[MOD][COMATOSE] Open Artillery v0.32

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Russian Rockman

Re: [MOD][WIP] Open Artillery v0.2

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:54 am

Ok here is a link to a version of Open Artillery containing custom room images for every ship. ;)
This took me a long time.

Please go through each of the .xml files and read all of the comments I made. They all start with "RR" so just search for that.

I wont reiterate everything here, but the important bits include.
  • A proposal to rebalance the generic artillery.
  • A proposal to turn the Zoltan beam into a 5 shield piercing beam, but one that only does system damage. (and to make the beam green instead of brown.)
  • Suggestions on what to do for the Stealth, Slug, and Crystal ship artillery.
  • Also, I think you should take some time now to place the additional weapon mounts on the actual ships, since the basic laser floating in space looks a bit weird.
I also made some small changes and fixed some typos, but I didn't change anything big without asking. Anything big I may have wanted to change is in <!-- comment brackets -->

Hope you enjoy this. :D I'm looking forward to a version that can be moved to "Working Mods" soon so it gets some more attention.

I think that once everything is done with the player ship artillery another awesome thing to do would be add artillery to some of the enemy ships. That would really mix up the combat and make things very interesting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/06wrcn9czh959cr/Open%20Arty%20v0.21.zip

EDIT: Just realized that you will have to change all of the artillery back to start availability =false. I changed them to true so I could see if the images looked right.
dmi3

Postby dmi3 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:22 pm

Russian Rockman wrote:Ok here is a link to a version of Open Artillery containing custom room images for every ship. ;)

Please go through each of the .xml files and read all of the comments I made. They all start with "RR" so just search for that.

• A proposal to turn the Zoltan beam into a 5 shield piercing beam, but one that only does system damage. (and to make the beam green instead of brown.)
  • Also, I think you should take some time now to place the additional weapon mounts on the actual ships, since the basic laser floating in space looks a bit weird.
I also made some small changes and fixed some typos, but I didn't change anything big without asking. Anything big I may have wanted to change is in <!-- comment brackets -->

Hope you enjoy this. :D I'm looking forward to a version that can be moved to "Working Mods" soon so it gets some more attention.

I think that once everything is done with the player ship artillery another awesome thing to do would be add artillery to some of the enemy ships. That would really mix up the combat and make things very interesting.

EDIT: Just realized that you will have to change all of the artillery back to start availability =false. I changed them to true so I could see if the images looked right.

Wow, this is a lot. I'll be gone for a week and a half soon, but I can probably put out an update including this first. Thank you. The basic laser thing was a joke, by the way. I tried to create a new blank weapon (because otherwise it looks weird with the Vindicator mod), but I did something wrong and it defaulted to that. Next update will remove it. I've also noticed some strangeness with the mounts. kestral.xml lists 8 of them, like this:

Code: Select all

<weaponMounts>
   <mount x="540" y="155" rotate="true" mirror="true" gib="6" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="540" y="262" rotate="true" mirror="false" gib="6" slide="down"/>
   <mount x="390" y="122" rotate="true" mirror="true" gib="5" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="390" y="294" rotate="true" mirror="false" gib="5" slide="down"/>
   <!-- artillery mounts testing -->
   <mount x="540" y="170" rotate="true" mirror="true" gib="6" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="540" y="274" rotate="true" mirror="false" gib="6" slide="down"/>
   <mount x="390" y="135" rotate="true" mirror="true" gib="5" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="390" y="309" rotate="true" mirror="false" gib="5" slide="down"/>
</weaponMounts>

It seems like artillery is firing from the fifth one, but I'm curious about the others. There's also a list of "bad combos" that I can't make any sense of:

<!--  Bad combos
   1+3; 1+5; 1+6; 1+3+5;  1+3+6;  1+5+6; 1+3+5+6;       
   any combo of numbers with 6 if there is not 5
   -->

Anyway, new update today or tomorrow.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:17 pm

dmi3 wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:Ok here is a link to a version of Open Artillery containing custom room images for every ship. ;)

Wow, this is a lot. I'll be gone for a week and a half soon, but I can probably put out an update including this first. Thank you. The basic laser thing was a joke, by the way. I tried to create a new blank weapon (because otherwise it looks weird with the Vindicator mod), but I did something wrong and it defaulted to that. Next update will remove it. I've also noticed some strangeness with the mounts. kestral.xml lists 8 of them, like this:

<weaponMounts>
   <mount x="540" y="155" rotate="true" mirror="true" gib="6" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="540" y="262" rotate="true" mirror="false" gib="6" slide="down"/>
   <mount x="390" y="122" rotate="true" mirror="true" gib="5" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="390" y="294" rotate="true" mirror="false" gib="5" slide="down"/>
   <!-- artillery mounts testing -->
   <mount x="540" y="170" rotate="true" mirror="true" gib="6" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="540" y="274" rotate="true" mirror="false" gib="6" slide="down"/>
   <mount x="390" y="135" rotate="true" mirror="true" gib="5" slide="up"/>
   <mount x="390" y="309" rotate="true" mirror="false" gib="5" slide="down"/>
</weaponMounts>

It seems like artillery is firing from the fifth one, but I'm curious about the others. There's also a list of "bad combos" that I can't make any sense of:

<!--  Bad combos
   1+3; 1+5; 1+6; 1+3+5;  1+3+6;  1+5+6; 1+3+5+6;       
   any combo of numbers with 6 if there is not 5
   -->

Anyway, new update today or tomorrow.

