[Tool] ftldat r7

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
marinepower

Re: [Modding] Packing and unpacking data.dat and resource.da

Postby marinepower » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:10 am

Jessen

Postby Jessen » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:07 am

i just found us another methood for crystal cruiser aquisition, the stasis pod itself is classed as an augmentation. plop that down in a ship (say maybe make it a piece of tech leftover in a rock ship) and it'll act as if you found it among the asteroids. and it'll let you get the ship if you can make it to the rock homeworld after awakening it in one of the Zoltan sectors.
cookie42

Postby cookie42 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:51 am

Jessen wrote:for me, i want to figure out how to mod the events a bit so i can unlock the ships, i've been struggling to find any sign of the crystal cruiser's events. I want to make it maybe a little easier somehow.

If you want a really easy way to unlock it, mod the tutorial to call the unlock ship event. Works for all ships.

Just add <unlockShip id="x">Your text here</unlockShip> (Where x is the ship id from 0 to 8) between <event> </event> tags in the tutorial, then load the tutorial, boom your ships unlocked. The first one "<text>The Federation is currently being torn apart by vicious rebels. Your ship is carrying data vital to the defense of the Federation.</text>" should do. But if you're modifying the data.dat directly rather than unpacking and repacking it, it's best to use a hex editor as most txt readers will screw up the file, oh and keep it EXACTLY the same size.

Or just mod the prof.sav directly.
Jessen

Postby Jessen » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:07 am

i dont know how to edit that save file.

meanwhile, unlocking them via adding the unlock section to the tutorial...only lasts for the one time the game is up. once its closed, its gone.
cookie42

Postby cookie42 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:10 am

Jessen wrote:i dont know how to edit that save file.

meanwhile, unlocking them via adding the unlock section to the tutorial...only lasts for the one time the game is up. once its closed, its gone.

Hmm? Well it shouldn't. It should be updating your savegame when you do it. It worked for me when I was struggling to get the Crystal ship ( I got it properly later, but damn it's frustating).

Edit:Maybe try editing a different event in the tutorial? I can't remember which one I used.

Edit again: I just tested, you have to play the ship you unlock at least once for the savegame to be created with it.
FreefallGeek

Postby FreefallGeek » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:34 am

From what I can tell, the races seem to be hard coded in the application and not accessible via the XML. Is this correct? Is that going to prevent us from adding new races or can anyone think of a way to circumvent that?
cookie42

Postby cookie42 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:37 am

FreefallGeek wrote:From what I can tell, the races seem to be hard coded in the application and not accessible via the XML. Is this correct? Is that going to prevent us from adding new races or can anyone think of a way to circumvent that?

That's what I see as well, we can mod the existing races/ships however we like, but adding a new race/ship may not be possible atm.
fall_ark

Postby fall_ark » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:44 am

cookie42 wrote:
FreefallGeek wrote:From what I can tell, the races seem to be hard coded in the application and not accessible via the XML. Is this correct? Is that going to prevent us from adding new races or can anyone think of a way to circumvent that?

That's what I see as well, we can mod the existing races/ships however we like, but adding a new race/ship may not be possible atm.

I don't see a way to mod the existing races...
Ghost race is underused in the current game (and really, they only have 50 hp so aren't that much of a threat anyway). If there's a way mod existing races, ghost would be a good place for an alternative/new race.
You can post images in signature?
FreefallGeek

Postby FreefallGeek » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:45 am

Aaaactually. It looks like there are race definitions inside blueprints.xml. I can't see how, yet, it links with the race animations but it may not be entirely out of the question just yet. :)
fall_ark

Postby fall_ark » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:48 am

FreefallGeek wrote:Aaaactually. It looks like there are race definitions inside blueprints.xml. I can't see how, yet, it links with the race animations but it may not be entirely out of the question just yet. :)

I'm pretty sure those only affect shop rarity and hiring price. Almost all graphics are modable in the animations section though.
You can post images in signature?