FTL Captains Edition: Call for Sector Names

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

FTL Captains Edition: Call for Sector Names

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:05 am

Hey there modders/everybody

Since some time, FTL Captains Edition is featuring custom names for all sector types. I would like to give you all an opportunity to contribute names if you desire so. Each sector type has it's own name pool to randomize names from. Your names will most likely make it into the mod if they meets the following requirements:

1. Lore friendly
That's what CE is about. For style suggestions see below. Go easy on the scy-fi references. Yes, Yarin IV is a cool name for a Rebel controlled sector, but if half the sectors you encounter exist in some fictional universe the thing gets old fast. Vanilla FTL uses this references scarcely and quite subliminal, you might want to do it that way to. FTL also is very light on real world references. Apart from the missile launchers (greek mythology) and some vague ship names not so much suggests that FTL has anything to do with our earth. FTL is not freelancer, no "Texas System" please. Creative and unique ideas that fit the lore rock more anyway.

2. Indicating the Sector Type effectively
Sector names still should give away what type of sector you are travelling to. I suggested some universal "indicators" for each sector types below. You can use them in your names to make it clear for the player where he is going (so players can learn which keywords lead to which sector in time). You don't have to use them of course. If you have good ideas for names that clearly indicate where the player is going you are most welcome.

3. Length
The sector name space in the sector map is limited. I think 24 characters with spaces is about the most that can be displayed correctly, but it also depends of the relative size of the actuall letters. Your names should not be too longer.

Feel free to suggest in bulk. It would be great if the sectors could have all about hundred random names in the end. That would make each run kind of unique and the player could find new sectors all the time, well, at last by name. Please also post which sector type you are suggesting for.

Also:
- The Last Stand and the secret sector can't have custom sector name, no suggestions needed for these
- If you want to make things easier for me you can post your names in the following form:

<name>your sector name here</name>

Sector Names Wanted: Style and Indicators

Civilian Sector
Style: Could imply civilian trade or be just common system names. Pretty open type. Should not sound scary/threatening.
Possible Indicators: "Planets", "Planets", "Colonies", "Trade Sector"
Examples (Cut Vanilla):
<name>The Remskar Colonies</name>
<name>Tasador 8</name>
<name>Local Trade Sector 51-A2</name>

Civilian Coreworlds
Style: Could imply centres of civilisation and independence. Pretty open type as well. Could not sound scary/threatening.
Possible Indicators: "System", "Free", "Free System of", "Trade Hub", "Core Worlds", "Core Sector"
Examples (Custom):
<name>Trade Hub Omega 2.34</name>
<name>Palandrion System</name>
<name>Free Kolarion Core Worlds</name>

Engi Controlled Sector
Style: Could be a purely clinical, objective description, containing mathematicla or technical terms and numbers. Might also contain tags like [phrasing error], as other species and translators seem to have problems understanding engi terms.
Possible Indicators: "Vector" "Area" "Circle" "Fraction" "Cube" "Elipse" "Interval" "Volume"
Examples (Cut Vanilla/Custom):
<name>Vector 253.1</name>
<name>Volume 119348387330</name>
<name>[untranslatable] Number 32</name>

Engi Homeworlds
Style: Could suggest that there are Engi installations or institutions present. Numbers again tags like [phrasing error].
Possible Indicators: "Engi" "Engi Home" "Engi Hive" "Hive" "Colletive"
Examples (Custom):
<name>Engi Hive 6823</name>
<name>Engi Home Zeta 5</name>
<name>The [untranslatable] Collective</name>

Zoltan Controlled Sector
Style: Could imply bordering regions and Zoltan control (yeah....). Mixed with cheap Scy-Fi names.
Possible Indicators: "Borders" "Checkpoints" "Outskirt" "Perimeter" "Bounds" "Line"
Examples (Custom):
<name>The Ardian Borders</name>
<name>Checkpoints 256-278</name>
<name>The Secured Perimeter</name>

