Slipstream Mod Manager v1.9.1 (2018-01-07)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
RAD-82

Re: Slipstream Mod Manager v1.4 (2013-09-20)

Postby RAD-82 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:43 am

kartoFlane wrote:

Code: Select all

<mod:findWithChildLike type="choice" child-type="text">
  <mod:selector>Attempt evasive maneuvers.</mod:selector> <!-- this has to match the <text> tag's value exactly -->
</mod:findWithChildLike>

Thanks! It works, but due to this issue that I've run into, I won't actually be using it yet. I was just asking to learn. :)
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
TheWarThatChanged

Postby TheWarThatChanged » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:53 am

Hello. I just downloaded your manager,but ]every time I open it even though I have mods in the folder the manager can not find them,and shows that nothing is in the folder when I try patching them in
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:31 pm

ColdSuit wrote:Now I downloaded this manager, looked a VoV's video, I think I did everything right, but when I clicked on the modman app to run, it did the black code screen like in the video, but then nothing else happened, can someone please tell me what happened and what to do?

What system do you use? Was there any text at all displayed in the console (the black screen)? If not, look for modman-log.txt in SMM's directory, and post its contents here between [ code ][ /code ] tags.

@RAD-82
Sure thing - the more people learn how to use the advanced tags efficiently, the better :)

TheWarThatChanged wrote:Hello. I just downloaded your manager,but ]every time I open it even though I have mods in the folder the manager can not find them,and shows that nothing is in the folder when I try patching them in

Are you absolutely sure the folder is located in SMM's directory, next to the modman.exe, and named exactly mods?
If yes, are there any error messages in the console and/or modman-log.txt ?
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
crosskid1

Postby crosskid1 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:46 pm

kartoFlane wrote:@crosskid1
What do you want to do? If you just want to play modded game, you don't need to change anything -- just download the mod files (the ones with .ftl extension), put them in mods folder in SMM's directory, and you're ready to install them.

I can download simple mods like disable fleet but not .zip do I have to (once extracting the file) have to take out more files like that or give it a different name or something. I probably sound stupid but it doesn't work . do I have to take out the data and img files and put them somewhere because I've tried everything everyone has said
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:06 pm

crosskid1 wrote:I can download simple mods like disable fleet but not .zip do I have to (once extracting the file) have to take out more files like that or give it a different name or something. I probably sound stupid but it doesn't work . do I have to take out the data and img files and put them somewhere because I've tried everything everyone has said

You don't have to extract anything. Mods are distributed in a ready-to-install .ftl format, which is just a renamed .zip -- it is possible that your system/browser recognises them as such -- but you must not extract them.
If your system/browser automatically unpacks them for you, then try to disable that feature (if you know how), or try right-clicking on the link and selecting something along the lines of "save target as...".

Once you've successfully downloaded the .ftl file, just put it inside mods folder inside SMM's directory, launch the manager and you're ready to install the mod.
crosskid1

Postby crosskid1 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:45 pm

kartoFlane wrote:
crosskid1 wrote:I can download simple mods like disable fleet but not .zip do I have to (once extracting the file) have to take out more files like that or give it a different name or something. I probably sound stupid but it doesn't work . do I have to take out the data and img files and put them somewhere because I've tried everything everyone has said

You don't have to extract anything. Mods are distributed in a ready-to-install .ftl format, which is just a renamed .zip -- it is possible that your system/browser recognises them as such -- but you must not extract them.
If your system/browser automatically unpacks them for you, then try to disable that feature (if you know how), or try right-clicking on the link and selecting something along the lines of "save target as...".

Once you've successfully downloaded the .ftl file, just put it inside mods folder inside SMM's directory, launch the manager and you're ready to install the mod.

Thanks a lot you've really helped me out!!! :D
TheWarThatChanged

Postby TheWarThatChanged » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:21 pm

Yes the mods folder is in the directory and I get this error 08:20:34.125 [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR net.vhati.modmanager.ui.ManagerFrame - Error writing metadata from local mods to "cached_metadata.json". java.io.FileNotFoundException: .\backup\cached_metadata.json (The system cannot find the path specified)
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:51 pm

TheWarThatChanged wrote:Yes the mods folder is in the directory and I get this error 08:20:34.125 [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR net.vhati.modmanager.ui.ManagerFrame - Error writing metadata from local mods to "cached_metadata.json". java.io.FileNotFoundException: .\backup\cached_metadata.json (The system cannot find the path specified)

This error happens on application exit, but... Make sure there is a folder named backup in SMM's directory.
TheWarThatChanged

Postby TheWarThatChanged » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:07 pm

I have that folder...I don't know what's wrong :/
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:48 pm

Generally this error means that the program couldn't find the file to write to / couldn't access it.
- try running SMM as administrator, if you aren't doing that already
- try to create the file yourself - go to the backup folder and create an empty file named cached_metadata.json (you may have to make extensions visible)

Other than that, it seems that your system fails to resolve the current directory name (the dot at the beggining of "./backup..."), but I don't know what could be the cause of that.
Although it's more likely that this is just be the way the error message is shown, transcribing the problematic input without attempting to resolve it.

Either way, if none of that helps, then I guess you'll have to wait for Vhati to come back from holiday break :P