Slipstream Mod Manager v1.9.1 (2018-01-07)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
kartoFlane

Re: Slipstream Mod Manager v1.4 (2013-09-20)

Postby kartoFlane » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:04 pm

SMM 1.5 hasn't been released yet, though the bulk of it is ready. There are still some changes waiting to be incorporated.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Nito

Postby Nito » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:23 am

kartoFlane wrote:If that doesn't help -- are you sure you are using the correct installer for FTL:AE? Are you sure you're launching the correct .exe? (maybe you have a shortcut pointing to an old installation of FTL for whatever reason)

Failing all that, you must be doing something wrong, because it's working perfectly fine on my end.

Apologies for cross-posting here if it doesn't belong, but this is the closest I can find to solving a problem. Does anyone have any ideas what kind of Windows fault or association would cause the game to 1383 when installed to a specific directory? I think it may be something GMM 1.5 related (a bad uninstall on my part?), but can't be certain. A pure vanilla install to to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\FTL' always crashes. Any other folder and I can play to my heart's content with mods and without. SMM works great when the game is installed to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\FTL2.' Just looking for troubleshooting ideas on that specific issue. Eagerly awaiting SM 1.5.

Post from bug forum.
http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23799
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:16 pm

When I try to open a file in the sandbox, the DOS terminal goes crazy and the program becomes slow at accepting input until I eventually get a file selected and opened.

It keeps repeating this: {Attachment broke, but problem has been solved}

I can't even begin to understand any of that. Good thing I don't need to.

Actually, this seems to be related to the buggy MediaSmart bar on this HP laptop. Once that thing resolved itself, the sandbox worked normally. I'll still post this thing anyways, because I don't know if it has any useful information in it.
Last edited by RAD-82 on Fri May 22, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
Pure_Canadian1

Postby Pure_Canadian1 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:16 pm

I have a solution to the problem with game files getting corrupted because the mod manager keeps backups, every time the mod manager runs make it check the game version and if the game version has changed make it create new backups.

I hope this has helped and created a solution to a large problem with this mod manager.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:40 am

RAD-82 wrote:When I try to open a file in the sandbox, the DOS terminal goes crazy and the program becomes slow at accepting input until I eventually get a file selected and opened.

Actually, this seems to be related to the buggy MediaSmart bar on this HP laptop. Once that thing resolved itself, the sandbox worked normally.

Not entirely sure what MediaSmart is, but I think maybe the bar was flooding the app with keystrokes. And I made an unsafe assumption in some code that responds to keystrokes. The keystrokes came from a weird source, which caused an error, followed by another, and another, etc keeping it really busy. I'll try to prevent that error from coming up again. Thanks!

Pure_Canadian1 wrote:every time the mod manager runs make it check the game version and if the game version has changed make it create new backups.

How would it check the version?
I'm not aware of any place the version is written down, except hardcoded in-game. Well... there's the registry entry for the game's uninstaller, but that's realllly kludgy (Besides that being an uninstaller, Java has issues with the registry, Windows does wacky stuff depending on 32bit/64bit, there are other OSes to consider, and some people have multiple installations of the game).

Collecting known hashes of vanilla dats for reference is problematic as there are several platforms involved, plus various patches, and there will always be a period after a patch is released when its hash is unknown. And if SMM ever gets confused, it'll make backups at the wrong time and permanently bake mods.

Something similar could happen if it remembered a hash of the previous patch attempt.

Deleting backups manually is sort of a safety feature. Hopefully the user knows for sure when the game was updated. If I make the app smart enough to check, it'll be smart enough to make stupid mistakes, and the user would have to fight with it to set things right. :roll:
dadestonefish

Postby dadestonefish » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Help I'm trying to get FTL captains edition, but every time i try to patch it says :

Patching failed:
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
C:\Users\user2\Desktop\FTL Faster Than
Light\resources\data.dat (Access is denied)

i even tried running it as admin. Help is much needed.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 pm

dadestonefish wrote:Help I'm trying to get FTL captains edition, but every time i try to patch it says :

Code: Select all

Patching failed:
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
 C:\Users\user2\Desktop\FTL Faster Than Light\resources\data.dat (Access is denied)

i even tried running it as admin. Help is much needed.

Go to that folder yourself, right-click "data.dat", and choose "properties".

Is it set to be read-only? If so, untick that checkbox.

Or if you run the game at the same time as the mod manager, I wouldn't be surprised if that causes an "access denied" error.
minecraften

Postby minecraften » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:59 am

hey, i cant get it to work, whenever i attempt to patch, i get this,
Patching failed:
java.io.FilenotfoundException: C:/Programs Files (x86) /FTL/resources/data.dat (Access is denied)
i do not use the steam version of the game (don't use it at all), have just removed gmm and have not re-installed the game, i have no firewall as of my knowing.

Please help? (this is ALL mods)

*EDIT* whenever i open up the patcher, it says Error writing config to "modman.exe"
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:32 am

minecraften wrote:hey, i cant get it to work, whenever i attempt to patch, i get this,
Patching failed:
java.io.FilenotfoundException: C:/Programs Files (x86) /FTL/resources/data.dat (Access is denied)

it says Error writing config

Right-click modman.exe and "run as administrator".

It needs admin permissions to write to stuff in Program Files.
minecraften

Postby minecraften » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:56 pm

it turns out my "modman.exe" was a read only
also, thanks for the run as admin advice, i can now install and use FTL captains edition!

Thanks! -minecraften