Zoltan Homeworlds
Style: Could imply Zoltan dominance and rule of law and institutions. Mixed with cheap Scy-Fi names.
Possible Indicators: "Zoltan" "Democracy" "Court" "Lawzone" "Judiciary" "Tribunal"
Examples (Custom):
<name>The Ardian Democracy</name>
<name>Zoltan Court of Ersel</name>
<name>The fifth Judiciary</name>

Pirate Controlled Sector
Style: Could imply lawlessness and danger.
Examples (Cut Vanilla):
<name>The Lawless Zone</name>
<name>Freedom's End</name>
<name>Parth Mining Colonies</name>

Mantis Controlled Sector
Style: Could have Names in Mantis style language. Implying mantis presence is substantial, but not yet dominant.
Possible Indicators: "Hunting Grounds" "Territory" "Turf" ...
Examples (Custom):
<name>Mazplik Hunting Grounds</name>
<name>The Kazfakzak Territory</name>
<name>Liklikalks Turf</name>

Mantis Homeworld
Style: Could imply Mantis dominance and big populations. Scarry places. Names in Mantis style language.
Possible Indicators: "Mantis" "Cluster" "Swarm" "Hatchery" "Prime"
Examples (Custom):
<name>The Big Mantis Hatchery</name>
<name>The Terror Cluster</name>
<name>Tazzakpliks Swarm</name>

Rock Controlled Sector
Style: Could imply light Rock presence, industrial activities and mining. Sun, Rock and Asteroid references. Poetic descriptions.
Possible Indicators: "Sun" "Stone" "Asteroid" "Shard"
Examples (Custom):
<name>Hard Shards Sector</name>
<name>The Eternal Mines</name>
<name>Sunflare Factories</name>

Rock Homeworlds
Style: Could imply Rock dominance. Sun, Rock and Asteroid references. Poetic descriptions.
Possible Indicators: "Rock" "Domain" "Kingdom" "Empire" "Estate" "Realm"
Examples (Vanilla):
<name>Third Rock Kingdom</name>
<name>The Asteroid Estate</name>
<name>The Far Domain</name>

Rebel Controlled Sector
Style:Could imply rebellion, unrest and defiance or unwanted Rebel controll. Military stuff also possible.
Possible Indicators: "Base" "Protectorate" "Liberated" "Rebell"
Examples (Cut Vanilla):
<name>Rebel Forward Base Sigma</name>
<name>The Liberated Front</name>
<name>Or'Arst Protectorate</name>

Federation Controlled Sector
Style:Could suggest Federation military or infastructure present.
Possible Indicators: "Federation" "Base" "Shipyard" "Stations" "Front" "Zone"
Examples (Custom):
<name>Federation Base Omega</name>
<name>The Onus Shipyards</name>
<name>Front at 1.132</name>

Uncharted Nebulas
Style:Could imply that this Nebula is unknown. Number designations.
Possible Indicators: "Nebula" "Uncharted" "Unknown" "Unexplored" "Far-Off" "Undiscovered" "Unmaped"
Examples (Cut Vanilla/Custom):
<name>Uncharted Nebula 3.45</name>
<name>Unexplored Nebula 6.567</name>
<name>Undiscovered Nebula 348</name>

Slug Controlled Nebula
Style:Common astronomic like nebula names. Poetic descriptions and metaphors.
Possible Indicators: "Nebula"
Examples (Custom):
<name>Bella Nebula</name>
<name>Shiron Nebula</name>
<name>The Great Veil</name>

Slug Home Nebula
Style:Could imply Slug presence and reference hedonism, consumerism and treachery.
Possible Indicators: "Nebula" "Slug" "Pleasure" ...
Examples (Custom):
<name>The Pleasure Zone</name>
<name>Backstabbers Mist</name>
<name>Shiny Gold Nebula</name>

