Previews from the impatient

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
theDoomBox

Re: Previews from the impatient

Postby theDoomBox » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:20 pm

Wow, that's a fantastic flagship remake. The style looks familiar, is it modeled after old ship designs for the rebels?
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:42 pm

TaxiService wrote:Woah. That's the best federation flagship i remember seeing! I like a lot those curved parts and all the details you put into it. It looks to me like something aperture-science-ish..! Good job, man!! Keep it up! : )

Actually it isn't "Federation" so to say... it's Still rebel. It's in the original Rebel art style.

however even though SOME splicing was used. I did actually manually did most of it though as I can't splice the areas I wanted to.

(to be honest a federation flagship would be just the Federation Cruiser type A.)

Also thank you so much for the compliments TaxiService. I always think of you as amazing in FTL art and hearing this from you has left me in awe.

half;edit: (your post came before mine)

Yes DoomBox. This is the "original" rebel design.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:49 pm

TaxiService wrote:Woah. That's the best federation flagship i remember seeing! I like a lot those curved parts and all the details you put into it. It looks to me like something aperture-science-ish..! Good job, man!! Keep it up! : )

Even though it wasn't a "Federation Flagship" I am highly tempted at making the same thing but with "Federation" theme instead, if this sounds like a good idea. This was very time consuming due to the amount of custom work I did (and I work by pixel by pixel...). If anyone likes the sound of that then please speak up. Because if not then I will just go make a player Kestrel III:

After that I'll try to try my hand at 100% custom drawing ships by making the "Kestrel I" which is shown here.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:31 am

>Actually it isn't "Federation" so to say... it's Still rebel. It's in the original Rebel art style.
oh whoops!! I should've realised so. Their logo was there too. XD Alas, i've been misled by familiar colour schemes.

But yeah. I like the style you came up with. It feels more futuristic than vanilla spaceships!

>hearing this from you has left me in awe.
t-thanks dude but, really, I'm just a guy that spends way too much time tinkering with pixels.
If you spent as much time as I do messing around in an image-editing program, you'd become super good!!

In fact, yo! Consider acquiring a tablet, man! I think it's a super useful tool for sending inputs to your computer! It takes some time to get used to drawing with it, but in the end it lets you come close to draw exactly what you have in mind at a much faster rate! I use an old wacom CTE-650 (aka "bamboo fun" ¬_¬) that i got some years ago. If you are interested, i'd tell you to look for oldish models too. The recent ones cost as much as a kidney. D:

But anyway. To be honest, the thing i'd be more interested to see would be the Kestrel I. :P
I had never seen that drawing before! Those internal rooms are so beautiful. ;_; (what?)
I wonder what the developer had in mind at the time of that drawing.
ImageImageImageImageImage
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:50 am

http://imgur.com/a/5g6VF

This is a imgur album of FTL baby photos and comments on what was happening at the time and what is in the picture.

I believe it was mainlky getting ideas down but they had no idea what systems and stuff would there be and what they do and how you managed it.

Straight from the start they wanted a crew organisation and power management game. So they had a rough idea.

Anyway. I think we both spend a lot of time into the art. I think the main difference is that I do not have a tablet.
I might have also spent a lot more time at it then you.... That flagship took me quite a lot of time. (hence why I am not that eager to do a federation one xD) However the details do show when I make weapons which are smaller and thus easier to make very goodly.

ie: Image
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
theDoomBox

Postby theDoomBox » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:30 pm

Got tired of my other ship, started this baby a few days ago.

Still haven't decided exactly the style it'll play. I know it'll be a boarding ship but I still have to pick from a few ideas I've been tossing around. Might polish the hull a bit more as well.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:26 pm

Ooooh, that's a pretty hull, Doom!
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:02 am

Doodled some ships during downtime at work, ended up with a Zoltan-esque one I quite liked, figured I'd have a go at matching official art style.

Just roughed out for now, if you guys like it I'l have a go at cleaning it up to fit the game art.

Any feedback / suggestions welcome!
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:29 am

Looks really good, Gencool! It's got its own unique flair, but it also has the recognizable shapes of the other Zoltan ships!
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:41 pm

Wow, That looks pretty neat! I really want to see you develope it into a propper ship because we literally only got 1 zoltan ship in the FTL forum modding community that is lore friendly that is made so far (CE Zoltan station, all others are just mirrors or merges which isn't lore friendly)

I think developing it to be a bit larger could work but I think it looks great so far :D
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.