Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
meklozz

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby meklozz » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:55 pm

Gidoza wrote:Right - so I have 7Zip, and I opened the .ftl file, but I couldn't find the weapons' list anywhere - just ships. :/

Should be in one of the files with blueprints in their name, like blueprints.xml, dlcBlueprints.xml, and.. dlcBlueprintsOverwrite.xml? Ctrl+f in them to look for the weapon values.
fdagpigj

Postby fdagpigj » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:09 pm

1. Is there a difference between class= and type= in <crewMember> tags? I see both used in vanilla.
2. What damage types does <boost> affect? Is it possible to have two separate boost tags on one weapon? And yes I could test these out on my own but might as well ask here first.
3. In a video by Anistuffs, an enemy crewmember was at 15 health, got shot once, and survived with 1 health remaining. Any idea how this might be possible? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxAXmlbXRrk&t=28m02s
4. Does modifyPursuit work in the final sector? As in, if you use a negative value, will the rebels not take over a beacon this turn?
5. What exactly triggers the removal of the Stasis Pod in the Ruwen event?
6. What's the default boardingAI? Are invasion and sabotage the only possible values?
7. What's the best way to test the flagship fight? I'm thinking a save editor or making a backup right before it?
8. Do values higher than 1 for rarity on systems do anything?
9. Is it possible to modify the flagship crew?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:06 am

I can answer some of those...

3. Probably crew health is stored as a fractional value, but only the whole part is displayed in the UI. So the crew member had something like 15.5 HP, -15 from the shot, has 0.5 remaining - gets rounded up to 1. Storing HP this way makes it easier to implement gradual HP change over time, ie. stuff like medbay or fires.
5. That event is hardcoded to remove this particular item. No idea what actually triggers it, though. Could be as simple as, if the activated event is the crystal quest, then remove this item from player's inventory once the event dialog window is closed, or something along those lines. But that's just an educated guess.
6. Pretty much, those are the only values observed in the files. Default should be sabotage, if I recall correctly
7. Making a backup right before it is your best bet, I think. IIRC Vhati's profile editor doesn't support in-combat saves or boss fight (could be wrong, though)
8. Affects how often that system appears in shops, if you don't have it installed already.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:02 pm

Gidoza wrote:
meklozz wrote:
Gidoza wrote:Right - so I have 7Zip, and I opened the .ftl file, but I couldn't find the weapons' list anywhere - just ships. :/

Should be in one of the files with blueprints in their name, like blueprints.xml, dlcBlueprints.xml, and.. dlcBlueprintsOverwrite.xml? Ctrl+f in them to look for the weapon values.

Okay, I did find that file - though when I open it, the text is all just a garbled goupy nonsense. Is there a way to open it whereby it is properly structured?

Do you mean that there are no newlines anywhere they need to be? CE was probably written on Linux, and notepad can't handle it, use something else. Just about anything will do, notepad++ or whatever.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:58 pm

Gidoza wrote:Guess I'll have to find Notepad++...

If you're interested, I use AkelPad, very fast and similar to the notepad, but with more features. Wasn't at my pc earlier and couldn't remember how it was called, sorry.
GianTell

Postby GianTell » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:02 am

Is there a way to reduce/increase the speed of projectiles being shot (not the trajectory speed) from charger-type weapon..?
It's not the length of the .ogg used for the fire sound, right? :v

Nevermind, it's the firing frame length ;3
Jimli_

Postby Jimli_ » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:58 pm

Hi folks, I'm making a custom ship with less rooms than there are available systems in the game. How do I make it so certain systems won't appear in shops/cost 0.00$ in-game so players won't accidentally buy useless systems that don't appear? I seem to recall that it doesn't matter if you buy a system that's not available for your ship and nothing happens, but it'll still charge you for the price. Gencool removed systems from the game with his paragonyx: viewtopic.php?t=29030
ImageImageImage
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:02 pm

You need to set the rarity of the system to 0, just like how you can't find Crystal weapons in stores or Dual Lasers.

I think Shields, Life Support and Weapons however ignore rarity values and will annoyingly pop up in stores.
Jimli_

Postby Jimli_ » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:09 pm

Adding the relevant system info into the blueprints file doesn't seem to cut it, can you give me an example of what I should specifically put in there? Like line for line.
ImageImageImage
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:44 pm

Have you checked dlcblueprints.xml.append (or created one) because that might also be your issue.

For example, this is Mind Control.

Code: Select all

<systemBlueprint name="mind">
   <type>mind</type>
   <title>Mind Control</title>
   <desc>Temporarily turn enemies into allies.</desc>
   <startPower>1</startPower>
   <maxPower>3</maxPower>
   <rarity>0</rarity>
   <upgradeCost>
      <level>30</level> <!-- level 2 -->
      <level>60</level> <!-- level 3 -->
   </upgradeCost>
   <cost>75</cost>
   <locked>1</locked>
</systemBlueprint>

The <rarity></rarity> tags need to be at 0.

As for blueprints.xml.append, let's say you want to get rid of Drone Control because it's a smug asshole who pops up when no one wants it around...

Code: Select all

<systemBlueprint name="drones">
   <type>drones</type>
   <title>Drone Control</title>
   <desc>Powers all of the ship's drones. Drones are automated robots that perform tasks like attacking enemy ships or repairing systems.</desc>
   <startPower>2</startPower>
   <maxPower>8</maxPower>
   <rarity>0</rarity>
   <upgradeCost>
      <level>10</level>
      <!-- level 2 -->
      <level>20</level>
      <!-- level 3 -->
      <level>30</level>
      <!-- level 4 -->
      <level>45</level>
      <!-- level 5 -->
      <level>60</level>
      <!-- level 6 -->
      <level>80</level>
      <!-- level 7 -->
      <level>100</level>
      <!-- level 8 -->
      <level>120</level>
      <!-- Imaginary level 9 -->
   </upgradeCost>
   <cost>60</cost>
</systemBlueprint>

A rarity of 0 should shut it up and tell it to stay away from stores.