Previews from the impatient

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Jimli_

Re: Previews from the impatient

Postby Jimli_ » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:44 pm

Made a type B for the Leone, not sure if I wanna change the hull too much or not. I have a pretty rad idea that involves cutting away the black capsule area and adding some style of warp engines, but I think I wanna save that for type C.
Last edited by Jimli_ on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:43 am

"Vintage" Rebel Cruiser... I've already asked sleeper earlier if he would like me to make more vintage rebel ships and/or captured Federation ships for Captains Edition however he declined my request as he thinks the two standard vintage hulls was enough and that was the end of this lil project I had in mind. However since I am going to practice on making events and simply adding enemies I thought what better way to tackle this then to make new enemy hulls and this was one of the things that was on my mind.
used Kieves Rebel Cruiser as a template however as you can see it's nearly drastically changed in all but profile. The "wing engines" are switched to vintage, the 'engine engines' as well, I switched the helm to be the one I've made already for the Vintage Rebel Flagship, in case you forgot posting it after the cruiser) as well as changed up the main hull, all that remains is parts of the hull itself. to make it look consistent with the original. Kieve did an awesome job on the original which is used for Captains Edition right now and from memory a result of a failed mod he personally went for.
And as a reminder to what the original vintage ships look like...

Rebel Rigger (2 different paint jobs: early and late)
Rebel Fighter
Elite Rebel Fighter
(I am gonna do a repaint of this cruiser into the elite pattern)

What do you guys think?...
And yes, my coding skills is drastically slower then my art skills: I make ships and weapon art left and right and center but when it comes to coding it probably takes me months to release a single ship or weapon pack...
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:17 pm

Well the cruiser looks straight up awesome. If you'd still like me to integrate it we could potentially use it for the Rebel Freighter. I'd need the base image and gibs to match position and size of my original cruiser for this to work though. Awesome work so far! I like the flagship a lot as well, but it is probably too big to fit the regular enemy window, is it?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:12 pm

Those are some badass vintage ships. I wonder what kind of encounter you'd get from the Vintage Flagship though?
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:31 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Well the cruiser looks straight up awesome. If you'd still like me to integrate it we could potentially use it for the Rebel Freighter. I'd need the base image and gibs to match position and size of my original cruiser for this to work though. Awesome work so far! I like the flagship a lot as well, but it is probably too big to fit the regular enemy window, is it?

I would not mind that at all. I can give you the base image and ribs later, however as it currently stands: it is a little bit wider and longer then the regular rebel cruiser you have do to the nature of the hull versus the 'wings' (which are also longer then standard by a little). Still fits on the window box for the enemy ships, but it's just that bit bigger and wider.
If you want I can try to make a 'shaved' of version which is shorter and thinner to match the proportions perfectly.

The flagship sadly is 1:1 with the vanilla flagship- thus it is a little to big... however I can make a heavily battered down version. Sort of like a Flagship 3rd stage but with some minor cosmetically repairs (in a way similar to how a Slug Assault has broken parts or your pirate space station has a section broke off. but in this case it's the left and right engine/wings).

stylesrj wrote:Those are some badass vintage ships. I wonder what kind of encounter you'd get from the Vintage Flagship though?

When a new flagship is produced in real life (well more during war time / WWII) the former flagship battered or not is usually kept into service as a capital ship/ battleship. So in the Rebel Stronghold we can see this thing somewhere with ASB's firing at you and such... the alternative idea is that the original crew were killed/ wiped out/ abandoned ship and pirates took control of it as a 'pirate flagship' however without an ai system and not as many devastating weapon systems as the original flagship.
The other idea is one I had in mind with a zoltan encounter based on the Bionicle "Dark mirror" world. (which in bionicle is a dark and twisted alternate reality from normal). Basically the anomaly happens, blue event happens, and boom- you are fighting the 3rd stage of the Vintage Rebel Flagship after an alt universe heated combat between the Federation Cruiser Kestrel- might come with an interesting dialogue as well... like state something along the lines of "we will defend the universe no matter what are the costs!" and opens fire on your ship mistaking you for the evil federation in their universe... maybe a zoltan piece option blue event (zoltan shield -> zoltan crew). to calm the captain down. Might help get him back as well or something.

Something I might do as an event for one of my mods.

Out of curiosity from memory the artillery system in FTL on enemy ai's are just the same ones the rebel flagship uses, with more artillery systems doing the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc weapon on the flagship (was it laser -> missile -> beam -> ion?).
Is it possible to have this thing with a single artillery (for the helm) and then a normal weapon system for the rest of the weapons?
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:50 pm

The other idea is one I had in mind with a zoltan encounter based on the Bionicle "Dark mirror" world... etc etc

Yeah, but the problem with that sort of thing is that you'd probably not encounter it in 100 games and while memorable, you'd wish it would pop up.
Reminds me of an event you could get in a Crystal Sector. I have not encountered it yet because RNG...

