even though they can't occupy it.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
Abs

Postby Abs » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:10 pm

D'oh! I see what you mean.

Believe it or not, this hasn't been an issue so far.

Abs
Abs

Postby Abs » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:38 am

Meet the U.S.S. Centaur! It's currently 90% built in the shipyards. All that's left is a little bit more colouring, and a little bit more shading.

The registry number is in honour of the year that FTL was released. Starfleet really loves that game.

Abs
Abs

Postby Abs » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:44 pm

New ship! The U.S.S. Centaur is in-game!

The Miranda class starship a science vessel that is capable of exploring the deepest sectors of the Galaxy. Since its mission often carries it so far from reinforcements, it is equipped with the best medical facilities for its crew. It has a compliment of two phaser banks, and is capable of installing extra computers in order to hack enemy ships, and additional reserve batteries for auxiliary power in those dire situations.

Sorry for the lack of regular posts. Please don't take that to mean that the mod is dead...far from it actually! I've been working on the parts that doesn't have any screenshots to be posted. You'll see me regularly updating the first post with completed/updated tasks. I've added a ton of sectors to the map. I've also started converting the existing FTL events to better fit the Star Trek universe (race conversions, wording, etc). When all the events are converted, I'll be working on adding custom events as well. Naturally, this is a lot of work for just one person so I appreciate the patience and support provided by those that are waiting for this mod. If you're looking for more frequent updates, you can always like the ST:FTL Facebook page where I ask for feedback and input by those who would like to lend their ideas to the mod.

Abs wrote:Current Features (Click links for screenshots):

Planned Features:
  • Custom enemy weapons
  • New drone for the player
  • Modify Rock sprite sheet to look like Klingons.
  • Modify Zoltan sprite sheet to look like Romulans.

Since we can't make custom races, the following is my race legend:
  • Starfleet = Humans
  • Klingons = Rock
  • Romulans = Zoltan

Abs
Abs

Postby Abs » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:56 pm

I need help! :oops:

I'm replacing one of the event that are in events_rock.xml, but any event that calls for a hostile ship causes the game to crash. I've isolated it down to calling my Klingon ship, because the event works when I replace my Klingon ship with a default game one. This is an example of a ship being called:

In events_rock.xml

Code: Select all

<event name="KLINGON_SHIP_SURRENDER"> <!-- ST:FTL -->
   <text load="KLINGON_SHIP_SURRENDER"/>
   <choice>
      <text>Accept their offer.</text>
      <event>
         <ship hostile="false"/>
         <autoReward level="RANDOM">stuff</autoReward>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice>
      <text>We will not accept surrender!</text>
      <event/>
   </choice>
</event>
[textList is here.]
   <event>
      <text>Before you have a chance to leave, a Klingon patrol ship arrives and you intercept their comm chatter, "...appears we've finally found them. Their killing spree ends now!" Before you can plead your innocence they move in to attack.</text>
      <ship load="KLINGON_SHIP" hostile="true"/>
   </event>

My understanding is that this then calls the KLINGON_SHIP entry in events_ships.xml. This is my entry there:

<ship name="KLINGON_SHIP" auto_blueprint="SHIPS_KLINGON">
   <surrender  chance="0.1" min="3" max="4" load="KLINGON_SHIP_SURRENDER"/>
   <destroyed load="DESTROYED_DEFAULT"/>
   <deadCrew load="DEAD_CREW_DEFAULT"/>
</ship>

This then calls the SHIPS_KLINGON blueprintList in autoBlueprints.xml, which looks like this:

<blueprintList name="SHIPS_KLINGON">
   <name>Klingon_D7_Cruiser</name>
</blueprintList>

...and this then calls my ship blueprint, Klingon_D7_Cruiser, which is error free.

This doesn't seem to work, so I fear that the issue is one of ignorance on my end. Can anyone shed some light into where I'm going wrong?

Thanks,

Abs

[EDIT: Commenting out the surrender line in the events_ships.xml file seems to have stopped the crashes. I still don't know why it would cause it in the first place, but I guess I have to check out how other "surrender" events are coded and go from there.]