[Tool] Superluminal 2.2.1 - FTL Ship Editor

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
kartoFlane

Re: [Tool] Superluminal 2.1.2b - FTL Ship Editor

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:48 pm

PurpleChair3 wrote:I just want to be able to save my progress, and load it in Superluminal the next day.

That's answered by FAQ #6.

I seem to recall that it's been asked at least once before, but I agree that digging through hundreds of pages of posts is a boring and grueling task. There's not much that can be done to help with that, sadly -- the forum's search functionality requires you to know the exact thing you're looking for, and Google tends to link to a thread's first post, instead of the relevant post itself.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:25 pm

@kartoFlame: what is the best procedure when creating a ship?
I have watched the video indicated in the FAQ #1, it would be easier to just write down a quick list.

Personally, what I do, once the program is running, is:

1) add Mods (if needed)
2) start to create a new player-ship
3) add images
- main picture
- floor
- stealth
- shields
- thumbnail
4) add gibs (if available)
4A) make gibs work → how?
5) add rooms
6) add systems and subsystems
6A) fix systems and subsystems
7) add doors
8) add stuff → weapons, augmentations, crew, drones, etc.
8A) double-check stuff
9) save as .ftl
10) install with SSM and enjoy!

Is there anything wrong? :? :?:
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:49 pm

Seems about right. The order in which you do stuff is pretty arbitrary really, whatever workflow is better for you.
Anyway, to access the gib controls, you need to have the Manipulation Tool selected. Then, you need to hide all other elements of the ship; pressing keys 1 through 8 will do that. Then you click on a gib, and in the sidebar you'll have access to either visual controls, or raw data, as in the ship's XML files.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:56 pm

kartoFlane wrote:Seems about right. The order in which you do stuff is pretty arbitrary really, whatever workflow is better for you.
Anyway, to access the gib controls, you need to have the Manipulation Tool selected. Then, you need to hide all other elements of the ship; pressing keys 1 through 8 will do that. Then you click on a gib, and in the sidebar you'll have access to either visual controls, or raw data, as in the ship's XML files.

Have you considered writing a quick-guide? Nothing special, maybe something like my previous post... I know that almost everyone here is now familiar with Superluminal, but those who arrive now (like me some ago), may find themselves "lost" without something indicating what to do and in what order. ;)
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:18 pm

Question: are weapons always placed below the hull? I was creating a ship with weapon mounted on the upper part of the hull, but if I can't have them displayed correctly, it's all useless! :o
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:20 pm

They will always be bellow as far as I know. You can do work around that with adding the weapon graphic to the actual hull graphic of the ship, don't know if that helps. Projectiles will also always spawn below the ship.
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:08 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:They will always be bellow as far as I know. You can do work around that with adding the weapon graphic to the actual hull graphic of the ship, don't know if that helps. Projectiles will also always spawn below the ship.

Crap, 3 hours (at least) have gone wasted then... :x
The idea was to transform the Fed. Cruiser into the Fed. "Battleship", where all cannons are placed above the hull and massively fire against all enemies.
TBH I was considering even giving 6 weapons slot (yes, I know it should be always avoided), but if the weapons can't be placed there I have, at very least, to change a lot, a lot, of things. :cry:
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:24 am

Auron1 wrote:TBH I was considering even giving 6 weapons slot (yes, I know it should be always avoided)

huh? why should 6 weapon slots be avoided? I've seen some ships with more, although autofire becomes an issue. maybe that's what you're getting at? on one of PLIOU's ship mods one of the ships has 8 slots if IIRC. I think maybe getting a drone system might screw with that, but it is possible to start with more than 6 slots.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:46 am

More than 4 weapon slots can crash the game if you try auto-firing Weapons 5 and/or 6.
Unless it's a beam. They somehow are not affected by autofire.
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:32 am

mr_easy_money wrote:huh? why should 6 weapon slots be avoided? I've seen some ships with more, although autofire becomes an issue. maybe that's what you're getting at? on one of PLIOU's ship mods one of the ships has 8 slots if IIRC. I think maybe getting a drone system might screw with that, but it is possible to start with more than 6 slots.

I probably didn't write clearly enough: the idea of 6 or more weapons was an extra, meaning that I needed first to place the weapons correctly, and only after that I could consider placing more than 4 of them.
My Exp. with SL is limited: if I read "Having more than 4 weapons can cause multiple issues" I'm definitely going to reconsider it.
Still, the problem that weapons are always placed below the hull remains: I will have to find something else...