Abandoned Sector
Style:Could imply that it is abandoned, obviously; could also refer to the Laius directly or to places that would attract a Lanius fleet
Possible Indicators: "Abandoned" "Lanius" "Scavenger" "Debris/Scap Field" "Battlefield" ...
Examples (Custom):
<name>Junction 89 [Abandoned]</name>
<name>Scavenger Fleet at 87.17.347</name>
<name>The Victor Scrap Field</name>

Hazard Sector
Style:Could imply generall hazard danger or reference huge asteroid fields or plasma storm.
Possible Indicators: "Hazard" "Asteroids" "Field" "Belt" "Storm" "Torrent" "Tempest" "Disturbance"...
Examples (Custom):
<name>Hazard Zone at 2.392.7</name>
<name>The Ripper Belt</name>
<name>The Endless Tempest</name>

Industrial Sector
Style: Could imply centres low tech industrial activity with heavy impact on the galactic environment.
Possible Indicators: "Industrial", "Factories", "Scrapyard", "Waste Disposal", "Salvageyard", "Pollution", "Smog", "Dust", "Dust Cloud", "Radiation", "Acid", "Corrosion"
Examples (Custom):
<name>Industrial Zone s-572-u</name>
<name>Cevis Alpha [Acid Hazard!]</name>
<name>The Theta Smog Cloud</name>

Quarantined Sector (original concept by kartoFlane)
Style: Could reference disease and humanitarian crisis and the efforts to contain it.
Possible Indicators: "Quarantine", "Contained", "Aid", "Disease", "Plague", "Medical Emergency", "Health Crisis", "Distress"
Examples (Custom):
<name>Malis 9 [Quarantined]</name>
<name>Contained Plague Zone 27</name>
<name>Health Crisis at 0.218.85</name>

Pirate Home World Sector (comming with CE X.xxx)
Style: Could reference clear total outlaw dominance and illegal activities.
Possible Indicators: "Pirate Base", "Gang", "Smuggling",
Examples (Custom):
<name>Rak'ksaks Gang HQ</name>
<name>The Omicron Smuggler Zone</name>
<name>Pirate Base at 0.071.33</name>

AI Controlled Sectors
Style: Could reference dominance by artificial lifeforms, nano bot clouds, isolation and an unknown threat.
Possible Indicators: "AI", "Nano Cloud", "Entity", "Bot", "Net", "Hack"
Examples (Custom):
<name>The Alpha AI</name>
<name>319-k-PS-Golgons Nano Cloud</name>
<name>Theta 6 [Rouge AI Controlled]</name>

Auto Controlled Sector
Style:Could refer to automated production activity, with references to the Rebels.
Possible Indicators: "Auto" "Mobile Shipyard/Mines" "Production/Mining Fleet"
Examples (Custom):
<name>Rebel Production Zone L9</name>
<name>Mobile Shipyard at 80.14.72</name>
<name>Production Fleet "Justice"</name>
Last edited by Sleeper Service on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:51 am, edited 11 times in total.
Torchwood202

Re: FTL Captains Edition: Call for Sector Names

Postby Torchwood202 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:50 am

You took all the good names! Now i gotta think of some other ones...

Civilan Sector:
Colony Sector 972

Civilan Coreworlds:
Neutral Ally

Engi Controlled Sector:
[Technical Equation]
Half Bio-Organisms Detected

Engi Homeworlds:
Drone Hive 1
Sector 3.14159

Zoltan Controlled Sector:
Have your Documents Ready
Borderline Dash Delta

Zoltan Homewords:
Judgement X-43

Pirate Controlled Sector:
Totally Not Illegal.
Criminal Hidey-Hole
Bar 16-12

Mantis Controlled Sector:
The Scarred Arm
Pinnacle

Mantis Homeworlds:
Kaz. Hunting Grounds
The Swarm Sector

Rock Controlled Sector:
Commandment Six Four

Rock Homeworlds:
Ancient Ancestor

Rebel Controlled Sector:
Rebel Zone 7

Federation Controlled Sector:
Freedom

Uncharted Nebula:
Unregistered Sector

Slug Controlled Nubula:
Through the Mist
Cloudy With A Chance O-

Slug Homeworlds:
Cheaters Bay

Harzard Sector:
WARNING, WARNING
Dangerous Anomoly Detected
The Ceaseless Discharge
Sang-Froid (Its a word, look it up. It's perfect for this sector)
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:17 am

