Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
elijahdb

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby elijahdb » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:12 pm

I got the weapon working fine, except that the image of the weapon in the game is replaced by the basic laser (I know this takes place if something is wrong). What do I do to fix this? And also, how does the glow for the weapon's chaining up work? Is there something different that I do?

Here's the link again to the XML code. Please tell me anything I've gotten wrong.

http://www.dreniarb.com/elijah/Molok%20Beam.zip
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.
gentasaurus

Postby gentasaurus » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:13 pm

elijahdb wrote:I got the weapon working fine, except that the image of the weapon in the game is replaced by the basic laser (I know this takes place if something is wrong). What do I do to fix this? And also, how does the glow for the weapon's chaining up work? Is there something different that I do?

Code: Select all

<weaponArt>molok_beam_1_strip9</weaponArt>

should just be

<weaponArt>molok_beam_1</weaponArt>

to match the animation name in your animations file.

Also, if you want the charge glow, you change your weaponAnim to this:

<weaponAnim name="molok_beam_1">
   <sheet>molok_beam_1_strip9</sheet>
   <desc length="9" x="0" y="0"/>
   <chargedFrame>1</chargedFrame>
   <fireFrame>2</fireFrame>
   <firePoint  x="18" y="28"/>
   <mountPoint x="3" y="30"/>
   <chargeImage>weapons/your_glow_image.png</chargeImage>
</weaponAnim>

by adding the line

<chargeImage>weapons/your_glow_image.png</chargeImage>

Take a look at some examples of charge images in the games files.
Image Image ImageImage
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:03 am

Thanks gentasaurus! I'll work on it tomorrow.
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
gentasaurus

Postby gentasaurus » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:41 am

elijahdb wrote:Thanks gentasaurus! I'll work on it tomorrow.

No problem. Didn't realize you already made a glow image, it looks great.
Image Image ImageImage
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:18 pm

Could someone post a tutorial on how the <boost> effect on weapons works with FTL (what to do in the blueprints.xml.append, animations.xml.append, glow images, etc)? And if this tutorial does exist, can someone please direct me to it?
gentasaurus

Postby gentasaurus » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:47 am

elijahdb wrote:Could someone post a tutorial on how the <boost> effect on weapons works with FTL (what to do in the blueprints.xml.append, animations.xml.append, glow images, etc)? And if this tutorial does exist, can someone please direct me to it?

Are you referring to the chain laser and stuff?
Yeah, I can write a tutorial on that. Give me a little time. I lost my laptop charger so I need to do it when I get home later.

edit: voila.
http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29812
Image Image ImageImage
gentasaurus

Postby gentasaurus » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:40 am

Is there any way to change how rapidly a weapon fires? aka the amount of time between each individual shot?

I have a charge laser with up to 10 chargeable shots, and when that fires, it's extremely quick.
On the other hand, I have a non-chargeable laser with 10 shots. They don't fire as quickly as I like them to.

I understand <speed> changes the speed of the laser, but what about the weapon fire rate? Is there a way to change that?
Image Image ImageImage
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:13 pm

Answer to question 1: To view the Captain's edition info rename it's .ftl file as a .zip file. You can open the zip folder and extract all of the dats into a folder and view them from there.

Answer to question 2: There are no ways whatsoever to edit crew and their abilities (except art sprites), unless you have a mac. You can edit some crew stuff with this tool someone made, I'm not sure what you can do with it. Here's the link. -> http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29055

Answer to question 3: If you want a ship with 6 weapon slots and another with 6 drone slots, yes, this is possible. Here's kartoFlane's ship editor to get you going, just in case you don't know about it. -> http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24901
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:45 pm

Just wanted to add to eli's answer to question #3, that it is not possible for a ship to have two (or more) separate instances of a system -- so it's not possible to have a ship with 2 weapon systems (artillery is a special case)
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:12 pm

Gidoza wrote:Re: Q1 - Okay, this seems simple enough. So when they're in that folder, I can just edit the values plain and simply? And then how do I re-package the data back into the .ftl file so it works properly? I guess that's about it. :)

You need to have the data (and other top level) folders directly in the archive, just like it looks when you unpack the ce zip. Pack it into a default, normal compression level zip file.

But you don't necessarily have to unpack the whole thing, if you have 7-zip or another half-decent archiver, you can just open the .ftl file with it, edit the desired file,save, and say yes to the prompt about overwriting it.