[Tool] ftldat r7

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
StealthCl0wn

Re: [Modding] Packing and unpacking data.dat and resource.da

Postby StealthCl0wn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:43 pm

Kronikarz wrote:I've made a small windows tool that unpacks/repacks the FTL data files. I'm planning to add some more modding features (like actual game data editing) in the future, but for now it's just a simple interface for un/repacking the .dat files. Windows only I'm afraid (requires latest .NET).

Binaries: http://ghassan.pl/FTLEditor/FTLEditor.zip
Source: http://ghassan.pl/FTLEditor/FTLEditorSrc.zip

I go to "pack folder" and it doesn't seem to work.
Kronikarz

Postby Kronikarz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:16 pm

StealthCl0wn wrote:I go to "pack folder" and it doesn't seem to work.

"doesn't seem to work" doesn't really help me to pinpoint the problem. Please explain what you are doing, what happens when you do it, and what you believe is supposed to happen.
StealthCl0wn

Postby StealthCl0wn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Alrighty.

I load the .dat, extract all files to a folder named "data", edit files as needed, then I click "pack folder" and it gives the very bland "enter directory". So I navigate to "data" again, hit "ok", then pack files into the .dat folder on the desktop, and it tells me it's being used by another process.
Kronikarz

Postby Kronikarz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:36 pm

The editor keeps the source .dat file open, so it won't be able to overwrite it - try saving to another .dat file (or running the editor again without opening the .dat file you wish to overwrite).
StealthCl0wn

Postby StealthCl0wn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Kronikarz wrote:The editor keeps the source .dat file open, so it won't be able to overwrite it - try saving to another .dat file (or running the editor again without opening the .dat file you wish to overwrite).

I've done that and it packed successfully but the resulting .dat is several KB smaller (903kb compared to 912kb) than the original.

What do?
Kronikarz

Postby Kronikarz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:25 pm

From what I've tested the smaller file should still work. The original file (it's index to be precise) was padded for some reason (but the resources.dat files doesn't have that padding, so I'm guessing it's optional).
StealthCl0wn

Postby StealthCl0wn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:30 pm

Tried it, got an error message stating this.

safetypigeon

Postby safetypigeon » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Yeah I get the same problem, and I get a slightly different crash at startup with the other cmd packer.
Not only that, it also crashes if I just open up the data.dat in notepad, and then save it in exactly the same state. Any form of editing the data file makes the game crash. Not that I know much about this sort of thing, but that doesn't seem right to me.
Kronikarz

Postby Kronikarz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:59 pm

I don't seem to be having any problems myself (neither on the Steam or the standalone version of the game files). Saving the file in notepad could potentially break the file (change line endings, etc.) but using the editor or the python packer should work.

Are you sure you have 2 files named "data.dat" and "resource.dat" in the "resources" directory?
StealthCl0wn

Postby StealthCl0wn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Ah yes, I tried using the editor to pack it but again, the file gave me that error. Same with notepad. Same with the python packer... Only "mod" I've got to work so far is CaptainShooby's no rebel mod.