I'm really bad with names, but one of the hazard sectors has to be called Someone's Folly. Someone did a Folly, and got a sector named after their screwup. Only, replace 'someone' with an actual name.
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:00 am

Fairly quick, top-of-the-head stuff:

Civilian Sector
New Hope ;) (but seriously that sounds like a sector/planet name)

Civilian Coreworlds
Hope (else where would New Hope have gotten their name)

Engi Controlled Sector / Homeworlds
(I think anything I could think of for Engi would work in both)
10010110 (or any 8 binary digits)
0x10c (Minecraft/Mojang reference)

Pirate Controlled Sector
Scuttler's Expanse
Tuco's Proving Grounds

Federation Controlled Sector
United Federated States
The Allwelcome

Uncharted Nebulas
(aside: I've always hated that the rebels were somehow prepared to traverse an uncharted nebula)
The Misty Expanse
Horsehead Nebula
The Lost Systems

Hazard Sector
Black Hole Alley
Kessel ;)
The Badlands
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:17 pm

Are Black Hole Alley and Badlands from X?
Been a while since i played...
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Metzelmax

Postby Metzelmax » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:25 pm

Nebula:
-The Gap
-The fog
-The Mist
-Jonathan's Hide
-the void

Hazard:
-The forbidden zone
-Dead zone
-Bad lands
Last edited by Metzelmax on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here is the Stuff I made:
ImageImageImageImage
And stuff is always better than no stuff, right?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:47 pm

Neat, keep em coming. :)
Forgot about the final sector. Added that to the OP as well:

The Last Stand
Style:Yes, this can and will be modified. Names might imply a final battle, but could also just designate the Federation main base.
Possible Indicators: "Federation" "Base" ...
Examples (Custom):
<name>The Showdown</name>
<name>Endgame</name>
<name>The Last Federation Base</name>
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:30 pm

UltraMantis wrote:Are Black Hole Alley and Badlands from X?
Been a while since i played...

I've never played X :)

The Badlands is from Star Trek Deep Space 9 (and Voyager technically, they went there in the pilot episode). Black Hole Alley is - as far as I know - my own creation.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Torchwood202

Postby Torchwood202 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:36 pm

Last Stand:
Main Fed. Base
The Last Straw
INTEL DESTINATION
DESTINATION COMPLETE
ADVANCED CRUISER DETECTED

Crystal Sector:
Unregistered Sector
Lost
Unknown
???

Since the CE event thread is basically dead, I'll add my idea for a hazard sector event here. This may be known as a 'puzzle' event, featuring several options in different situations. This will also be the event everyone dreads, for all bad options will have a higher chance of happening.

You arrive into the nebula and notice something odd. Hidden behind the veil of clouds, there is a... battleship, just floating in the vast nothingness. Your computers detect a transmission coming in. You try to open up communications, but all you get is a fuzzy black and white screen. You got a bad feeling about this...

1. The unknown is vast, but some things are just creepy. Move on. (Leave)
2. Try to manually override communications.
3. (Blue option) Have your Engi re-connect communications.
4. (Blue option) Use your Effector to re-connect communications.

2a. While trying to reconnect, one of your crew looks into the static and drops on the floor. You rush over and find that your crew member is dead! Whatever was on that screen... you shiver at the thought. You forget about communications and charge the FTL drive. Your crew sends your dead member off into the airlock. (Lose a crew member)
2b. Your fruitless attempts get you no further than you already are. You forget about communications and charge the FTL drive. (Nothing happens)

3a and 4a. Your attempts were successful! The video looks a bit better, but not by much. You identify the room as the piloting room, but what you notice next is disturbing. You see a dead human, sitting against the back wall. There is blood everywhere.
1. Leave...now. (Leave)
2. (Blue option) Send your Mantis aboard.
3. (Blue option) Send your Rockman aboard.
4. (Blue option) Send your Slug aboard.

