[MOD]Firefly - Serenity (by MattsterT)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Kieve

Re: [MOD]Firefly - Serenity (by MattsterT)

Postby Kieve » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:35 am

Thelionheart wrote:Thought I'd let you guys know I've started on a version of Serenity that is supposed to look cohesive with the art style of all the other ships. It's slow work where I have to section off specific parts of the ship, and since Serenity is a much more busy ship aesthetically than the vanilla ones, its taking me awhile. ATM I have about 53 sections sectioned off with about 3 hours of work. So far I've gotten the front, middle, wings, and engines, and cockpit. I've yet to start on the bridge/mess hall area and the "big" engine in the back.

Now this I like the sound of! Serenity is a great ship but I've avoided using this mod because it clashes too much with the rest of FTL's artwork. A more flat-colored sprite version would be very welcome.
MattsterT

Postby MattsterT » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:37 am

Thelionheart wrote:Thought I'd let you guys know I've started on a version of Serenity that is supposed to look cohesive with the art style of all the other ships. It's slow work where I have to section off specific parts of the ship, and since Serenity is a much more busy ship aesthetically than the vanilla ones, its taking me awhile. ATM I have about 53 sections sectioned off with about 3 hours of work. So far I've gotten the front, middle, wings, and engines, and cockpit. I've yet to start on the bridge/mess hall area and the "big" engine in the back.

That sounds fantastic, you'll have to forgive me if I'm a bit delayed to respond I'm working on allot of things right now including a mod-loader friendly version of the ship but as I said above I'd be happy to give an artist who submits assets co-creator status in terms of credits and any material that you'de like to be linked as well as the chance if you want to work your signature/logo into the mod somewhere. you wont have to worry about sizing and scale or the other complex elements since I can do that in code and conversion later on.
zephyr

Postby zephyr » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:22 pm

So me and a friend decided to start modding FTL, and this is what I've made so far (WIP):
I've only been working on it a day: Will get round to colouring it tomorrow
We're aiming for a more show accurate (rather than game balanced) mod for it, but I was wondering if you'd like to use it for this
Thelionheart

Postby Thelionheart » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:13 am

Whoa. That came out of the blue. I'm working on my own rendition of it which is a lot nore simplified than yours. I think keeping most of the ships detail would contrast too much with the other ships. It does appear however that you're a lot faster, and better than I am at photoshop. I'm essentially using the polygon lasso and sectioning off one part of theship at a time, whereas it seems like you are more or less outlining everything.
IMP1

Postby IMP1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:05 pm

I ain't no pixel artist, but I believe a man does what he can to cause a mischief against the Alliance.
And you'd be doing me a kindness by sayin' ma pixture was shiny.

;)
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:27 pm

Shiny indeed. I'd play the hell out of that ship.
rolfy

Postby rolfy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:30 am

Very shiny, IMP1. Have you made the gibs?
(I'm currently struggling to improve the gibs on my first ship - finding it hard to make the broken up interiors look decent :( )

I never noticed Serenity's port and starboard engine lights in the show (Had myself a nerdy little "Is that canon!?" moment)
boa13

Postby boa13 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:27 am

I have to say, this is shiny, very shiny. :)
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
JT`

Postby JT` » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:08 am

Gotta say, so far as all the boats in the 'verse go 'n all, that there is one of the prettiest little boats I done ever saw.
hellcatv

Postby hellcatv » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Since the FTL dev crew are requesting that we use .ftl mods instead of including game data, I've converted this into a .ftl mod that works with grognak's loader

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/users ... ly-0.5.ftl

Feel free to modify this one further--it's a lot easier to understand the changes when only the differenced files are here--and it's a ton smaller than the previous mod