[MOD] BYOS v1.00 - Build your own Ship - Now With CE support

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
tazardar

[MOD] BYOS v1.00 - Build your own Ship - Now With CE support

Postby tazardar » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:05 am

Big Update : v0.20:
Now with all ships, CE and CE Infinite support, minor bugfixes

I can now easily create custom versions of this mod. If you want me to create a a version compatible with your mod, feel free to msg me.

Inspired by /u/Ymir_from_Saturn in this reddit thread, I've created a mod that lets you customize your ships equipment and crew on the first beacon. It's a very early beta build, so expect some bugs and crashes.

As of now, you can start with a stripped down version of any ship with no weapons or augs, only one crew and 350 scraps. On the first beacon, you can buy every vanilla/AE Weapon,Drone,Augment or Crew you want for the a balanced price.

You jump to a new starting beacon after each purchase, but no matter how many purchases you make, you still start in sector 1. This is done as a workaround for a problem with infinite dialogue loops.

For technical reasons, you have no sector choice on the first jump.

Download Vanilla AE:
BYOS v1.0
BYOS unlimited scrap v1.0

Captains Edition:
BYOS CE v1.0
BYOS CE unlimited scrap v1.0

Captains Edition with Infinite Addon:
BYOS CE Infinite Addon v1.0
BYOS CE Infinite Addon unlimited scrap v1.0

Install it with a mod manager like Slipstream Mod Manager v1.4

Customizing Systems is not in the mod yet, because I haven't found a way to add them via sector events. If any modder here has an idea on how to do that, please let me know.

If you want to help me with this mod, you can: Help me balance the equipment costs. You can download my list of all items with their costs here. Modify the costs the way you see fit and send the file back to me.

Planned for the next release:
-Bugfixing
-Balancing
-Systems
-Way down the line: Mod compatibility

Hope you like it.

Change log:

Code: Select all

v1.0
-First balancing
-Captain's Edition support
-Captain's Edition infinite support
-All Ships have been stripped an can now be used in this mod
-Starting budget raised from 250 to 350
-new "add 500 scrap" button in the ton-of-scrap version
-Bug fixing

v0.20
-All type A and B ships have been stripped and can now be used in this mod
-The Player no longer starts in the Crystal Homeworlds, but a Civilian Sector
-The link to the Crystal Homeworlds has been deactivated. You now unlock the Crystal ship at that point in the quest chain or if you reach the beacon with a crystal crew member.
-The Crystal Homeworlds are now a normal sector that can appear after sector 4
-Added the possibility to buy missiles and drone parts in stacks of 5.
-Fixed a bug where the defense drone menue was not displayed correctly (Thanks bassgoonist)

v0.10 EARLY TESTING
-Added all vanilla and AE Weapons, Drones, Augments and Crew.
-The Mod should now be somewhat playable. The Player starts in an easy Crystal Homeworld.
-"real" Crystal Homeworld doesn't work.
-no balancing yet.

v0.01 VERY EARLY TESTING:
-The Kestrel A is stripped to the bare minimum Systems and Crew
-The first Beacon lets you add up to 4 Weapons , 3 Drones and 1 Augment.
-No Systems and Crew yet

Reddit Threat: link
Last edited by tazardar on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
KloAl

Re: [MOD][WIP] BYOS v0.10 - Build your own Ship

Postby KloAl » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:28 am

As far as modifying systems there are those AE events that add to your reactor and such, hold on ill go find it.

Well I just went through all the event xmls of FTL searching for "spec" because i remember the event saying something like
"you ask them there specialty"

then they offer to upgrade your reactor, but i cannot seem to find this event anywhere in the files, so i guess that doesn't help you, at all.
phasers are red, disruptors are green, the Borg were better in TNG if you know what i mean.
FTLAutoMod AutoMagicly modding since Apr 17
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23878
tazardar

Postby tazardar » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:35 am

Yeah i found those. its

<upgrade amount="x" system="y">

The problem is that you can only upgrade existing systems with it. You can't upgrade a system you don't have. Upgrading existing systems doesn't help, since the player could just use the ship menue instead. Thanks, though.

TAz
KloAl

Postby KloAl » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:46 am

tazardar wrote:Yeah i found those. its

The problem is that you can only upgrade existing systems with it. You can't upgrade a system you don't have. Upgrading existing systems doesn't help, since the player could just use the ship menue instead. Thanks, though.

TAz

Then Most likely the only way to install new systems is buying them...which means showing the player random stores until one has what they need...which isn't a very good way to do it. Sorry no idea.
phasers are red, disruptors are green, the Borg were better in TNG if you know what i mean.
FTLAutoMod AutoMagicly modding since Apr 17
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23878
Jellosity

Postby Jellosity » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:18 am

KloAl wrote:
tazardar wrote:Yeah i found those. its

TAz

Then Most likely the only way to install new systems is buying them...which means showing the player random stores until one has what they need...which isn't a very good way to do it. Sorry no idea.

Couldn't you make it pop up a gui/store showing you all the systems and a place for weapons in the same gui? In AE and the regular game there can be 2 pages in a store. Another way could be listing them in a way like the Into Darkness mod does it.
THE HERMES CRUISER
tazardar

Postby tazardar » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:25 am

You can pop up a store, but there is no direct way to influence whats in it. Also, AFAIK only one of the 4 possible panels in a shop can be for systems. I could make the rarity of the systems very low, everything else high and put a lot of shops in the first sector. I'll keep that in mind as a last resort solution.

Edit: I've looked into the Descent in to Darkness mod before, but it doesn't seem to change the systems at all. Changing everything else isn't a problem.
ScubaSteve3465

Postby ScubaSteve3465 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:25 pm

How did the Descent into Darkness mod do it? It also lets you customize your ship at the start? Also you should consider making this compatible with CE if possible at a later time. I would say 90% of the community uses it. Check the Descent into Darkness mod though because i thought he let you choose your starting systems.
tazardar

Postby tazardar » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:19 pm

It doesn't. It only lets you select 2 weapons, a crew, a drone and a crew. It doesn't alter systems.

I'm thinking about adding CE support. A lot of my content is already generated by scripts, so it shouldn't be too hard. It's not possible to make it compatible with CE Infinite space, since it also uses the secret sector. Infinite loot would probably quite a challange. SO many sub-menues.

But for now i plan to strip all ships. I've already stripped all vanilla ships, but i can't find the C-type blueprints anywhere.
bassgoonist

Postby bassgoonist » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:37 pm

The defense drones page doesn't seem to work, it's the same as the personal drones page.

This mod is a lot of fun though, thank you!
tazardar

Postby tazardar » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:44 pm

You are right, thanks for that. I've a bigger update planned for later today. I'll fix it in that release.