Slipstream Mod Manager v1.9.1 (2018-01-07)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Fox-of-glass

Re: Slipstream Mod Manager v1.6 (2014-10-25)

Postby Fox-of-glass » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:27 pm

New to modding stuff (convert from console gaming) and I was having trouble getting this to work. It seems to installed okay, and I can get to the program but if I try to actually open it, it opens the command prompt for a second, then it closes and nothing happens. I'm using widows 10 and noticed that the Read Me folder said nothing about Windows 10, but mentioned 7 and XP, so is that the issue? If so, does anyone know any mod managers that I can use?
Wmss

Postby Wmss » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:16 am

For all those who have the EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error: uninstall 64 bit Java. It fixed it for me. For some reason Slipstream crashes when trying to use 64 bit.
ethanguy7

Postby ethanguy7 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:43 pm

I'm new to all of modding, and my modman.exe runs, but then says that it can't find its own folder, and quits itself.
I extracted it in downloads, what am I doing wrong?

EDIT:
I downloaded it from the GitHub, now everything works.
havetroublewithmod1

Postby havetroublewithmod1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:14 pm

i have the same issue as the guy above me slipstream could not find its own folder and i got this https://imgur.com/laIfdAu.
when i tried to open the exe or the admin exe it immediately closes.
ThatDarnDarnston

Postby ThatDarnDarnston » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:51 am

kayDANGER wrote:Found a workaround-- moved FTL folder into the default Steam directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\

Now modman.exe recognizes /resources/data.dat and boots properly.

This worked for me! Thank you :D :D :D
Dragomira93

Postby Dragomira93 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:53 pm

Hey,
I have just installed FTL again after taking a long break from it and a reinstall of my PC (all save files are gone). I remember using Slipstream mod manager before and it working fine, but now I can't get it to work. I have looked through the backlog of previous questions with the same problem and tried resolutions, but they haven't worked so far.

The issue is: when I try to launch Slipstream, the Command Prompt briefly opens then immediately closes again. When i try to launch the executable jar file, this is the prompt I get: A Java Exception has occurred.

When I run the runsmm2 file from the Slipstream folder (that is supposed to launch the game directly), I get this message in the Command Prompt:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at org.apache.logging.log4j.util.PropertiesUtil.<init>(PropertiesUtil.ja
va:71)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.util.PropertiesUtil.<clinit>(PropertiesUtil.
java:31)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.status.StatusLogger.<clinit>(StatusLogger.ja
va:48)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.LogManager.<clinit>(LogManager.java:44)
at net.vhati.modmanager.FTLModManager.<clinit>(FTLModManager.java:25)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.logging.log4j.util.ProviderUtil.<clinit>(ProviderUtil.java
:70)
... 5 more
Press any key to continue . . .

Resolutions I've tried so far:
- uninstalling and reinstalling Java 32 bit and 64 bit version. Right now both 32 and 64 bit are installed.
- completely removing and reinstalling FTL with steam, in the default folder.
- I checked the read-only status of the resource.dat and data.dat
- I started with a new install of Slipstream (redownloaded, clean version 1.6)

I am not familiar with modding at all (just setting up userfriendly setups made by others ;) ), so I don't know how I could fix Slipstream so I can mod FTL again.

Other PC specs:
- windows 8.1
- 64 bit operating system

Thanks in advance for the help!
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:44 am

Dragomira93 wrote:Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at org.apache.logging.log4j.util.PropertiesUtil.<init>(PropertiesUtil.java:71)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.util.PropertiesUtil.<clinit>(PropertiesUtil.java:31)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.status.StatusLogger.<clinit>(StatusLogger.java:48)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.LogManager.<clinit>(LogManager.java:44)
at net.vhati.modmanager.FTLModManager.<clinit>(FTLModManager.java:25)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.logging.log4j.util.ProviderUtil.<clinit>(ProviderUtil.java:70)

Are there accented or otherwise exotic/punctuation characters in your directory names anywhere, like C:\Users\username?

Exclamation marks in paths seem to be a known fatal problem in Java.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:38 pm

mr_easy_money wrote:
AquaRegisteel wrote:Anyways, it seems no mods work at all, only vanilla works, so I'm not sure why that's the case.

I'm not sure what's going on with other mods not working, but I had a look inside the mod, and there's definitely something wrong with it.
[...]
I also noticed in some instances the top line of some of the files has "utf=8" instead of "utf-8", but I don't think there's anything wrong with this. I'm also constantly confused what this line is even for :roll:
Yes, "utf-8" (minus, not equals).

<?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“utf-8”?>

That is an XML declaration line. When writing XML, It's generally polite to include those as an extra hint for decoding the text properly. SMM ignores and strips it when reading, checking for a BOM hint or simply trying utf-8/windows-1252. Regardless of what the original encoding was, SMM generates a new declaration and reencodes to windows-1252, as FTL expects.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:45 pm

Oh fun, Java 9 changed its registry keys. Looks like I'll have to update my modman.exe to find it.

Article: Oracle JDK 9 Migration Guide
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:00 am

Just as a heads-up, early tests of the upcoming FTL update are now on the Steam Beta Branch. The file system being used for this is quite different, and Slipstream will NOT work with it in its current state. Instead of there being a data.dat and resource.dat in the Resources folder, there's instead a single ftl.dat in the root folder containing everything.