2a. Hacking into the camera of the battleship, you see your Mantis cautiously tip-toeing down the hall. He turns a corner and disappears out of the camera's view. You hear a blood-curdling scream. Then the camera goes static.

1. Continue

1a. All the other cameras on the ship have gone static...except one. You hack into it to find your Mantis, lying on the floor, a look of shock on its face. You also see a abnormally tall figure, humanoid. It looks at the camera, and your lucky your heart is still pumping, before the screen goes static. There is no time to mourn, time to go! (Leave)
1b. You hack into the next camera over. You see your Mantis, towering over a figure. Before you can make out the now dead... thing, it simply disappears in a silent puff of black smoke. Your Mantis trips over itself scurrying back to your ship and refuses to say what it just killed. You think you can almost see... fear in it's eyes? Either way, the threat has been neutralized. Lets see if we have enough room in the bay for battleship-sized scrap heap. (REWARD: Large scrap)

3. Hacking into the camera, you see your Rockman striding down the hall of the battleship. You wish you sent in someone more... stealthy. He turns a corner and slowly disappears out of view. Shortly after, your Rockman backs up into view again, as if something is in front of him. Your Rockman appears to hear something infront of it, and then says "Why yes, there are others like me, taller then you.". You hear a barely audible 'poof' and black mist comes into view, surrounding your Rockman. You hear a very undignified whimper come from the veil.

1. Continue

1a. You hear a very burly scream, and the mist departs. Your Rockman disappeared! Your crew, frightened by the turn of events, quickly start up the FTL as you stand there in shock. (Leave)

1b.The mist departs, and your Rockman is holding a weapon in his arms! He for some reason barrels down back to the ship, hands you the weapon, and leaves the room. You can't get any info from him about what just happened. Best not to question it... Rockman are known for being brave. (Reward: High-tier weapon)

4. You hack into the security cameras and see your Slug... 'slugging' himself down the hall. Just about he is about to come out of the camera's view, he stops and stares. He appears to be speaking to something off screen. "I'm don't know who... what you are, but I'm not afraid!" He says, all while backing up. The room goes silent and you take note that your Slug is concentrating hard. Perhaps he's having a mind battle with the unseen creature?

1. Continue

1a. Your Slug, after some time, screams "My brain!" and collapses to the floor. Anything that can beat a Slug in mind combat is something not worth dealing with. Your crew, shocked by the events that have happened power up the FTL as you desperately try to find a camera that shows the unknown creature. (Leave)

1b. You see your Slug smile, and hear a barely audible 'poof' before black mist rises into the camera's view and disports. Your Slug continues trekking along to what appears to be the storage room and swipes a box before he comes back to the ship. Your Slug refuses to tell what happened in the ship. You look in the crate to find...

1a. Fuel
1b. Missiles
1c. Drone parts
1d. A augmentation
1e. A trade good
1f. A weapon
1g. Some scrap
(REWARD: Medium-high for all rewards)
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Torchwood202 wrote:Last Stand:
Main Fed. Base
The Last Straw
INTEL DESTINATION
DESTINATION COMPLETE
ADVANCED CRUISER DETECTED

Crystal Sector:
Unregistered Sector
Lost
Unknown
???

Since the CE event thread is basically dead, I'll add my idea for a hazard sector event here. This may be known as a 'puzzle' event, featuring several options in different situations. This will also be the event everyone dreads, for all bad options will have a higher chance of happening.

You arrive into the nebula and notice something odd. Hidden behind the veil of clouds, there is a... battleship, just floating in the vast nothingness. Your computers detect a transmission coming in. You try to open up communications, but all you get is a fuzzy black and white screen. You got a bad feeling about this...