The others also fire artillery if you add more than 1 artillery system.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:41 pm

@dalolorn
Will you ever stop doing that, dalolorn? :roll: There's a "Send Reply" button at the bottom left corner of the page, in case you haven't noticed it, that doesn't quote anything.

@dmi3
Artillery always uses the 5th weapon mount, and, as dalolorn succinctly said, further artillery systems use the next mounts. No idea how that works with more than 4 weapon slots, though.

Regarding the bad combos, I haven't figured that out either... There doesn't seem to be anything these numbers relate to. Number of weapon mounts? Number of gibs? The number of the gib to which the weapon mount is linked? It doesn't really make any sense to me.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:32 am

kartoFlane wrote:@dalolorn
Will you ever stop doing that, dalolorn? :roll: There's a "Send Reply" button at the bottom left corner of the page, in case you haven't noticed it, that doesn't quote anything.

PostReply, actually. I do sometimes use it, you know. :)

Edit: More like POSTREPLY, now that I look at it more closely...
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:31 am

Herp derp. I finally figured out what the Stealth ship's artillery should be. CLOAKED MISSILES!!! Like the ones in the Captain's Edition, which can't be shot down by anything. I feel like it should be 3 missiles (1 damage) just because I don't want it to be as powerful as the FED Cruiser artillery.

The regular laser artillery should probably just be 5 lasers that do 1 damage each (maybe with extra damage on system less rooms) but I still feel like it is kind of really powerful still. But then there is the fact that some of the lasers can miss in the late game, but you could volley your weapons with the laser artillery. But early in the game when the enemy has lower evasion and 2-3 shields it's pretty strong even for costing around 120-150 scrap. Again, I just don't want it to be a weapon you can rely on to destroy the entire boss.

And finally the slug weapon should teleport about 5 bombs (which, because it's artillery, will all hit different rooms). They could do (?) system damage, 1 crew damage, %50 breach chance, %50 fire bomb, & 5 seconds of stun. Cluster Bomb Artillery!!! That will do a whole variety of every dirty thing you can imagine without being too powerful. If the enemy used this on me I would egg really freaking annoyed.

Also, I don't remember how long the mantis artillery stuns the enemy crew. I feel like it should be at least 10 seconds because of the fact that it is kind of a one-off before boarding, considering you don't want to use it after you've boarded or it could stun your own crew. Unless the ion projectiles stack for 5 damage each. Anyway, I line the way those look. ;)

And finally, the Crystal artillery should either be A.) 5 non shield-piercing Crystal projectiles that do 1 damage each and lock down rooms OR B.) 3 shield-piercing Crystal projectiles that do the same thing. They could also cause breaches too perhaps. They're basically a better version of the laser artillery, but they're Crystal weapons so of course they're going to be better...

So there we go. 9 completely brand new artillery weapons unique to each ship. :D
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:15 am

Ohman I want this mod!

With the Mantis stun bombs; Maybe have them also heal your crew? Gives you a bit more reason to use them post-boarding, since you could effectively pause a battle and heal your doodz...
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:00 pm

That's a pretty good idea Gencool. I was thinking the Crystal artillery should probably do something similar since most people will probably be boarding with Crystals. Don't want it to be like Crystal Vengeance... That actually kills your own boarding crew...
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:55 pm

Russian Rockman wrote:CLOAKED MISSILES!!! Like the ones in the Captain's Edition, which can't be shot down by anything.

Sorry for the off-topic, but how is this even possible? I can't see any way to prevent Defense II drones from firing at everything.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
dmi3

Postby dmi3 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:40 pm

You're supposed to get your crew off the ship before using the mantis artillery, but it makes sense to have a little bit of healing as a consolation prize. Stealth missiles seem like a good idea too. There still aren't any missile weapons.

So I incorporated most of Russian Rockman's suggestions and in the process broke something pretty badly. FTL has been crashing with this version every time I click "new game". I won't be able to work on it for a while, but I'm uploading it on the off chance that someone else can figure out the problem and fix it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/00lxcpq5l184pq7/Open%20Arty%20v0.3.zip