[Tool] Superluminal 2.2.1 - FTL Ship Editor

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
azrael4h

Re: [Tool] Superluminal 2.1.0d

Postby azrael4h » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:00 am

I still had the prior version (2.1.0c) in my downloads folder, so that's still working. Oddly enough, now I can place a room layout with it, though I can't recall if I tried before updating to 2.1.0d. I think I downloaded it, let it sit a few days, then tried it out and got the update message.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Well, I did update the graphics library for the most recent release, so that probably fixed your first problem.
Regarding the hull image, it may be an issue with the way the image is saved -- FTL accepts only 32-bit PNG. You may need to re-save the image in Gimp or similar program.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
jarod029

Postby jarod029 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:51 am

kartoFlane wrote:Well, I did update the graphics library for the most recent release, so that probably fixed your first problem.
Regarding the hull image, it may be an issue with the way the image is saved -- FTL accepts only 32-bit PNG. You may need to re-save the image in Gimp or similar program.

Thanks man that fixed everything!
Awesome program will be using it a ton in the future.
kawell

Postby kawell » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:28 am

Hi,

I need help please. I make my ship and replace the kestrel cruiser and then I save it as a .ftl. Then what do I do? I have tried opening mod manager then loading my file but it doesn't come up when I go into FTL.

EDIT:

Dont worry, got it working.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:17 pm

Hey, sorry for bothering.
Running into a bit of issue here.
First time creating a custom hull image.
So I get it to load into superluminal, but get the above when loading it in.
I've read the post on the person above here having the same issue, and it being fixed by having the image saved as a 32-bit PNG.
Now the difference here is that instead of having nothing show up, I get those 2 boxes. (The one with the chessboard pattern and the smaller just black one). Furthermore, and this is coming from someone who still uses nothing but Paint and powerpoint for any art I have to make... Is there even something different then a 32-bit PNG?
From what I read so far you automatically have a 32-bit PNG if you use transparency.
And seeing that Superluminal won't load images that aren't in the PNG format, it might be something else.
Also considering the fact that I already created a custom ship, but you already know that since I asked permission to use the art ;) That one turned out great btw.

Another point of information I can give is that when clicking the option to show the hanger, I get the following :
So yeah, the image extends the size of the hangar by quite a bit. The room layout barely fits though.

So, if you have any insight in the matter, I'd like to get this problem past me.
Weather by saying that it can be fixed by this or that, or saying it can't be fixed and allowing me to move on to a different project.

Also, great program overall, easy to learn and use and everything you need is right there.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Hm, this is very weird. You said earlier that you're using Paint to create your images, and then an internet site to add transparency? Technically that could cause an error like that to happen, since you've no control over the kind of PNG you get back. IMO it would be best for you to just get a good graphics editing program like Photoshop or GIMP (free), and create the image with that.

That accounts for the first broken image (which I assume is the checkered one). The black rectangle could be caused by missing floor or cloak image. That can be fixed by setting it to a fully transparent image, or a copy of the hull image (in case of floor)
generalking007

Postby generalking007 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:39 am

Ok. I am going to preface this by saying I fully expect that after I post here, somehow I'll either figure out what I am doing wrong, or someone will point out something so obvious I won't know how I missed it.

Now that that bit of self deprecation is out of the way, on to my problem(s).

This is an edited version of the post because I was correct, and I did figure out some of my problems already.

at current I have an edited version of the boss ship layout, but whenever i load it, the game crashes, whether it was the 8 guns, the 4 drones, the 99 power, or what, im not sure, but i cant seem to edit and re-save it because i egt an error.

00:33:28.068 [main] TRACE com.kartoflane.superluminal2.ui.EditorWindow - Saving ship as E:\Slipstream Mod Manager v1.6-Win\mods\SUper boss ship of awesome please work-ness.ftl
00:33:28.072 [main] ERROR com.kartoflane.superluminal2.ui.EditorWindow - An error occured while saving the ship: java.nio.BufferUnderflowException
at net.vhati.ftldat.FileChannelRegionInputStream.read(FileChannelRegionInputStream.java:110)
at java.io.InputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at com.kartoflane.superluminal2.utils.IOUtils.readStream(IOUtils.java:183)
at com.kartoflane.superluminal2.utils.ShipSaveUtils.saveShip(ShipSaveUtils.java:228)
at com.kartoflane.superluminal2.utils.ShipSaveUtils.saveShipFTL(ShipSaveUtils.java:73)
at com.kartoflane.superluminal2.ui.ShipContainer.save(ShipContainer.java:377)
at com.kartoflane.superluminal2.ui.EditorWindow.promptSaveShip(EditorWindow.java:1501)
at com.kartoflane.superluminal2.ui.EditorWindow$15.widgetSelected(EditorWindow.java:608)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
at com.kartoflane.superluminal2.Superluminal.main(Superluminal.java:301)

Not sure what is going on there. or how to stick that into a spoiler so its not taking up so much room, because im an idiot.

It is a great system, from everything I can see, if my small mind can ever figure out how it works, I'm sure I will make some vaguely cool ships in future, so thank you for making it.

Thank you for your time, and for reading my post which will ultimately be answered by something I should have already noticed, but wont until its too late to take back my post.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:47 pm

So in theory. If I used the image created in paint, without transparancy, then use Gimp to make it transparent. It should work?
I'll give it a shot and report back.

EDIT : Yup... That does it.
Problem is that turning the entire color white transparent made half of the ships transparent as well. :lol:
Well, at least the issue is fixed. Now to find a color for the background that won't mess up the ships themselves when I make it transparent. Thanks man, much appreciated !
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:49 pm

I wholeheartedly recommend you instead learn your way around Gimp. It's got a bit of a learning curve but you can do amazing things in it, far more than you can do in Paint.

For example, you could put each ship on your main image as individual layers, and then easily drag them around individually when you realize they're off from what you want (instead of cut/paste you have to do in Paint). You can even overlap them, scale them, rotate them, even skew them in 100% undoable ways.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:18 pm

@generalking007
Sorry for the late reply, your post has just now become visible...

Anyhow, this is an odd error. For some reason the editor seems to think it has already reached the end of the file, when in fact it has not. Most likely this is caused by an error inside the file. You could try repacking the mod manually to see if your archiving program fixes/handles it correctly (change extension from .ftl to .zip, unpack, repack again, change from .zip to .ftl and load in editor).
If it doesn't, then the only thing I can suggest is to start over :(

And as a bonus heads-up, power values higher than ~32 are going to crash the game when you enter nebulae. You may want to avoid them with your otherwise undefeatable ship ;)