Previews from the impatient

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

Re: Previews from the impatient

Postby NarnKar » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:39 am

Don't have any images, but I'm working on a ship that combines Lockdown and Fire boarding for trapping enemy crews in fire. It's something along the lines of fire and ice, using both at the same time.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:44 am

Hey guys, I was making a ship ages ago doing an semi-unique idea for the game and such.
However I am hesitant to releasing it for download until I get a type B and C ship done (got the graphics, it's just now making the weapons and drones and such)

Should I release it anyway or not?
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:09 am

Iron Duke - Forged in the belief that power is but a number.

Some time ago, I was messing around with charge weapons, to see how it looked on the UI. I decided six charges was too much for the box, so this weapon goes to five. Otherwise, I would've made a 9-charge weapon. I guess it is called compromise, but not really since I still would've made this one too? :roll:

Plus the Anti-Bio Bomb, Mini Anti-Bio Beam, and Mini Fire Beam. I haven't started on the fire lasers yet, but that shouldn't be too difficult, if I don't let myself get distracted again. These bio weapons were made a few weeks ago, but then I didn't do the fire beam and heavy laser charger until now.
Image Image

Then there is the Shiva Missile, which I installed on an Engi ship. That sort of came out of nowhere while I was not working on these other weapons that I did have planned. :P

I make this post in the hopes that it will help stop me from procrastinating.

edit: Finished the fire lasers, so I can release version AE.3 of my weapon pack once I test the weapons.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:25 am

The Asylum

I've said in the past that I had no plans to make this ship when people suggested it, but now I felt like making it. The version I came up with does seem to have some issues. :lol:

I don't know if it will be any fun, though. Very little customization. So few targets, one of which is very vital. :? Perhaps I should fix that so it can fit two people in there for repairs?

Credit:
Tweevle's Type B ships
kartoFlane's help for shield position, which I double-checked on some screenshots. 110 was correct.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:54 am

Time to revive this thread...

Just a small ship mod I made for my own personal satisfaction. Everything except gibs are done. It'll probably be out next week or something.

Credit for the image goes to TaxiService--well, not the hull image, but the idea of combining several data elements into a single image like that.
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:19 am

i lol'd when you credited me. I don't remember if i have uploaded [a photoshop template for doing this kind of image] or not.
If I did and you used it: i'm glad!
If i didn't: i'm still glad that you used such a method to convey information about your ship! XD I think it's an efficient way to do it.

Anyway holy [excrements]!! Show us the rest of the hull, dude! What does the grand cannon do, by the way?
ImageImageImageImageImage
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:50 pm

@TaxiService: No, you never uploaded the .psd. I manually recreated the image by copying the image from the Moke thread and pasting in my own stuff, adjusting the frame borders as I needed. It took a surprisingly long amount of time! If you have the .psd I'd greatly love to have it.

Ship has been finished! View the thread here.

Here's the hull of the Lux Tempestas. She's a hue-shifted recolor+minor edit of the Skyburner, a ship made by the community of Battleships Forever.

Original Skyburner Thread

I believe the policy was "anyone can use these hulls as long as they give credit, as they are a community creation and belong to no one in particular"--so...yeah, here's credit given.

One of the bigger changes I made was splicing in the rear spines of the Arms Fort Asmodai, by SilverWingedSeraph of the Battleships Forever forums.

Arms Fort Asmodai. Large image; right click to view in full.

I tried to contact Seraph and see if he was okay with me using bits of it; however, I was unable to reach him. After some deliberation, I decided to go ahead with it, on the rationale that he never used it in one of his Battleships Forever mods (his computer crashed and all that remains of the Asmodai is the single image, with no data associated with it). However I'm quite aware that that's iffy territory, so if by some chance Seraph comes along and files a complaint I'd be happy to remove those spines.

The small changes I made were adding a black pixel outline around the hull, removing some of the fiery glows/flamethrowers, removing the back engine block and adding a more standard FTL engine in its place, and cleaning up some of the pixely/blurry artifacts around the edges, particularly around the spines. (Removing a white-outlined black spine from black space was an interesting experience, to say the least.) Oh, and of course, the recoloration.

The Grand Cannon is actually an edit of the Sweetwater Handcannon, a cannon from...Maplestory. Yeah...there's the weeaboo side of me showing...

The image itself was extracted using Mapleme.net, a Maplestory character creation/simulator thingy. It basically rips images from the game and lets you move them around yourself. It's the successor/competitor to Bannedstory, whose image creation was explicitly allowed by Maplestory proper, so I guess the cannon is fair usage??? Anyway there's credit where it's due. It's not like Maplestory would sue over this one free ship mod. I hope.

The Radiant Stormcannon, weapon strip. Abbreviated as Grand Cannon.

For comparison, the original Sweetwater Handcannon, shooty end facing left.

The problem I ran into when using that image is that the perspective is wonky. FTL weapons have their top edge over their bottom edge, whereas the original sprite has its bottom edge extend beyond the top edge. (Look at a vanilla missile launcher and you'll see what I mean.) So I flipped the cannon and removed some of the fiddly bits to make it look more like a beam projector.

