Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
gentasaurus

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby gentasaurus » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:45 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to change an event's planet?

Code: Select all

<text planet="PLANET_GAS">blahblahblah</text>

I want my event to have a gas planet but the above code has no effect.
Image Image ImageImage
Walaryne

Postby Walaryne » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:59 pm

Hi guys,
I'm rather new to FTL: Faster Than Light. Anyway I found out that mod support is great and easy to compared to other games. I was wondering if there was any specific way to post a mod I made (formatting, etc.)
Thanks!
Walaryne
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:12 pm

There's no real etiquette to posting a mod. Just give it a title and perhaps suggest to people in that title what the mod is all about. Game overhaul, like Captain's Edition, is it a ship? Or is it a set of guns or drones you can possibly find in a store?
It's recommended you post a picture of the ship/weapons/drones/overhaul as well so people can get a visual idea of what they're in for as some can't just download and try it out for themselves due to circumstances (like having an Android or on a computer without FTL).

Although if you need to know what format it is, the mods are saved in .ftl files (just rename a .zip or .rar to it) and the files within need to be .xml.append

Most people use Dropbox or Mediafire for their uploading needs.

Anyway, if you've made a mod, be sure to share it with us... unless it's an overpowered ship with weapons that essentially go "I win" with a single click. We have too many of those and those ships are rather boring after the first few jumps :(
GianTell

Postby GianTell » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:29 am

Hello, I want to ask a question;

Is it possible to change specific beam (the red beam line, not the contact image) image?
I want to make a 'beam' weapon but with electricity arcs (10px length) instead of a beam.

If that's not possible, is there a way to make one?
Something like electricity arcs that spans from the tip of the weapon to the target for 1~2 seconds.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:40 am

Nope. You can only change the beam's colour.
I dunno if even the rest could be done either.
GianTell

Postby GianTell » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:15 am

Oh crud... :'( oh well there goes my idea xD
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:18 am

I made a weapon, put it on the kestrel, took the oxygen system off of the ship and swapped the humans for Lanius. I turned it into an ftl file, put it in slipstream, added it into the game, and it doesn't even recognize my changes.

Could someone check out my code and see what's wrong?

Here's the link to the XML files http://www.dreniarb.com/elijah/Molok%20Beam.zip
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:07 am

elijahdb wrote:I made a weapon, put it on the kestrel, took the oxygen system off of the ship and swapped the humans for Lanius. I turned it into an ftl file, put it in slipstream, added it into the game, and it doesn't even recognize my changes.

Here's the link to the XML files http://www.dreniarb.com/elijah/Molok%20Beam.zip

I'm just quickly going through it on my phone, but it looks like the first two lines in the blueprints are lacking some pointy braces there.

@edit
Answer below is better, this is just crappy es text editor being crappy.
Last edited by meklozz on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FearTheBlaziken

Postby FearTheBlaziken » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:48 am

elijahdb wrote:I made a weapon, put it on the kestrel, took the oxygen system off of the ship and swapped the humans for Lanius. I turned it into an ftl file, put it in slipstream, added it into the game, and it doesn't even recognize my changes.

The Files in the zip seem to link to a folder that contains the files rather than accessing the mod files directly

Your zip currently looks like this: Molok Beam.zip\Molok Beam\data + img
It should look like this: Molok Beam.ftl\data + img

Simply rename the file to "Molok Beam.ftl" and move the "data" and "img" files onto your desktop and drag them back outside the "Molok Beam" folder in the zip/ftl file.

Given what I've done while others were not active, I can now say that I've polished the Polish Kit. Release coming soon, but not from me.
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:42 am

THANK YOU!!! I knew my coding was fine, so I was really confused.

Have fun translating Arsenal+, I'm really looking forward to playing it!
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.