Previews from the impatient

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
RAD-82

Re: Previews from the impatient

Postby RAD-82 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:55 am

Russian Rockman wrote:A ssssssssychadelic sssslug ship!!!

That word never came to mind, but it might have caused me to make the floor colorful. :mrgreen:

The ship is named Enigma.
This thing was a nightmare to code (sooooo many doors, and I had no idea where they were going to go when I placed the rooms), and I can't even test it yet to see if it works. I never thought I would make a glitchy ship like this, because I don't really like them. :roll: I thought about making a graphic to show where each door goes, but I haven't placed the systems yet, so I didn't. :P Two of these rooms are separate from the rest of the ship, but they have an airlock so you can suffocate boarders that get trapped in them. :twisted:
MightyKebab wrote:I had the idea of two slug ships today, one would have a weak beam and rely on it's hacking drone, while the other would rely on boarding with a single slug and a level 2 mind control system. Would you, by any chance, make an attempt at these concepts next time you feel like making a ship?

Per this request, it will have a single slug with a teleporter and mind control system. It will be equipped with a Maelstrom Bomb, whatever that is, and a Mini Beam.

edit: Link to mod
Last edited by RAD-82 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:31 pm

RAD-82 wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:A ssssssssychadelic sssslug ship!!!

That word never came to mind, but it might have caused me to make the floor colorful. :mrgreen:

The ship is named Enigma.

Lusssssssssssy in the sssssssky with diamondsssssssssss, Ringo!
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:52 pm

RAD-82 wrote:The ship is named Enigma.

This thing was a nightmare to code (sooooo many doors, and I had no idea where they were going to go when I placed the rooms), and I can't even test it yet to see if it works. I never thought I would make a glitchy ship like this, because I don't really like them. :roll: I thought about making a graphic to show where each door goes, but I haven't placed the systems yet, so I didn't. :P Two of these rooms are separate from the rest of the ship, but they have an airlock so you can suffocate boarders that get trapped in them. :twisted:
MightyKebab wrote:I had the idea of two slug ships today, one would have a weak beam and rely on it's hacking drone, while the other would rely on boarding with a single slug and a level 2 mind control system. Would you, by any chance, make an attempt at these concepts next time you feel like making a ship?

Per this request, it will have a single slug with a teleporter and mind control system. It will be equipped with a Maelstrom Bomb, whatever that is, and a Mini Beam.

I like the room and door placement. Very creative. ;)

Did you come up with the Maelstrom name? Or are you talking about my Maelstrom bomb from Open Artillery?

Code: Select all

<weaponBlueprint name="ARTILLERY_JELLY">
   <type>BOMB</type>
  <!--"RR" MAELSTROM!!!!!!-->
   <title>Maelstrom Cluster Bomb</title>
   <short>Artillery</short>
   <desc>Slug ships use this weapon to teleport several bombs onto ships, damaging crew, systems, and causing mayhem.  Requires no missiles.  More power means faster cooldown</desc>
   <tooltip>Artillery: Automatically launches three bombs that damage crew and systems but not hull.</tooltip>
   <damage>0</damage>
   <sysDamage>1</sysDamage>
   <persDamage>2</persDamage>
   <missiles>0</missiles>
   <shots>3</shots>
   <sp>0</sp>
<!--"RR" Equal chance of fire and breach :P -->
   <fireChance>5</fireChance>
   <breachChance>5</breachChance>
        <stunChance>4</stunChance>
   <cooldown>40</cooldown>
   <power>1</power>
   <cost>0</cost>
   <bp>5</bp>
   <rarity>0</rarity>
  <!--"RR" New unique Slug Bomb animation.  Looks like a larger Anti-Bio bomb from CE.-->
   <image>ba_bomb_slug_artillery_hit</image>
   <explosion>explosion_random</explosion>
   <launchSounds>
      <sound>bombTeleport</sound>
   </launchSounds>
   <hitShipSounds>
      <sound>smallExplosion</sound>
   </hitShipSounds>
   <weaponArt>artillery_fed</weaponArt>
</weaponBlueprint>

You could make the Maelstrom bomb an artillery, or you could make it an actual weapon. ;) But as an artillery it is actually able to bomb 3 different rooms.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:52 am

No artillery for this ship. It's just going to be a bomb that tries to cause problems.

