[MOD][WIP]The Arcadian War - Collaboration Mod

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Anthonest

Re: [MOD][WIP]The Arcadian War - Collaboration Mod

Postby Anthonest » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:05 pm

gr33ndog wrote:which of the weapons is the "Vindicator Artillery Beam MKI" that was mentioned in the lore if you don't mind my asking?

Glad you asked, were not exactly sure. The current lore was brain stormed during the dark ages of this mod, before R4V3-0N was even my co-dev. Originally, this mod was going to take place from a Federation perspective, and the Osprey was the main ship, the Vindicator Artillery Beam MKI was basically the experimental version of the current Artillery Beam.

But I saw the error in my ways learning that the Osprey was brand new and this mod takes place years before the Rebellion.

On a side note the Kestrel will be a relatively new ship in this mod and will be one of the scariest things you could come face to face with, as it will have a rather OP loadout.
gr33ndog

Postby gr33ndog » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:30 pm

Anthonest wrote:
gr33ndog wrote:which of the weapons is the "Vindicator Artillery Beam MKI" that was mentioned in the lore if you don't mind my asking?

Glad you asked, were not exactly sure. The current lore was brain stormed during the dark ages of this mod, before R4V3-0N was even my co-dev. Originally, this mod was going to take place from a Federation perspective, and the Osprey was the main ship, the Vindicator Artillery Beam MKI was basically the experimental version of the current Artillery Beam.

But I saw the error in my ways learning that the Osprey was brand new and this mod takes place years before the Rebellion.

On a side note the Kestrel will be a relatively new ship in this mod and will be one of the scariest things you could come face to face with, as it will have a rather OP loadout.
alright good to know and thanks for such a quick reply keeping tabs on this for a while now and it looks good keep up the great work guys/gals
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:32 am

Holy crap. I listened to your soundtrack, and holy crap.

Good work.
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
Lime11

Postby Lime11 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:37 pm

I think that this is just amazing. The fact that you guys can go to to so much effort just 'cause is brilliantly selfless. Just wanted to say thanks for making FTL and it's community so awesome. Can't wait to play! ;)
I like jokes! What? You wanna hear one?

"I've told you a million times! Don't exagerate!"

"An Australian walks out of a bar...... what? It could happen!"

Here's my YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS6lSD ... shjtnjY4Ow
Zoltan Connor

Postby Zoltan Connor » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:26 pm

Mmph! Sexy hulls are sexy!
theDoomBox

Postby theDoomBox » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:37 am

This looks to be fun when it's out, keep up the good work! On another note, I have a tiny problem with the ship hulls. Although generally I'm not a fan of spliced ship hulls(Not saying I haven't done it myself) a few of these are looking pretty groovy. My problem however is the advancement shown. These ships look at the level of tech as the events of vanilla ftl. If you could make them look less smooth with sharper and harder edges instead of curves, I think that would really help the overall aesthetic feeling. That's just my opinion though, and what do I know?
Anthonest

Postby Anthonest » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:33 pm

I feel i need to stress this a bit more, this isnt years and years before the Rebellion. People are assuming that the contrast between them is relative to one being Civil War tech compared to what we have today. Quite the opposite however, this mod takes place 50 years tops before the Rebellion. The technology advances between our timeline and the vanilla timeline are relatively minor. Perhaps similar to the changes from the 1980's to now.
theDoomBox

Postby theDoomBox » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:33 am

My bad, I didn't realize the time gap between this and vanilla. Still though I find the smoothness of the ships to not match what you describe very well. For instance, you say that the kestrel will be a fearsome new and powerful warship you will encounter, however its design is highly outdated in comparison to ship the player will be using especially considering the player ship resembles that of the federation cruiser, which of course is much newer then the kestrel. All I'm suggesting is making the ships more kestrel-y, so it'll fit the story that's told. I feel that if the kestrel is new and advanced then the other ships should certainly look more dated then the kestrel.
I think a good example of where you did well in fitting the ships to the era was with the fed assault, which is rough and not smooth, very much like many of the federation ships.

EDIT: I've reconsidered my point and decided that no one really cares anyway as long as the ships look half decent, so forget everything I said and carry on. The more I look at the ships the ore I like them anyways.
Anthonest

Postby Anthonest » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:36 pm

theDoomBox wrote:My bad, I didn't realize the time gap between this and vanilla. Still though I find the smoothness of the ships to not match what you describe very well. For instance, you say that the kestrel will be a fearsome new and powerful warship you will encounter, however its design is highly outdated in comparison to ship the player will be using especially considering the player ship resembles that of the federation cruiser, which of course is much newer then the kestrel. All I'm suggesting is making the ships more kestrel-y, so it'll fit the story that's told. I feel that if the kestrel is new and advanced then the other ships should certainly look more dated then the kestrel.
I think a good example of where you did well in fitting the ships to the era was with the fed assault, which is rough and not smooth, very much like many of the federation ships.

EDIT: I've reconsidered my point and decided that no one really cares anyway as long as the ships look half decent, so forget everything I said and carry on. The more I look at the ships the ore I like them anyways.

I wouldnt call The Kestrel new, just its the main Federation cruiser of the time, being very effective, just not new. Think of it as alot of current US military tech, no exactly top of the line high tech, but never the less effective. I would have to agree with you on the main ship, that's our best hull by far but your right, it does look quite high tech, not exactly fitting. Were thinking of an alternative but we havent come up with one.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:00 pm

theDoomBox wrote:you say that the kestrel will be a fearsome new and powerful warship you will encounter, however its design is highly outdated in comparison to ship the player will be using especially considering the player ship resembles that of the federation cruiser

50 years is quite a long time... In current age in the past 100 years...

50 years is the time between this....

To this....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... m_1968.jpg (image to big, gave link instead)

The difference is the plane in the 2nd pic moves over 10 times faster then the first, Has guns that can shoot faster then the ones on the triplane even though the triplane uses a machine gun instead of a cannon.

Drop fuel tanks...

Missiles and bombs bigger then the pilot or possibly a formation of bombers in the triplanes time period. etc...

With studies show that humanity is getting better and better in making more higher tech stuff. So in the time period of vanila and 50 years earlier... this is quite a large leap in tech... You also forget time isn't constant everywhere. It can be possible that it could be actually 100 earth years, 1000 earth years, or vice versa, 25 earth years. 15 earth years, etc.

I think the time is pretty good. I think the kestrel is more like a Sherman tank, it wasn't the best, but it was quite good for it's purpose and can be mass produced (Signs of mass production is the fact the rebels got a few kestrels in Vanilla due to the type B lay out, as well as pirates getting their hands on it on the type C lay out)
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.