Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:00 pm

There does not necessarily have to be a deep reason for the boss sensors to be there. Maybe they just exist for flavor, to set the Flagship apart, or to diminish hull beam damage a little...
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:41 am

NarnKar wrote:Image
This Beam-ship from CE seems to be doing just fine without sensors for its artillery. Plus, CE's purchaseable artillery applies to all ships, including those that start without sensors.

So I ask again: why does the Rebel Flagship have a sensors room? It's not for aiming artillery.

and via mods you can make the rebels a bunch of flying spahgetti monsters that are on your team fighting the greatest power to the universe, the zoltans.

Just because it can be done by modding doesn't mean it's cannon and/or vanilla. The ability of having stealth and artillery on the same ship or being able to give rebels a multi race crew etc.

The same ship in the same screen shot that's a player isn't vanilla either. It's lanius, federation, rock hybrid.

Sensors in a sense (pun not intended) do nothing, but so does a lot of other systems and situations.
it's just how the game works... who knows? maybe a code in the hard coding gives sensors on enemy ships an accuracy bonus or better aimming in harder game modes but we do not know it?

overall. in short. It's there for cannon/ lore reasons.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:01 am

Why is there even talk about the Flagship having sensors? It hasn't had sensors since the AE update.

R4V3-0N wrote:Just because it can be done by modding doesn't mean it's cannon and/or vanilla. The ability of having stealth and artillery on the same ship

Bad example, as that is possible in vanilla since the AE update.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:15 pm

RAD-82 wrote:Why is there even talk about the Flagship having sensors? It hasn't had sensors since the AE update.

R4V3-0N wrote:Just because it can be done by modding doesn't mean it's cannon and/or vanilla. The ability of having stealth and artillery on the same ship

Bad example, as that is possible in vanilla since the AE update.

Ssssssssssssssssh, They don't know that yet. :geek:
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:42 pm

I regret ever starting this line of conversation.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:12 am

NarnKar wrote:I regret ever starting this line of conversation.

But this is only just the beginning
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:38 pm

I don't remember a thing.

I heard somewhere that if I don't assign all possible systems to a ship i will still be able to buy them in shops but they won't be added and the player will basically waste money on them. Is this true? Do i have to assign all systems to player ships, even if I don't want to? :P
ImageImageImageImageImage
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:47 pm

Yup, if a system is not assigned to a room on a ship, the player will still be able to buy that system, but it won't be enabled. So it's basically a waste of scrap.
You could counteract that by setting rarity of the system that you don't want to 0, so that the player never has the opportunity to buy the system, but that would reduce the compatibility of your mod.
Or you could just tell people not to even bother buying a certain system, but that rarely works...
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:00 pm

What a bummer. My ship's layout is so perfect as it is... if i have to add another system it'd be all asymmetric and crap. XD And a ship can't have all systems on it at once anyway, so blehrghh... I guess i'll have to review everything. Thanks for the quick response bro! ; )
ImageImageImageImageImage
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:19 pm

Extract the game files and search in blueprints.xml for a vanilla beam (text search for "Glaive Beam" for example.) Those vanilla blueprints are probably the best template you can get.