Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
TheVastComplex

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby TheVastComplex » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:53 pm

FasterThanKestrel wrote:I understand that unpacking the .dat from SMM will give me the .xml files, but those don't then correlate to the actual resources, right? They're just duplicates of the actual resources?

I want to be able to create weapons and other things using Slipstream and the .xmls. I want my changes to take effect on the .xml files, but the extracted ones won't do that, right?

Also, I want to be able to change the .png files - I'm using those to create e new ship, and I just want them rotated 90˚. The same thing is true, though - extracting the dats won't actually give me the ones used by the program.

Sorry, I'm a little bit n00by with modding.

Correct; they are indeed duplicates. Download Superliminal and read the readme_modders.txt. What superluminal does is it replaces FTL's resources with the mod's substitute resources, and repacks the .dat. You should NOT try to directly edit the .dat, rather, try to take apart some mods that do something similar to what you want. Most mods for ftl are .ftl files, which are just zip files with a different file extension.
Last edited by TheVastComplex on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheVastComplex

Postby TheVastComplex » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:59 pm

Sorry mekloz; I didn't see your post.
TheVastComplex

Postby TheVastComplex » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:36 pm

I am trying to make a mod that adds an Ion Drone FTL. Currently, it borrows a picture and much of its assets from the fabulous Drones+ mod. However, I can't seem to make it work to add JUST an IonDrone. Here's a download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7tfmi9w0edzc04/IonDrone.ftl?dl=1
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:47 pm

Don't really understand what the issue is (didn't launch the game with it). You should probably either add the actual drone blueprint, though, or find the vanilla ion drone that isn't used and change the rarity higher for it to show up.

Btw, above you wrote superluminal not slipstream.
TheVastComplex

Postby TheVastComplex » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:52 pm

meklozz wrote:Don't really understand what the issue is (didn't launch the game with it). You should probably either add the actual drone blueprint, though, or find the vanilla ion drone that isn't used and change the rarity higher for it to show up.

I took the working code from Drones+ and cut out all the stuff not relating to the ion drone. I'm using mod testing software to generate a list of 40 or so random drones, and although in Drones+ the ion drone appears on this list, it does not as a result of my mod.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:57 pm

TheVastComplex wrote:
meklozz wrote:Don't really understand what the issue is (didn't launch the game with it). You should probably either add the actual drone blueprint, though, or find the vanilla ion drone that isn't used and change the rarity higher for it to show up.

I took the working code from Drones+ and cut out all the stuff not relating to the ion drone. I'm using mod testing software to generate a list of 40 or so random drones, and although in Drones+ the ion drone appears on this list, it does not as a result of my mod.

Originally it sounded like you had too many drones in your own mod somehow (rather than just the ion drone). As said above, you have only included the drone's weapon, what you need is the droneBlueprint. There is one in vanilla files, but the rarity is 0, and there is probably one in the drone+ mod. Be careful, though, that mod looks like it's from before AE, so there may be stuff missing or something, though I don't think blueprints changed much, and I see you included the new override lists.
FasterThanKestrel

Postby FasterThanKestrel » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:12 am

I figured it out: the data.dat file just has all the .xmls on Macs. Good thing, too - I would have given up had I not noticed the insane size of it.
TheVastComplex

Postby TheVastComplex » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:59 am

FasterThanKestrel wrote:I figured it out: the data.dat file just has all the .xmls on Macs. Good thing, too - I would have given up had I not noticed the insane size of it.

Literally what we've been saying.

macOS master race.
FasterThanKestrel

Postby FasterThanKestrel » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:02 am

Yeah, macOS users don't exactly inspire confidence in those who Know What They're Doing.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:35 am

FasterThanKestrel wrote:I figured it out: the data.dat file just has all the .xmls on Macs. Good thing, too - I would have given up had I not noticed the insane size of it.

You still need to patch in from slipstream, you'll just break the file if you outright edit it.