Something to generate floor 'n' shield images and all that!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
wolfboyft

Something to generate floor 'n' shield images and all that!

Postby wolfboyft » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:29 pm

I'm in the wrong spot, aren't I.

Anyway, what we really need is something that can generate a shield and floor image using the EXACT rules of in-game player ships, like if you take a look at the floor image around airlock doors.

Simply import a ship, and the perfect floor image for your rooms and doors is created, and if you choose the style, then the perfect shield image for your ship's hull size is created.

Also, can anyone tell me what I would use to edit the hardcoding in a basic enemy ship file to apply a shield image? I use superliminal.

Thank you.
Metzelmax

Re: Something to generate floor 'n' shield images and all th

Postby Metzelmax » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:12 pm

gimp
Here is the Stuff I made:
ImageImageImageImage
And stuff is always better than no stuff, right?
wolfboyft

Postby wolfboyft » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:41 pm

Metzelmax wrote:gimp

:roll:
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:49 pm

No, seriously, it is the right answer. Just do it.

I'm not sure how much i'd respect and care for floor n shield images and all that if it were effortless to make. Floor plans are tedious to make but having templates helps. In the end a mod is a personal creation and represents the thought process and design of it's creator. Push-button garbage is completely uninteresting and has no chance of any creative result. We have seen some very unusual and original floors, cloaks and shields, automation doesn't allow for that.

At worst a floor plan image will take a few hours to make including all the little annoyances, though normally it should be done in about 30 or so minutes, depending how far along you are with the ship design and how likely you are to change things. If the result is really good it's worth it putting even more effort into it.

No disrespect to you mate, just do it.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
wolfboyft

Postby wolfboyft » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:27 am

UltraMantis wrote:No, seriously, it is the right answer. Just do it.

I'm not sure how much i'd respect and care for floor n shield images and all that if it were effortless to make. Floor plans are tedious to make but having templates helps. In the end a mod is a personal creation and represents the thought process and design of it's creator. Push-button garbage is completely uninteresting and has no chance of any creative result. We have seen some very unusual and original floors, cloaks and shields, automation doesn't allow for that.

At worst a floor plan image will take a few hours to make including all the little annoyances, though normally it should be done in about 30 or so minutes, depending how far along you are with the ship design and how likely you are to change things. If the result is really good it's worth it putting even more effort into it.

No disrespect to you mate, just do it.

NO, I obey the vanilla rules.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:13 am

If you want to be so vanilla then do it the same way the devs do it.

A) go to an art program right now and make your floor image

B) do what they did for enemies, they got none.

If you want to be so robotic in your proses then you should make the program, not trying to be insult you,
but shields is way to easy and there is no firm rules for shields, on some ships it clicks through the hull image, on some ships it barely touches the room itself, some ships they got huge wide area, some ships got there shields wider / longer then needed. etc :roll:
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:12 pm

Ah but defense drones are less effective the larger the shield ellipse is. So a larger shield is a way of slightly hurting the ship and nerfing it.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.