[MOD][WIP]Ship Greeble Graphics Mod

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

Re: [MOD][WIP]Ship Greeble Graphics Mod

Postby NarnKar » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:37 am

I really like the greebles at the back, and how jagged they are; the greebles at the front follow the hull really closely, and that's a little bit more boring IMO.

Can't wait to see crystal interior designs on Rock C! (And also Crystal A...)
Estel

Postby Estel » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:30 am

Whoa, awesome greebles, Sleeper! I definitely love the over-plated thing, after all, it's meant to be "super-dense behemoth". And, to be honest, how many times we could look at the same old pipes, radiators, etc? This give rock ship a distinct style. Waiting for the final version :)

/Estel
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:24 am

Rock A greebles final
Rock C greebles final

I'm kind of lost when imagining how crystals could look from the inside, so I just opted for finer plating, implying that there is a sheet of crystal grown on top. I hope the insides make up for the bland outer greebles. Feel free to improve upon this, I'll go for Rock B next.
Estel

Postby Estel » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:39 am

I thought about some ship's internal systems/instruments being half-hybrid with crystals.. But, no idea how to portrait it in pixel art, either ;)

Considering, that FTL is entering glorious era of totally randomized startup ships (that still preserve spirit and playstyle fo said ship), random room layouts included:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26255

...I thought that it might be good idea to include greebles in the quotation:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26255&p=84812#p84812

It's much easier than it sounds - it would just need greebles artist's to create greebles for *whole* ship, not only parts visible between rooms - then, kartoFlane's RoomWall generating algorithm would just add those gray walls around randomly created rooms, and overlay everything on top of greebles, creating floor image that have both greebles and gray walls appropriate to randomly generated rooms.

Trilobite and Sleeper - what do you think? IMO, extending greebles to be room layout-agnostic would not only contribute to current randomized ships, but would be also future-proof - if we have greebles for whole hull image, we're ready for whatever future of ship's modding brings ;)

/Estel
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:13 pm

I think this is probably pretty complicated to code and also requires some knowledge of tile based striping to actually look good. I'll settle for supplementing this mod with fixed greebles for now. I mean we haven't even finished half the ships yet.

Rock B greebles final

Mantis A greebles
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:10 am

Sleeper Service wrote:I think this is probably pretty complicated to code and also requires some knowledge of tile based striping to actually look good. I'll settle for supplementing this mod with fixed greebles for now. I mean we haven't even finished half the ships yet.

I believe what Estel meant was just remove the grey area of all Greebles. You would just have a complete Greeble as if the entire ship was sliced in half. This would then allow the Greebles to work with basically any layout that was modded in. ;)
Estel

Postby Estel » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:17 am

Russian Rockman wrote:I believe what Estel meant was just remove the grey area of all Greebles. You would just have a complete Greeble as if the entire ship was sliced in half. This would then allow the Greebles to work with basically any layout that was modded in. ;)

Yes, exactly. This way, there is big 0 complication - you just have one greeble to rule them all (tm), aka working with all room layouts of said ship, as Rockman pointed out.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:35 am

Ah I see. Well I kind of like that the hand crafted greebles can interact with room lyouts and even systems present in rooms so well. Also what you suggest basically means ten times the work. No way I'm doing that. Feel free to takes this on if you like. Looking forward to see your all-ship greebles.
LordTrilobite

Postby LordTrilobite » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Hey there. It's cool to see you to make your own greebles, Sleeper Service. I quite like the idea of overdone plating. Though personally I'd give it more actual ship guts/greebles. I do quite like the look of the Mantis ship.

Don't take this the wrong way, normally I like to do these kinds of projects on my own. But considering the time I spend on this. I probably wouldn't ever really finish it. So I suppose it's good to see others chime in. So I do really appreciate it.

And that randomized layout mod looks great. But I'm also definitely not going to make all-greeble images without any gray areas. That's just way too much work. I'm doing this in my free time when I feel like it. And I have a whole load of other personal projects. You'd need a whole team of artists. But you're definitely welcome to use the greebles I made as a template to expand on.
Image - Image
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:17 pm

Hey LordTrilobite.

It's not my attention to take your project away from you or something like that. These are mere suggestions that could be worked on or left discarded. I just like the whole concept a lot and I'd really love to see a full set of these finished for CE at some point. So I started to do some on my own as I wasn't sure if it will ever be completed. If I count right there are 12 ships left to do now. I can complete the Mantis set and I have a raw idea for the Zoltans, but having more people actually working on this would be great, as it takes really long. It's still fun though. :|

Mantis C greebles