You find a cache, break through the hard shell around it using some sort of method and then if it turns out "just right", you set off a black hole that threatens to kill your crew unless you use your engines/teleport to rescue them or by using up all your fuel.

But chances are that no one has encountered it because first of all, you need to get to the Crystal Sector and there's plenty of RNG for that event to just be "Oh the moon has nothing interesting on the surface" "Your missile didn't work" "You break in and find a few bits of Scrap" "You're boarded."

So yeah, if you are to script such an encounter, don't make it so complicated to find as the Crystal Cache. Or Abadoth. Does that one even exist?

Out of curiosity from memory the artillery system in FTL on enemy ai's are just the same ones the rebel flagship uses, with more artillery systems doing the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc weapon on the flagship (was it laser -> missile -> beam -> ion?).
Is it possible to have this thing with a single artillery (for the helm) and then a normal weapon system for the rest of the weapons?

Possibly. You just have to set the blueprints, right?
Hell, the Flagship could use regular guns alongside the Artillery. Just that no one actually has done that I believe because that'd be ridiculous to have to fight 4 separate artillery systems AND 4 Burst Laser II's
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:02 am

stylesrj wrote:
The other idea is one I had in mind with a zoltan encounter based on the Bionicle "Dark mirror" world... etc etc

Yeah, but the problem with that sort of thing is that you'd probably not encounter it in 100 games and while memorable, you'd wish it would pop up.
Reminds me of an event you could get in a Crystal Sector. I have not encountered it yet because RNG...

You find a cache, break through the hard shell around it using some sort of method and then if it turns out "just right", you set off a black hole that threatens to kill your crew unless you use your engines/teleport to rescue them or by using up all your fuel.

But chances are that no one has encountered it because first of all, you need to get to the Crystal Sector and there's plenty of RNG for that event to just be "Oh the moon has nothing interesting on the surface" "Your missile didn't work" "You break in and find a few bits of Scrap" "You're boarded."

So yeah, if you are to script such an encounter, don't make it so complicated to find as the Crystal Cache. Or Abadoth. Does that one even exist?

Possibly. You just have to set the blueprints, right?
Hell, the Flagship could use regular guns alongside the Artillery. Just that no one actually has done that I believe because that'd be ridiculous to have to fight 4 separate artillery systems AND 4 Burst Laser II's

well tbh I have never entered the crystal sector yet... 500 hours so far and not a single time there- however I did get the crystal crew member a few times from the stasis pod. I also one time got 2 crystal crew members due to getting 2 stasis pods and finding the zoltan science facility twice.
And TBH I never had the 'ABADOTH' event- well to the Zoltan ship point (had to go wiki that event up, it's a thing) but one time and I had a clone bay and simply revived the person... This event is quite cool. However it isn't anything to die or cry over. However I love events like these as it makes playthroughs that have this occurring even more unique.

however the way I intend this event is basically well it's a unique event, you'll see it only once and it'll in the zoltan sector or something. Rather it gives a quest beacon or it happens then and now- the Vintage Rebel Flagship appears from an alternate timeline and universe. So this is a lot more common to get then say ABADOTH or crystal homeworlds. Perhaps you will at least see it as often as the event to get the crystal stasis pod... (not getting the pod- just simply seeing the event). So it's common enough that if you are persistent you will see it every few games... not quite 100+ hours worth of hunting down. Anyway, I want this event to be as 'rare' as the Rebel Shipyard event where you fight the 2nd Rebel Flagship. To prevent ya know... killing the same vintage flagship 3 times in a single play through and still come across the 2nd one and then kill the final one.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:47 am

Speaking of an alternate reality... I now want to make a mod where you do a lil time/ universe traveling (crystal sector) and have a whole sector of Vintage rebel ships versus Federation in a twisted universe...
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:59 am

Maybe instead of fighting the Flagship Construction, you fight the Vintage Flagship who is guarding the Flagship Construction.
Because while they're making the new ones, the old Flagship designs are guarding them?
It could be a 50/50 thing... You fight the Flagship Construction sometimes or it could go "As you approach the shipyard, a massive ship appears on the space horizon! It's an old Rebel Flagship having been regulated to guard duty."
Then after you blow it up, it's like "Upon blowing up the ship, you proceed to looting the shipyards of supplies. You find a Federation Cruiser there, blah blah blah, fleet delay and a weapon"