Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
williamcll

Re: OverdriveGDX

Postby williamcll » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:05 am

So how do I test it out?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:23 pm

You'd have to download the source code from Github, and compile it using Maven. Then you'd have to use the packer utility to convert FTL's resources to Overdrive's format, and follow the rest of instructions to wire it up.
Then you'd be able to run the Overdrive proper.

That said, there's nothing to test. At the moment it's just a couple of images/animations displayed on the screen, with almost no way to interact with them. This project has been abandoned for quite some time.

To satisfy your curiosity, here's what it looks like...
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:38 pm

Darn. I really wanted to use this for a mod I was working on... is there any chance that it could be revived?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:55 pm

So, uh, I'm having a somewhat lazy semester at university, and I found myself spending some of the free time hammering at Overdrive's code.

Over the last month I ended up implementing primitive pathfinding for crew, working incidents (ie. FTL events) with plot branches (choices), consequences, and branch criteria, as well as basic client-server connection which allows two or more instances of the game to communicate with each other, with one instance acting as the server (it's completely abhorrent, but at least works for testing purposes).
Also some other things, like doors, non-rectangular rooms, preliminary scripting support.

A screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/K5RsUsv.png

The repo where I'm undoing Vhati's work with my shoddy code: https://github.com/kartoFlane/OverdriveGDX
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:02 pm

kartoFlane wrote:I'm undoing Vhati's work with my shoddy code

Teehee.
*Skims the committed changes.*

Well done!

The scale of the code still makes my brain hurt - as it did when I last touched it - but it looks like you're pressing onward in reasonable directions.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:23 pm

Vhati wrote:The scale of the code still makes my brain hurt - as it did when I last touched it - but it looks like you're pressing onward in reasonable directions.

Hah, thanks -- it had taken me quite a while to wrap my head around the codebase. Though I mostly hack together stuff that seems interesting at the time.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue May 12, 2015 8:50 pm

I've been a bit busy, but I've been working on this on and off.

For now, I've added teleport pads that are intended to replace linked doors, allowing crew to move between rooms that are not adjacent to each other.

I've also started working on systems, and implemented the reactor/power HUD, with graphics reworked to be more modular than the original FTL ones, which rely on clipping instead. The wires extend as more power bars/systems are added, so it's possible to support system HUDs of any size (within reason). One thing I have in mind is foldable system HUDs, so that you can, for example, hide the drone system when you don't need it.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/eMgOkJY.png
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Wed May 13, 2015 5:06 am

Damn, looking good. Any chance we could get a shot of those teleport pads, or are they not working yet?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed May 13, 2015 9:34 am

They already work -- that's how the crewmember got to the oddly-shaped room :) The pathing is still a bit buggy, and needs to be tweaked, but that's easy to fix, just requires time to sit down and figure out what's wrong.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed May 20, 2015 12:51 pm

http://i.imgur.com/iXVKmZf.png

More progress, although it's mostly just simple UI work... But progress nonetheless.
Ended up fleshing out the system HUD a bit more, implemented directing power to/from systems, ion locking mechanism + graphical representation thereof, and buttons for systems. Currently I'm working on cooldown for the buttons, for cloaking. Weapon/drone systems are going to be next. Working on drag & drop for those is going to be "fun"...

Anyhow, the systems that you see in the image are fully defined via scripts/external files, and are not hardcoded at all (save for the shield system, but that's temporary), though they are still limited in what they can do by what I implement in the game code (eg. right now you can't make a completely custom system HUD, you have to use the building blocks I define, like the system icon, power bars and buttons)

I'm still figuring out how much stuff should be a core game mechanic vs moddable functionality -- for example, right now shield is a "core game mechanic", the game handles it completely on its own. The only thing the shield system does is add a little script that changes the ship's max shield limit when power is added to it.

Edit Pfft, I just noticed I linked the wrong image. Updated.