I've added the systems now, and here is an image showing how the doors work. I'll leave it up to other people to figure out how to read it. :P
I sure hope this thing doesn't crash, aside from the de-powered drones between rooms crash. :?
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:35 am

I wanted to make a ship just like that once, But I changed my mind.

It's fun, can't wait to use it. If you make a type B, make it like a maze and has doors everywhere leading to more doors and more doors.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Well, I just did a run on normal with Enigma and won. This counts as my second AE game that I've played. :P (My first run was a Dead-Tail loss at the end of Sector 6 when I ran out of fuel.) My first encounter was a pair of Mantis slavers on a slug ship, and I won a Mantis from that fight. Then my Slug and Mantis went all the way to Sector 7 and picked up Envoy. Not getting more crew was a little disappointing, but at least I still won. My custom bomb is quite strong, but I haven't made the graphics for it yet, so the mod won't be released until that is done.

The ship turned out to be glitchier then I expected. Turns out that the two rooms that you aren't supposed to access can actually be accessed through tricky means. Enemy boarders apparently don't care for the layout, as they will go between rooms that aren't supposed to be connected. Running past a room that is on fire or without oxygen will harm you even though you aren't supposed to be in that room. I'm not going to let any of this new knowledge change anything.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:02 pm

Still a good ship.

I struggle to get past sector one though even though I had real promissing stuff!..
it's just I let my self pride get in the way and those auto ships get me. :oops:
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:50 am

There is a station here that services the "Slingshot" Long-Range Beacon. They provide some free fuel to travelers when they are ready to leave to ensure they don't get stuck. It costs a lot of fuel to use the Slingshot, but it is the only way to get closer to the Federation Base.

CE has Infinite, and vanilla is left without. I've never seen the files in CE, and I don't remember the last time I saw stuff related to this in the CE thread, but I've tried to make something similar for vanilla.

I'm calling it FTL: Extended. I believe I'm done with it, and the "Inflation" add-on that increases costs, but I haven't fully tested it yet. Putting together the eventLists for the secret sector wasn't fun (so many files to look through), and I have no idea how (un)balanced it is.

The first thing I did was the exit beacons (FINISH_BEACON, FINISH_BEACON_NEBULA, FLEET_EASY_BEACON, FLEET_EASY_BEACON_DLC), then I tested those, so I know they work. Then I did everything else, but haven't had a chance to test them yet. I hope to release this thing soon.
Tweevle

Postby Tweevle » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:20 pm

I was inspired by the Detailed Crew Portrait Graphics Mod to make portraits based on my own interpretations of the races!

Zoltan (bureaucratic greys):

Slug (obese and eyeless):

Rock (ape-like):

Crystal (less devolved version of the rock):

Lanius (somewhat difficult to describe):

These probably aren't quite final, and I obviously still need to do the Mantis, Engi, and Humans. Ideally most of them will also have at least one accessory variant (e.g. a monk hood for the Rock).
Gyrfalcon

Postby Gyrfalcon » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:12 am

Tweevle wrote:I was inspired by the Detailed Crew Portrait Graphics Mod to make portraits based on my own interpretations of the races!

These probably aren't quite final, and I obviously still need to do the Mantis, Engi, and Humans. Ideally most of them will also have at least one accessory variant (e.g. a monk hood for the Rock).

WOW!
I mean no offense to Trilobite but I like these a LOT more than the originals! It may be the darker, more alien-esque art style :D Also I can never say no to accessories!

I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with these.