As for what the actual weapon does, it fires a beam of white light that slowly sweeps across enemy ships. It's a 4 power 2 damage beam weapon with 22 second charge time. Although it's got a long trail and a 10 second stun, it's also really slow, and requires good shield suppression to use effectively.

Wow, damn near wrote an entire thread writeup on this ship already! Again, the only thing missing is gibs, but my computer's on the fritz so that may be a while coming. Fortunately I backed up all my data the day before the computer died; the trouble is just finding a good public computer to work from.

EDIT: Actually, one more thing!

You may notice pink stripes that say AIRLOCK on the rooms that are, well, airlocks. You still can't add floor art to empty rooms, so what I did is, I made the door image really big, so that the airlock strips would clip through the doors image and into their proper locations. Images are added top-left-corner to top-left-of-room, so it's pretty easy to visualize the other rooms you want to clip into.

A neat little idea, IMO, and something that could add more flavor to ships.
Last edited by NarnKar on Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:26 pm

NarnKar wrote:You may notice pink stripes that say AIRLOCK on the rooms that are, well, airlocks. You still can't add floor art to empty rooms, so what I did is, I made the door image really big, so that the airlock strips would clip through the doors image and into their proper locations. Images are added top-left-corner to top-left-of-room, so it's pretty easy to visualize the other rooms you want to clip into.

Yeah, that idea was mulled over while ago. One problem is that the image will disappear whenever you loose vision on the room the image is assign too. Small issue, but will matter when your sensors are out and you move crew through the rooms.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:01 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Yeah, that idea was mulled over while ago. One problem is that the image will disappear whenever you loose vision on the room the image is assign too. Small issue, but will matter when your sensors are out and you move crew through the rooms.

Fair enough, didn't know about that. It's just a minor cosmetic thing I guess.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:29 pm

NarnKar wrote:@TaxiService: No, you never uploaded the .psd. I manually recreated the image by copying the image from the Moke thread and pasting in my own stuff, adjusting the frame borders as I needed. It took a surprisingly long amount of time! If you have the .psd I'd greatly love to have it.

Here's the hull of the Lux Tempestas. She's a hue-shifted recolor+minor edit of the Skyburner, a ship made by the community of Battleships Forever.

Original Skyburner Thread

I believe the policy was "anyone can use these hulls as long as they give credit, as they are a community creation and belong to no one in particular"--so...yeah, here's credit given.

One of the bigger changes I made was splicing in the rear spines of the Arms Fort Asmodai, by SilverWingedSeraph of the Battleships Forever forums.

Arms Fort Asmodai. Large image; right click to view in full.

I tried to contact Seraph and see if he was okay with me using bits of it; however, I was unable to reach him. After some deliberation, I decided to go ahead with it, on the rationale that he never used it in one of his Battleships Forever mods (his computer crashed and all that remains of the Asmodai is the single image, with no data associated with it). However I'm quite aware that that's iffy territory, so if by some chance Seraph comes along and files a complaint I'd be happy to remove those spines.

The small changes I made were adding a black pixel outline around the hull, removing some of the fiery glows/flamethrowers, removing the back engine block and adding a more standard FTL engine in its place, and cleaning up some of the pixely/blurry artifacts around the edges, particularly around the spines. (Removing a white-outlined black spine from black space was an interesting experience, to say the least.) Oh, and of course, the recoloration.

The Grand Cannon is actually an edit of the Sweetwater Handcannon, a cannon from...Maplestory. Yeah...there's the weeaboo side of me showing...

The image itself was extracted using Mapleme.net, a Maplestory character creation/simulator thingy. It basically rips images from the game and lets you move them around yourself. It's the successor/competitor to Bannedstory, whose image creation was explicitly allowed by Maplestory proper, so I guess the cannon is fair usage??? Anyway there's credit where it's due. It's not like Maplestory would sue over this one free ship mod. I hope.

The Radiant Stormcannon, weapon strip. Abbreviated as Grand Cannon.

For comparison, the original Sweetwater Handcannon, shooty end facing left.

The problem I ran into when using that image is that the perspective is wonky. FTL weapons have their top edge over their bottom edge, whereas the original sprite has its bottom edge extend beyond the top edge. (Look at a vanilla missile launcher and you'll see what I mean.) So I flipped the cannon and removed some of the fiddly bits to make it look more like a beam projector.

As for what the actual weapon does, it fires a beam of white light that slowly sweeps across enemy ships. It's a 4 power 2 damage beam weapon with 22 second charge time. Although it's got a long trail and a 10 second stun, it's also really slow, and requires good shield suppression to use effectively.

Wow, damn near wrote an entire thread writeup on this ship already! Again, the only thing missing is gibs, but my computer's on the fritz so that may be a while coming. Fortunately I backed up all my data the day before the computer died; the trouble is just finding a good public computer to work from.

EDIT: Actually, one more thing!

You may notice pink stripes that say AIRLOCK on the rooms that are, well, airlocks. You still can't add floor art to empty rooms, so what I did is, I made the door image really big, so that the airlock strips would clip through the doors image and into their proper locations. Images are added top-left-corner to top-left-of-room, so it's pretty easy to visualize the other rooms you want to clip into.

A neat little idea, IMO, and something that could add more flavor to ships.

Dude, make your own game. this art is amazing.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.