1. The unknown is vast, but some things are just creepy. Move on. (Leave)
2. Try to manually override communications.
3. (Blue option) Have your Engi re-connect communications.
4. (Blue option) Use your Effector to re-connect communications.

2a. While trying to reconnect, one of your crew looks into the static and drops on the floor. You rush over and find that your crew member is dead! Whatever was on that screen... you shiver at the thought. You forget about communications and charge the FTL drive. Your crew sends your dead member off into the airlock. (Lose a crew member)
2b. Your fruitless attempts get you no further than you already are. You forget about communications and charge the FTL drive. (Nothing happens)

3a and 4a. Your attempts were successful! The video looks a bit better, but not by much. You identify the room as the piloting room, but what you notice next is disturbing. You see a dead human, sitting against the back wall. There is blood everywhere.
1. Leave...now. (Leave)
2. (Blue option) Send your Mantis aboard.
3. (Blue option) Send your Rockman aboard.
4. (Blue option) Send your Slug aboard.

2a. Hacking into the camera of the battleship, you see your Mantis cautiously tip-toeing down the hall. He turns a corner and disappears out of the camera's view. You hear a blood-curdling scream. Then the camera goes static.

1. Continue

1a. All the other cameras on the ship have gone static...except one. You hack into it to find your Mantis, lying on the floor, a look of shock on its face. You also see a abnormally tall figure, humanoid. It looks at the camera, and your lucky your heart is still pumping, before the screen goes static. There is no time to mourn, time to go! (Leave)
1b. You hack into the next camera over. You see your Mantis, towering over a figure. Before you can make out the now dead... thing, it simply disappears in a silent puff of black smoke. Your Mantis trips over itself scurrying back to your ship and refuses to say what it just killed. You think you can almost see... fear in it's eyes? Either way, the threat has been neutralized. Lets see if we have enough room in the bay for battleship-sized scrap heap. (REWARD: Large scrap)

3. Hacking into the camera, you see your Rockman striding down the hall of the battleship. You wish you sent in someone more... stealthy. He turns a corner and slowly disappears out of view. Shortly after, your Rockman backs up into view again, as if something is in front of him. Your Rockman appears to hear something infront of it, and then says "Why yes, there are others like me, taller then you.". You hear a barely audible 'poof' and black mist comes into view, surrounding your Rockman. You hear a very undignified whimper come from the veil.

1. Continue

1a. You hear a very burly scream, and the mist departs. Your Rockman disappeared! Your crew, frightened by the turn of events, quickly start up the FTL as you stand there in shock. (Leave)

1b.The mist departs, and your Rockman is holding a weapon in his arms! He for some reason barrels down back to the ship, hands you the weapon, and leaves the room. You can't get any info from him about what just happened. Best not to question it... Rockman are known for being brave. (Reward: High-tier weapon)

4. You hack into the security cameras and see your Slug... 'slugging' himself down the hall. Just about he is about to come out of the camera's view, he stops and stares. He appears to be speaking to something off screen. "I'm don't know who... what you are, but I'm not afraid!" He says, all while backing up. The room goes silent and you take note that your Slug is concentrating hard. Perhaps he's having a mind battle with the unseen creature?

1. Continue

1a. Your Slug, after some time, screams "My brain!" and collapses to the floor. Anything that can beat a Slug in mind combat is something not worth dealing with. Your crew, shocked by the events that have happened power up the FTL as you desperately try to find a camera that shows the unknown creature. (Leave)

1b. You see your Slug smile, and hear a barely audible 'poof' before black mist rises into the camera's view and disports. Your Slug continues trekking along to what appears to be the storage room and swipes a box before he comes back to the ship. Your Slug refuses to tell what happened in the ship. You look in the crate to find...

1a. Fuel
1b. Missiles
1c. Drone parts
1d. A augmentation
1e. A trade good
1f. A weapon
1g. Some scrap
(REWARD: Medium-high for all rewards)

Is this thing Slendy?