[Tool] ftldat r7

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
alexanderpas

Re: [Modding] Packing and unpacking data.dat and resource.da

Postby alexanderpas » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:12 pm

StealthCl0wn wrote:Okay so I've been editing the values for things in data.dat but they're not displaying in game.

Any help?

stupid question, but...

did you re-pack the data files?
Zuriki

Postby Zuriki » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Did you repack after you modified them?
StealthCl0wn

Postby StealthCl0wn » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:48 pm

I modified the .dat file *directly*.

In word.

...I still have to re-pack, don't I?
InnocentSam

Postby InnocentSam » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:52 pm

Just in case other people have the same problem I did, if the unpacker/repacker says it done the job but nothing happened, run cmd in administrator mode and navigate to the resources folder.
StealthCl0wn

Postby StealthCl0wn » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:06 pm

Tried repacking, that also did not work as the files I get from an unpacking aren't viewable/useful.

All this just to try and make the starting laser for the Kestrel fire 5, 4 damage shots
Zuriki

Postby Zuriki » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:14 pm

StealthCl0wn wrote:In word.

How is the game not crashing? Usually word will screw up any document that, well, isn't a regular document.
StealthCl0wn

Postby StealthCl0wn » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Zuriki wrote:
StealthCl0wn wrote:In word.

How is the game not crashing? Usually word will screw up any document that, well, isn't a regular document.

I meant "notepad", I'm distracted today. But yeah, edited values in notepad, saved, booted up FTL, no changes, no crash, nothing.
Raide

Postby Raide » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:13 am

Really looking forward to be able to mod randomly-generated character portrait, because faces of characters in such intense, permadeath game really can enhance the drama and attract more audience. Too bad I can't do any programming, only art. I'll definitely watch this space closely ;)
Jessen

Postby Jessen » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:47 am

for me, i want to figure out how to mod the events a bit so i can unlock the ships, i've been struggling to find any sign of the crystal cruiser's events. I want to make it maybe a little easier somehow.
fall_ark

Postby fall_ark » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:09 am

Jessen wrote:for me, i want to figure out how to mod the events a bit so i can unlock the ships, i've been struggling to find any sign of the crystal cruiser's events. I want to make it maybe a little easier somehow.

Since most of the three events are randomly spawned, there isn't much you can do to up their happenstance without screwing with other events too much (like editing the eventlist).

For the first event, search
<eventList name="ASTEROID_DERELICT_SHIP_SEARCH">

Under that line are three <events></events>, only one of which will give you the Stasis Pod. Simply delete the other two will make it a guaranteed result. Of course this is only making the default option the same as the Rock Ship blue option.

For the second event, search
<event name="ZOLTAN_CREW_STUDY" min="1" max="1"/>

These are guaranteed spawns in Zoltan sectors. Change the min max number to make them happen more often. Remember there are two lines for the two Zoltan sectors.

The quest engine isn't really suit for this questline (AFAIK you can only spawn questmarks for events that are not originally on the map, which all three Crystal unlock events are). You can give it a try but there's no guarantee. Also this will definitely break immersion because you can't add questmarks to a specific sector.
You can post images in signature?