FTL Multispace

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Dragonfire

Re: FTL Multispace

Postby Dragonfire » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:25 am

Hello,
I loved the game.
A Multiplayer Mod is a cool idea, but not sure if it is only a *mod*.
It is much work.
Can you share the code on github?
Build software better, together ;)
MutilatedMelon

Postby MutilatedMelon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:53 pm

Hi, I think multiplayer would be a great idea, and have been hoping for something to pop up when I saw this.
I think trading or fighting the other ship would be really cool. You could be able to offer up surrender or type something to the other player, much like the events that already happen.
Also:
Are there any new developments? Has it been shelved or will it still happen?
I saw people talking about working on it. I don't have the ability to do so, but allowing others to work on it would probably help a LOT. Has this been done? Thanks.
CoryStarkiller

Postby CoryStarkiller » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:25 am

What a great idea.

I hope it eventually becomes compatible with any mod, assuming both people have them installed.
kralosek

Postby kralosek » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:17 pm

I'm gonna double post this... I don't know which tread will be more active

Simultaneous fights. all players jump systems at the same time:

I just want to say this is a beautiful idea and hope you are still working on it!!

That being said, I think the core game mode should be simultaneous play, but when you jump between systems it almost becomes turn-based. So, everyone has to complete what they want to do in one system and everyone clicks "ready to jump" before anyone moves or waits. The team could keep a co-op fleet together for battles like the 5 on 5s that others described, but there could also be quests and reasons to split up to do simultaneous missions. This system would be both co-op- and pvp- friendly. The only flaw would be waiting time in "store" locations.

I'm not sure if mass battles should be 1 on 1 with the same text FTL has about "jump away before other ships show up!". If you (or the computer) decided not to jump away, only then would it become 2v1.The flavor text seems to read that each beacon point is huge, like a solar system. It would make sense for 5v5 battles to start spread out.

Another option would be to add some pilot control options:
- "close distance with a 2nd ship"
- "close distance with a friendly ship"
- "keep away from other ships"
- "try to disengage"
These would reduce your Evade Percentage. The flight path would become much more linear and so you would be an easier target. "close distance" would disengage from current target unless they're actively trying to stay with you.

Throw on some sensor readings for closest secondary target:
- "none in system"
- "in system" (would give you time to loot)
- "in sensor range" (would not give you time to fully loot. They could blow up your first kill if they turn their back to you)
- "in missiles range" (or lasers? drones? I don't know which one would be farthest reaching)
- "in full combat range!"
Your pilot control options would dictate distance from opponents.

-K.

TL/DR: simultaneous fights. all players jump systems at the same time.
mutecebu

Postby mutecebu » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:30 pm

Just want to jump in and say:
This sounds fairly ambitious, and more-than-fairly awesome. If you pulled it off I would be willing to play $10 for such a thing. Good luck!
Azazel240

Postby Azazel240 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:23 am

Hello I was wondering if you needed any help on this project i may be of assistance but i am not the best with network coding even though i have found i could pick things up rather quickly please reply to me if i could help you with programming or anything along those lines thank you - Azazel240
mracefish

Postby mracefish » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:21 am

I like the PvP idea, and so far this is what I have in my head:
So it starts off with two player controlled ships at other ends of a singular map, or multiple sectors dependant on how long you want the game to be, and you can only take jumps at the same time (kind of like the final boss battle.) and you would be given a marker to where the other player is. In this respect, the aim would be to get scrap, upgrade, and kill each other. Another way around this would be to make one person the boss, and hence they have to destroy a base while the other defends, but you could still have them stating in different sectors.
Alternatively, you could make it so that you were blind and would only run into each other by chance.
(if you could incorporate this in anyway that would be cool)
EthanBeta2

Postby EthanBeta2 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:06 pm

Blooper, aka Waffle, please reply. Either email me at EthanBeta2@gmail.com or accept my friend request on steam and we can talk there. This is... fairly important. Lets just say I am a game developer and the plans for one is similar to Multispace, but not really FTL related.
NintendoFan

Postby NintendoFan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:52 am

OK, I have been not so active since my last post here...

Anyway, Blooperluigi, looks like you've made a lot of progress since I last checked this topic. Best of luck.
coolskull0071

Postby coolskull0071 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:54 am

Any news on it? would love to have this made.