Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
CurseDC

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby CurseDC » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:45 pm

How do you get GIMP images onto Superluminal2? I can't seem to change the extension to .png
Help!
Please!
fdagpigj

Postby fdagpigj » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:00 pm

CurseDC wrote:How do you get GIMP images onto Superluminal2? I can't seem to change the extension to .png
Help!
Please!

In GIMP, use Export As (shortcut Shift+Ctrl+E) instead of Save As (shortcut Shift+Ctrl+S)
CurseDC

Postby CurseDC » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:02 am

fdagpigj wrote:
CurseDC wrote:How do you get GIMP images onto Superluminal2? I can't seem to change the extension to .png
Help!
Please!

In GIMP, use Export As (shortcut Shift+Ctrl+E) instead of Save As (shortcut Shift+Ctrl+S)

Thanks!
PR0T05T33L

Postby PR0T05T33L » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Is there an easy way to adjust a system's maximum power on a specific ship? For instance, limiting the artillery to a maximum 2 bars of power? Is it possible to do this within Superluminal?
ImageImageImageImageImage
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:04 pm

PR0T05T33L wrote:Is there an easy way to adjust a system's maximum power on a specific ship? For instance, limiting the artillery to a maximum 2 bars of power?

(.ftl files are .zip files in disguise, renaming and extracting them ends up with a folder called "data", and inside this folder you'll find the "blueprints.xml.append" file, which is probably the file the ship is in)
yes, if you open the "blueprints.xml.append" xml data file, you can add a max attribute to the <artillery> tag

for example, the artillery on the fed cruiser:

Code: Select all

(shortened to fit)
<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_FED" layout="fed_cruiser" img="fed_cruiser">
   <class>Federation Cruiser</class>
   <name>The Osprey</name>
   <unlock>There have been rumors of advanced ship construction in the Rebel Stronghold...</unlock>
   <desc>This ship features the latest in Federation technology: an advanced beam weapon that pierces through shields.</desc>
   <systemList>
      <artillery power="1" room="6" weapon="ARTILLERY_FED"/>
   </systemList>
</shipBlueprint>

the line

<artillery power="1" room="6" weapon="ARTILLERY_FED"/>

can be changed to

<artillery power="1" max="2" room="6" weapon="ARTILLERY_FED"/>

and that should limit the max the system can go. you can probably do this for any system

if that was too quick I'll gladly break it down further
PR0T05T33L wrote:Is it possible to do this within Superluminal?

I don't see any such option in Superluminal though
PR0T05T33L

Postby PR0T05T33L » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:53 am

Well, I found the artillery weapon in that file, so that's good. I had to check the dlcBlueprintsOverwrite file to find the actual ship though. I guess it's because it was a Type C. Thanks for the help!

And now the console glow images won't stay where I put them in Superluminal and the floor image has shifted randomly. Did I do something wrong? I've tried changing the console image to a different image entirely and it changed back to the original image in the same weird place. I've tried making the changes and adding a room, 'cause I thought that would help, but the only change that stayed was the new room. Am I missing something?

EDIT: I've changed the room image and the console glow is still off, but at the very least, it's only two pixels off to the side as opposed to being halfway across the room. I'd really like to fix this up completely though.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Last edited by PR0T05T33L on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
BishopAdams

Postby BishopAdams » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:04 pm

hey im fairly new to the modding scene, and ive encountered an error i cant troubleshoot.

im making a custom ship, im fully comfortable with the slipstream mod manager and superluminal and just now started dabbling with .xml.append editing. this is the first ship im making where i have edited the .xml file and although the ship shows up in game the game will crash if i try to start a run with the modded ship.

for reference:
i edited ships power to be 66
i edited drone power to be 14
everything else was achieved with the superluminal editor which has not yet failed to make a functional ship for me
PR0T05T33L

Postby PR0T05T33L » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:15 pm

I've been working on my own ship mod with a weapon borrowed from a weapons pack. I've converted it in to a burst artillery laser and it seems to be working alright, but there's something I'd like to try to fix before I try to share this mod.

This weapon has three barrels and fires three lasers, but the lasers all seem to come from the first barrel. Is there a way to set up three separate firing points on a weapon? And just in case I need to, is there a way to change the amount of time between each shot?

EDIT: I've also noticed the firing animation loops each time the weapon fires, so each barrel pulls back three times. Is there a way to set up the firing animation so it'll play five frames between the first shot being fired and the second shot being fired, then play five different frames between the second and third shots, then the last five frames while the third shot is being fired? Alternatively, should I convert the weapon in to a shotgun and how would I go about doing that?
Last edited by PR0T05T33L on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:54 pm

BishopAdams wrote:hey im fairly new to the modding scene, and ive encountered an error i cant troubleshoot.

im making a custom ship, im fully comfortable with the slipstream mod manager and superluminal and just now started dabbling with .xml.append editing. this is the first ship im making where i have edited the .xml file and although the ship shows up in game the game will crash if i try to start a run with the modded ship.

for reference:
i edited ships power to be 66
i edited drone power to be 14
everything else was achieved with the superluminal editor which has not yet failed to make a functional ship for me

Pretty sure it's the power, I think 60 is max but even then ships crash in ion storms or if a battery is activated. Had this file with 56 power for all ships and changing all the storms into nebulas for someone in some old thread.. Here.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/fe5ckad1o5bwv11/high%20power%20patch.ftl?dl=0. If not maybe try 30-40.

If it still doesn't work it might be drones, too, never tried it that way.
BishopAdams

Postby BishopAdams » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:58 pm

Pretty sure it's the power, I think 60 is max but even then ships crash in ion storms or if a battery is activated. Had this file with 56 power for all ships and changing all the storms into nebulas for someone in some old thread.. Here.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/fe5ckad1o5bwv11/high%20power%20patch.ftl?dl=0. If not maybe try 30-40.

If it still doesn't work it might be drones, too, never tried it that way.

thanks man!